1 controller to multiple drones. Is it possible?
731 12 2023-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

Hey guys. Ive been flying rc heli and rc cars for over 8 years. Using Spektrum Dx7s controller. I can pair my 1 remote to up to like 10 different rc heli or car. Once pair the remote to the receiver, i do not need to pair or update any firmware for it to work. Now to dji remote. When i pair my remote to mini 2. I can use it any time i want. But then i lf i pair to my mavic 3 pro, it will update firmware for the mavic 3 pro and bind it to the mavic 3 pro. But if i want to use it again on my mini 2, it will ask me to update firmware again for the mini 2. Then i have to repair it. And when i want to use it to fly my mavic 3 pro again, it ask me to update firmware for the mavic 3 pro. Like wth. Cant i just use 1 remote for 2 or more drones? If i already update firmware and pair them, why do i keep having to do it again when i want to switch. Like I said, ive been flying my rc heli and rc cars using 1 remote. So why cant this be done with dji drone. Or is there a way to do it without having to update firmware and pair them each time.
2023-5-31
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I thought, perhaps mistakenly, that the controller 'carried' both versions of the firmware in its memory and that what you see when it is "updating the firmware" is more akin to a reboot on a computer when you swap between operating systems.
2023-5-31
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-31 09:10
I thought, perhaps mistakenly, that the controller 'carried' both versions of the firmware in its memory and that what you see when it is "updating the firmware" is more akin to a reboot on a computer when you swap between operating systems.

You are correct. More like switching between HDMI and antenna input on a TV.
2023-5-31
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

I thought, perhaps mistakenly, that the controller 'carried' both versions of the firmware in its memory and that what you see when it is "updating the firmware" is more akin to a reboot on a computer when you swap between operating systems.

So if it storage both firmware on the remote. Why does it keep asking to update firmware when i switch. It gets annoying. If its already paired, it should just turn on and connect like normal. But it doesnt. I have to manually update firmware when i want to change drones. I hope they can fix it where it will auto connect to whatever drone you already pair it. Example if i pair it to my mini2, mini3, air 2s, and maivc 3 pro. When i turn on the remote and open dji fly app, all i need to do is turn on the drone and it will auto connect without forcing to manually choose the drone and update firmware.
2023-5-31
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

I thought, perhaps mistakenly, that the controller 'carried' both versions of the firmware in its memory and that what you see when it is "updating the firmware" is more akin to a reboot on a computer when you swap between operating systems.

That's exactly what it is...

Because each drone has/does offer different options, it needs to load the correct version for it, while in the DX7 it gives you the option to pick one of the memory slot, where all the setting for that particular plane/car have been stored...

So while in the DX7 you have to pick the correct heli/plane/car from the list before you start to fly, in the DJI you do the same thing... It may take a bit longer to load on the DJI, but the system is safer that way... I did see several times people starting to fly/drive with the wrong model selected back in the old days.. At least with the DJI radios this cannot happen...
2023-5-31
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 5-31 11:43
So if it storage both firmware on the remote. Why does it keep asking to update firmware when i switch. It gets annoying. If its already paired, it should just turn on and connect like normal. But it doesnt. I have to manually update firmware when i want to change drones. I hope they can fix it where it will auto connect to whatever drone you already pair it. Example if i pair it to my mini2, mini3, air 2s, and maivc 3 pro. When i turn on the remote and open dji fly app, all i need to do is turn on the drone and it will auto connect without forcing to manually choose the drone and update firmware.

"Why does it keep asking to update firmware w..."
It's saying "updating" because the message is badly worded and that is quite a common problem when dealing with DJI messages. It might be more accurate to say "changing firmware".

As far as I remember the two drones use different communication protocols and those protocols require different firmware. If you swap between drones that use different communication protocols the controller has to 'reboot' and load the alternative firmware.
The Mavic 3 has  the new protocol, your older drones presumably all use the old communication protocol and the same old firmware.

You either learn to live with it or use two controllers, there's no point in getting annoyed about it, that's just the way things are.
2023-5-31
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13335725 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, Sean is right. The different Ocusync versions require different firmware. Mini 2 = O2. M3P = O3+.
For example, the RC Pro Enterprise can be flashed with consumer RC Pro firmware just fine. It'll then work with all drones that the normal RC Pro can work with, it won't work with the Mavic 3 Enterprise while on this firmware though. The difference here is that this firmware gets flashed back to Enterprise on every reboot automatically. DJI claims that the RC Pro Enterprise isn't compatible with consumer drones. They're also a bunch of liars.

TLDR - Be happy DJI allows your RC to work with multiple drones. My RC Pro has the ability to do the same, but DJI has done everything to take that convenience away.
2023-5-31
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-31 13:12
"Why does it keep asking to update firmware w..."
It's saying "updating" because the message is badly worded and that is quite a common problem when dealing with DJI messages. It might be more accurate to say "changing firmware".

Plus it only takes about 7 seconds to update with the RC Pro...
2023-5-31
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

Questions. If I don't have wifi will it still update? I only tried at home so I always have wifi to update the firmware. So just wondering if say I'm out in the woods with no wifi, will it still update to firmware?
2023-5-31
Use props
Burt37
lvl.4
Australia

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 5-31 18:37
Questions. If I don't have wifi will it still update? I only tried at home so I always have wifi to update the firmware. So just wondering if say I'm out in the woods with no wifi, will it still update to firmware?

I'm quite sure it doesn't connect to anything other than reloading the correct firmware, so yes...
2023-5-31
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13335725 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Questions. If I don't have wifi will it still update? I only tried at home so I always have wifi to update the firmware. So just wondering if say I'm out in the woods with no wifi, will it still update to firmware?

It's more like installing the correct driver for DJI's Ocusync SDR. It's not flashing a completely new firmware each time. Linux kernels are saved in the boot partition so they're one of the first things loaded after the BIOS. My guess is this is why my RC Pro Enterprise becomes incompatible again after every reboot. Until someone can root the RC Pros, we won't have read/write access to this boot partition and we're stuck with DJI's segregation of their own products.   
2023-5-31
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. It is normal that you will be prompted to update the firmware of your remote controller since you are using 2 different aircraft with 2 different firmware used. However, we will take this as suggestion of yours and will forward to our desingated team for attention. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-5-31
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Questions. If I don't have wifi will it still update? I only tried at home so I always have wifi to update the firmware. So just wondering if say I'm out in the woods with no wifi, will it still update to firmware?

I am left wondering, do you actually read the responses given to you? That's a rhetorical question.

Why do you keep referring to "update", you have been told that what actually happens is more in the nature of a change of firmware versions?
Why not use the word "change" since it is more accurate?
Doing that might help dispel you concerns and ire.

Besides you can very easily check that for yourself, either switch the wifi off on the controller or switch the wifi off in you house or test is somewhere where there is no wifi.

For that matter the the app displays both the drone's firmware version and the controller's firmware version.
For both sets either screen-capture the serial numbers or  write them down .... make your swaps enough times that you can check the 'new' versions, do they differ from the old versions?
2023-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules