The Corpach Wreck and Ben Nevis
664 28 2023-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Albion Drones
First Officer
Flight distance : 2605597 ft
United Kingdom

The final footage from our recent Highland Holiday, and the last taken on the journey up to Drumnadrochit on the first day, the Old Boat of Caol and Ben Nevis...

This was the 9th flight of the day, and without a car charger - which we now have - I was lterally running on battery fumes - the total flight was 2mins 25 seconds before the drone autolanded, which means I have had to use some footage that I would not normally have done, especially when the drone was bouncing around in the gusty wind!

Still, the sun was shining, Ben Nevis was somewhat visible and the old boat is always an interesting subject...

So, thats it, all of the footage processed and posted, a total of 35 locations visited and separate video's made, each with its own feel...

I will perhaps do a couple of showreels, one of the sunny days and one of the more atmospheric days and share in the next few days, and then the next big drone adventure is Orkney in late June...

2023-5-31
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Beautiful spot. Where is that wreck? On the north or west shore of Loch Linnhe?
2023-5-31
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 5-31 21:47
Beautiful spot. Where is that wreck? On the north or west shore of Loch Linnhe?

North Shore of Loch Linnhe, you can just about see it from the Fort William main through road if you know where to look... I got a couple of good photos from that location in October 2019..

Take the A830 Road to the Isles from Fort William, and then about 3 miles on take the left turn to Corpach Station, follow the road around to the Caledonian Canal and then walk over the locks and along the path to the left for about 200metres, then turn onto the beach after you pass the stream.
2023-5-31
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great views. The wreck is an interesting feature, but it's a shame to see it rotting away like that in such abeautiful spot.  Love your photos further down the page too.  I have fond memories of climbing Ben Nevis - but that was about 30 years ago
2023-5-31
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 5-31 23:07
Great views. The wreck is an interesting feature, but it's a shame to see it rotting away like that in such abeautiful spot.  Love your photos further down the page too.  I have fond memories of climbing Ben Nevis - but that was about 30 years ago

Thanks... I haven't  been up Ben Nevis yet, although I think my mountain climbing days are long past now - last one we did was Scafell Pike abut 7 years ago, and it almost killed me - unless I get a lot fitter, which I think will only happen once we get out of FT work and into Scotland to live...
2023-5-31
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albion Drones Posted at 5-31 23:21
Thanks... I haven't  been up Ben Nevis yet, although I think my mountain climbing days are long past now - last one we did was Scafell Pike abut 7 years ago, and it almost killed me - unless I get a lot fitter, which I think will only happen once we get out of FT work and into Scotland to live...

I would struggle to get back there now, at my age.  My only regret is, although 4 of us set off on the climb in sunshine on a July morning, by the time we summited we were in blanket fog and about 18 inches of snow. So we never got to enjoy the view
Had a similar experience on Snowdon ( or Yr Wyddfa), but I got a second go at that and arrived at the summit in full sun the second time.  And even though my good lady is from Cumberland (NOT Cumbria!  She insists    )  we've never been up Scafell Pike.
2023-5-31
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

We were fortunate with Scafell, clear views and a warm Septemeber day - too warm tbh - had clear views on Tryfan and the Glyder's too, but havent managed to do Snowdon, perhaps one day I shall take the drone up weather permitting...
2023-5-31
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albion Drones Posted at 5-31 23:50
We were fortunate with Scafell, clear views and a warm Septemeber day - too warm tbh - had clear views on Tryfan and the Glyder's too, but havent managed to do Snowdon, perhaps one day I shall take the drone up weather permitting...

Always good to have a future project in mind
Can't wait for your Orkney series
2023-6-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very lovely views surrounding the old wreck.    Appears you squeezed enough out of that last battery just in time.  
2023-6-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Albion Drones Posted at 5-31 22:23
North Shore of Loch Linnhe, you can just about see it from the Fort William main through road if you know where to look... I got a couple of good photos from that location in October 2019..[view_image]

Take the A830 Road to the Isles from Fort William, and then about 3 miles on take the left turn to Corpach Station, follow the road around to the Caledonian Canal and then walk over the locks and along the path to the left for about 200metres, then turn onto the beach after you pass the stream.

Magnificent shots.  Love the reflections in the first shot.  
2023-6-1
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-1 02:14
Very lovely views surrounding the old wreck.    Appears you squeezed enough out of that last battery just in time.

Thanks... Yeah, the drone was telling me to land as soon as I took off, and then 2 mins later it was trying to autoland, hence the start includes the takeoff and the end includes the landing - I think there was 3% battery left on switch-off - I was releived to say the least! But havign to work quickly and efficiently certainly makes you creative! The previous flight at Glencoe Lochan was another with limited battery, as was the Sunny Day in Glencoe, each was showing less than 35 to 25% battery at take off...
2023-6-1
Use props
CristianDaniel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1683097 ft
Romania

nice
2023-6-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Albion Drones Posted at 6-1 02:39
Thanks... Yeah, the drone was telling me to land as soon as I took off, and then 2 mins later it was trying to autoland, hence the start includes the takeoff and the end includes the landing - I think there was 3% battery left on switch-off - I was releived to say the least! But havign to work quickly and efficiently certainly makes you creative! The previous flight at Glencoe Lochan was another with limited battery, as was the Sunny Day in Glencoe, each was showing less than 35 to 25% battery at take off...

You're very welcome.

You're much braver than me with the drone.  I try to land with no less than 20% but a couple of times I found the drone fighting the wind and using sport mode got it back but only had 8% left.  So now I always try to fly out against the wind and return with the wind behind the drone.  
2023-6-1
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Albion Drones Posted at 5-31 22:23
North Shore of Loch Linnhe, you can just about see it from the Fort William main through road if you know where to look... I got a couple of good photos from that location in October 2019..[view_image]

Take the A830 Road to the Isles from Fort William, and then about 3 miles on take the left turn to Corpach Station, follow the road around to the Caledonian Canal and then walk over the locks and along the path to the left for about 200metres, then turn onto the beach after you pass the stream.

Thanks.
Gorgeous photos!
2023-6-1
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-1 03:36
You're very welcome.

You're much braver than me with the drone.  I try to land with no less than 20% but a couple of times I found the drone fighting the wind and using sport mode got it back but only had 8% left.  So now I always try to fly out against the wind and return with the wind behind the drone.

As do I normally, but this was the last place to fly, I was keeping it in close and just had to go for it - same with the Glencoe Lochan, took off with 30% and landed with 10%, but amazing footage form there too... I have an in-car charger now, so can charge the batteries to 100% between flights, when moving from one location to another, which is a lot less stressful
2023-6-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Albion Drones Posted at 6-1 04:27
As do I normally, but this was the last place to fly, I was keeping it in close and just had to go for it - same with the Glencoe Lochan, took off with 30% and landed with 10%, but amazing footage form there too... I have an in-car charger now, so can charge the batteries to 100% between flights, when moving from one location to another, which is a lot less stressful

No doubt an in-car charger is a necessity for travel trips.  I have 6 of the Mini 3 Pro extended batteries and so far I've never been able to use all of them in one day.  Guess I need to try harder.  
2023-6-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Beautiful captures!
2023-6-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Absolutely glorious shots.    This is a place I could spend a lot of time.
2023-6-3
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 6-1 22:36
Beautiful captures!

Thank you, it is appreciated
2023-6-3
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-3 02:25
Absolutely glorious shots.    This is a place I could spend a lot of time.

Yeah, we would have done if I had some more battery charge... Perhaps next time we are in the area, in the autumn, on our way to Skye...
2023-6-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albion Drones Posted at 6-3 02:31
Yeah, we would have done if I had some more battery charge... Perhaps next time we are in the area, in the autumn, on our way to Skye...

I have a couple of chargers for the car that plug into the cigarette lighter sockets,    charges the Mini 3 in no time,  unlike the mavic 2.  
2023-6-3
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-3 02:35
I have a couple of chargers for the car that plug into the cigarette lighter sockets,    charges the Mini 3 in no time,  unlike the mavic 2.

Yeah, I have one now for the MINI3 Pro, need to look at options when I finally get my hands on a Mavic3, at some point in the future...
2023-6-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Albion Drones Posted at 6-3 02:30
Thank you, it is appreciated

You're welcome!
2023-6-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albion Drones Posted at 6-3 02:36
Yeah, I have one now for the MINI3 Pro, need to look at options when I finally get my hands on a Mavic3, at some point in the future...

I'll be skipping the Mavic 3,    it's just too limited to fly here now we only go by the weight.  Even under article 16 you still need a 35m bubble around the drone.
2023-6-3
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-3 23:03
I'll be skipping the Mavic 3,    it's just too limited to fly here now we only go by the weight.  Even under article 16 you still need a 35m bubble around the drone.

Yup, I get that, but I need someonthing larger that can handle more wind, for exposed areas of the country... We are off to Skye and Lewis/Harris in the autumn, and I know the winds can be quite wild, so something bigger that I can still fly is needed, and tbh the distance to people out there isnt going to be an issue.. I wont be getting rid of the M3P tho, just having the 2 will give me more options, plus a larger drone can be seen from further away, so easier to keep VLOS...
2023-6-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albion Drones Posted at 6-3 23:38
Yup, I get that, but I need someonthing larger that can handle more wind, for exposed areas of the country... We are off to Skye and Lewis/Harris in the autumn, and I know the winds can be quite wild, so something bigger that I can still fly is needed, and tbh the distance to people out there isnt going to be an issue.. I wont be getting rid of the M3P tho, just having the 2 will give me more options, plus a larger drone can be seen from further away, so easier to keep VLOS...

Sadly though its not just people its any structure, beach, footpath, building, vehicle etc that counts towards that bubble.     But I hear you thats why I kept the Mavic 2 Pro.
2023-6-4
Use props
The Mantis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 295961 ft
United Kingdom

The wreck is the MV Dayspring and most people will photograph it without being aware of the depressing circumstances the young owner has faced STORY HERE
2023-6-7
Use props
Codgerzh2
First Officer
Flight distance : 15567024 ft
United Kingdom

Excellent footage
2023-8-13
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Thanks, it was blowing an absolute hoolie and I was running on the dregs of a battery, so had to be quick
2023-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules