Can part 107 fly beyond vlos?
853 9 2023-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

Im confuse here. I read that if you have part 107 you can fly beyond vlos. And it is only for recreational purposes that you must fly within vlos. Then i read that even part 107, you still have to fly within vlos. To be able to fly beyond vlos you need to get apply and get approve from FAA and give them a reason why you need to do it and wait like 90 days and they can appove or deny it. Like wtf. I didnt pay $2000 to fly within 500 feet. I can barely see my tiny drone once it goes pass 500 feet. I want to fly to places that is like at 10,000 feet or even futher away and no way i can see that tiny drone at that distance. But these drones are so advanced its impossible to crash. So why are we limit to vlos? In my opinion its much safer to fly using the camera, aka drones eyes, then using our own eyes to fly when all we see is a tiny pea size flying around. This is BS. Wonder whys dumb idea it is to make it vlos. Lol. That person needs a bish slap in the face. XD
2023-6-1
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

1 question. If I fly beyond vlos, say 10,000 feet. Will it trigger a alert to the FFA saying this person have flown beyond vlos and they can come get me? Or they won't know? I see bunch of youtubers posting way beyond 10,000 ft. Like 30,000 feet. So just wondering.

Ps: i live in the usa.
2023-6-1
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

NO!! At the moment you cannot fly BVLOS, even with Part 107. It IS being strongly considered by the FAA right now. No, it is not aimed at you seeing your tiny drone only. It is so that you can see what is around your tiny drone. You forget that there are MANNED AIRCRAFT which your tiny drone might contact and crash into, especially if you can't see it!
2023-6-1
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

agreed with mobilehomer and if the pilot had taken the trust test, he would know this if he wants to legally fly recreationally.  op, you still need to take and pass the trust test regardless if you flying an unregistered drone under 250g.
2023-6-1
Use props
Mastoras
lvl.4
Flight distance : 558517 ft
  • >>>
United States

Honestly, one of the big threats you will probably have is birds. If you can't see your drone, those birds could easily bring it down and you wouldn't know what hit you if you was just on your screen. That's just one safety reason for that
2023-6-1
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

You have a lot going on in your post.  It's really hard to give you a serious reply.   
2023-6-1
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 6-1 06:40
NO!! At the moment you cannot fly BVLOS, even with Part 107. It IS being strongly considered by the FAA right now. No, it is not aimed at you seeing your tiny drone only. It is so that you can see what is around your tiny drone. You forget that there are MANNED AIRCRAFT which your tiny drone might contact and crash into, especially if you can't see it!
Isnt that the point of 400 ft agl? Planes min height is 500 feet. So if we keep our drones 400 ft agl, it doesn't matter if it is 100ft distance vs 10,000ft, distance. The agl is still below 400 feet. Who is gonna hit? Superman? Lmao. If flying beyond vlos is so dangerous like yall say, why is there wavier for flying beyond vlos? So all of a suddent its ok to fly dangerous if you pay the government some money to fly bvlos. Lol. Seem like money grabber than being safe.

This is quote i found.
BVLOS and Regulations
Flying BVLOS operations where drones fly long distances can only be achieved with special approvals like Part 107 waivers issued under the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
2023-6-1
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 6-1 08:58
Isnt that the point of 400 ft agl? Planes min height is 500 feet. So if we keep our drones 4pp ft agl, it doesn't matter if it is 100ft distance vs 10,000ft, distance. The agl is still below 400 feet. Who is gonna hit? Superman? Lmao

"planes min height is 500 feet" is a myth.  lots of manned aircraft fly below 500 feet including helicopters, balloons, crop dusters, news choppers, police aircraft....including planes during take off and landing where your limit could be under 400 feet with laanc.  since there are so many factors, the only safe way for drones to fly is vlos, for now.  in uncontrolled aircraft, you might see unmanned aircraft at any altitude.  unmanned aircraft always have the right of way over drones.

apparently when remote id is effective, faa will be more flexible to re-address this (with waivers) which basically means to me bvlos is more about identifying the pilot than safety.

nonetheless, it's the law for now.
2023-6-1
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 6-1 08:58
Isnt that the point of 400 ft agl? Planes min height is 500 feet. So if we keep our drones 400 ft agl, it doesn't matter if it is 100ft distance vs 10,000ft, distance. The agl is still below 400 feet. Who is gonna hit? Superman? Lmao. If flying beyond vlos is so dangerous like yall say, why is there wavier for flying beyond vlos? So all of a suddent its ok to fly dangerous if you pay the government some money to fly bvlos. Lol. Seem like money grabber than being safe.

This is quote i found.

Your screen shows altitude above TAKE OFF point NOT AGL!!!  You could start at 100' AGL and at 2500' distance be 1000'AGL without adding any altitude. And at the moment, BVLOS waivers are almost impossible to get. As Saint mentioned, there are many manned craft that fly lower than 500'.
2023-6-1
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13335725 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is about like asking "Do I have to follow the speed limits if I have my drivers license?"
I didnt pay $2000 to fly within 500 feet
How do you think a $300,000 Lamborghini owner feels about a 45 mph road? It doesn't matter their thought because their opinion is irrelevant. It's the law and you don't make them. Your entitled teenage self is the one that needs "bish slapped".
2023-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules