Avata goes NUTS every time I crash.
2335 14 2023-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Siemore
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

Hey guys, so I love my new avata, but every time I crash it (which happens often as I am a new fpv pilot) it goes completely insane.
The motors just go complete ape-sh*t and make tons of noise!!
I have no idea why that happens. I always take the power off the throttle completely and try to turn off the motors with a custom button setting but it just does what it wants.
It's usually just stuck because I fly it in very tall grass to not destroy the drone with the amount of crashes I get. It does not fly away rampantly or anything crazy but I honestly fear the motors to explode or some mad stuff because it goes FULL THROTTLE!!!
The noise is the worst, it's already a super noisy drone, but like this it sounds like a war drone no kidding.
Anyone knows what the reason could be? Appreciate it.
2023-6-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the incident that happened on your unit. In this case, I'm afraid that you may consider sending in the unit for proper diagnostics. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support . Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-6-1
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

sending the unit in for diagnostics will not do you any good.

lots of users have reported this behaviour on the avata.... DJI (and dji fanboys) are always saying it is pilot error....

so far, DJI has not done aything to fix this. it IS a FW issue... 100%
the drone should ALWAYS react to a disarm command (that's why you have set up the custom switch, to be able to disarm in an "oh sh*t" situation to prevent further/more damage/danger)
2023-6-1
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5414203 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Greetings from Berlin to Berlin.

Usually FPV drones try to maintain their attitude by controlling the motors. If the drone thinks it is still flying but is actually grounded the motors may power up until their limits to correct the attitude. On "normal" FPV drones the pilot just disarms the drone to shut the motors down. On the Avata you double press the Start/Stop button on the remote to shut down the motors. That's how FPV drones operate, there's no issue in the motors acting that way.
2023-6-1
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

How to fix the issue...stop crashing. No Brainer lol. Not any dji fan boy, but most time it isn't dji fault, it's the user.
2023-6-1
Use props
Siemore
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

SeehawerB Posted at 6-1 21:39
Greetings from Berlin to Berlin.

Usually FPV drones try to maintain their attitude by controlling the motors. If the drone thinks it is still flying but is actually grounded the motors may power up until their limits to correct the attitude. On "normal" FPV drones the pilot just disarms the drone to shut the motors down. On the Avata you double press the Start/Stop button on the remote to shut down the motors. That's how FPV drones operate, there's no issue in the motors acting that way.

Hallo mein Lieber.
I don't understand how a "manual" drone should try to maintain altitude. Isn't that what a FPV drone should NOT do? Because it is "manual"?
So you think when I double press the Start/Stop button the motors will just stop?
Isn't that, what the other custom mode, which I set up should already do?
Maybe I should also set the tick on emergency motor stop or what it's called on? Where you have to get both joysticks into the inner corners?
Thanks regardless.
2023-6-1
Use props
Siemore
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 6-1 22:11
How to fix the issue...stop crashing. No Brainer lol. Not any dji fan boy, but most time it isn't dji fault, it's the user.

Okey, not here to spread any hate, but this is literally the dumbest comment I read all week.
Show me one PROFESSIONAL drone pilot, who doesn't crash.
I know my rate is high, but you literally can't avoid it at some point.
FPV? Crashes happen. End of story.
Your answer might as well say: "Don't fly FPV".
2023-6-1
Use props
Siemore
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

BadBert Posted at 6-1 21:34
sending the unit in for diagnostics will not do you any good.

lots of users have reported this behaviour on the avata.... DJI (and dji fanboys) are always saying it is pilot error....

Yes, exactly what I've heard other "real" FPV pilots talk about. That's a big issue.
Also, because of this my drone actually almost destroyed itself yesterday.
I flew into a tree from above and actually managed to fall through quite graciously.
But then the drone started again to do it's on damn thing.
It went ABSOLUTE BERSERK.
Like you couldn't believe it. Mind you, I was still in manual mode and just went off the throttle. Because I was only about 1 meter above the ground and the floor was super soft and full of leaves, I decided to just let it drop. No issue there, right?
But the drone thought: "NO! Gotta MAINTAIN ALTITUDE!!" and started flying all retarded. (Sorry for my choice of words here, but there is no better way to describe it)
It started launching into every other tree around with FULL F*CKING THROTTLE and did the maddest stuff I'd never do.
Yes, I'm a beginner, but years of extreme sport made me be able to keep my cool in stressful scenarios like these. I tried to just shut the damn motors off. IT DID NOT WANT TO DO IT!!!
I love this drone, but I slowly and surely start to hate it.
If I send it in DJI will just say: "Oh yeah you crashed it a dozen times, there is some blablabla damage because of it, let us tax you off your care refresh."
2023-6-1
Use props
Koolada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 877999 ft
Germany

Siemore Posted at 6-1 22:39
Yes, exactly what I've heard other "real" FPV pilots talk about. That's a big issue.
Also, because of this my drone actually almost destroyed itself yesterday.
I flew into a tree from above and actually managed to fall through quite graciously.
But did it Just Go Like 100 meter in the Air if this happens or are the motors Just Spinning for a moment? What the other reffering should be something else from your Initial Post. The branch Situation sounded alot Like this I Had something smillar that endet in a housewall, Drone hitted a branch and one Rotor broke then it went uncontrollable and speeded Up Like crazy till the housewall stopped it.
Was with the Motion Controller.

Don't mind the people that Tell stuff Like don't Crash Blabla, thats 100% Part of FPV and getting better. Every Drone can handle this and wont break if not flown in a metal wall or something. And whatever happens you are Always able to disarm, not Like the avata.
DJI is even advertising it Like it bounces of walls when you Crash and so on.

The sad Story ist that they wont do ... If you send it in, If your lucky and Just complain enaugh maybe they Swap it out but that wont fix anything. The situation right now is that you have to live with it or just sell
2023-6-1
Use props
Siemore
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

Koolada Posted at 6-1 23:14
But did it Just Go Like 100 meter in the Air if this happens or are the motors Just Spinning for a moment? What the other reffering should be something else from your Initial Post. The branch Situation sounded alot Like this I Had something smillar that endet in a housewall, Drone hitted a branch and one Rotor broke then it went uncontrollable and speeded Up Like crazy till the housewall stopped it.
Was with the Motion Controller.

I know this is a different story from what I initially posted, where it was just stuck in the grass and wouldn’t fly anywhere but overclock the motors.
This is the first time it actually started flying uncontrollably.
It did not launch into the sky, but rather went left and right and fowards and backwards.
It was in a group of trees and just flew into tree after tree after tree... Horrific.
2023-6-1
Use props
Koolada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 877999 ft
Germany

Siemore Posted at 6-1 23:21
I know this is a different story from what I initially posted, where it was just stuck in the grass and wouldn’t fly anywhere but overclock the motors.
This is the first time it actually started flying uncontrollably.
It did not launch into the sky, but rather went left and right and fowards and backwards.

And now think about this when you have some commercial shoot in a town or something. The Avata should taken out of circulation its Dangerous...

The Tree thing seems to be the Problem the others are pointing out. The thing with the motors could be normal, if your Flight controller detects that the Motors are spining to low because its stuck in some Grass it trys to increase the Motor Speed to get to this point, think its the same if you just take away the props and start the drone, they get faster and faster because the weight of the Rotors is missing.
2023-6-2
Use props
Giusy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 736289 ft
Switzerland

Hey there,

I had the same thing when doing a power loop and hitted the ground almost flat. It started giving power and went in the air again but the double press on the ‚Start/Stop‘ Button worked to shut the motors off. Maybe some settings you have to change?

Greetings from Switzerland. :-)
2023-6-4
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

lots of users have reported this behaviour on the avata.
2023-6-8
Use props
djiuser_pmJzdZydW7Ju
lvl.2

United States

I know this post is over 6 months old, but this is what has happened to me the last couple of times flying my avata in full manual mode! I tried to go on Reddit on the DJI sub and of course people were trying to make it seem like it was pilot error, but now I'm seeing this is an issue with the avata. My drone actually went nuts and flew erratically sideways a few hundred feet after the crash and I had no control over it at all! I tried air brake I tried to cut the motors  EVERYTHING! It was scary as hell! Thankfully I was in a desolate park in the evening, but have I not had been it really could have done some serious damage to someone or something and there was nothing I could have done! I've been wanting to grab a traditional fpv drone lately and these few incidents are making me want to do that even more because I know with those if you crash it stops or you can definitely cut off the motors and stop it yourself!
2-16 09:29
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

djiuser_pmJzdZydW7Ju Posted at 2-16 09:29
I know this post is over 6 months old, but this is what has happened to me the last couple of times flying my avata in full manual mode! I tried to go on Reddit on the DJI sub and of course people were trying to make it seem like it was pilot error, but now I'm seeing this is an issue with the avata. My drone actually went nuts and flew erratically sideways a few hundred feet after the crash and I had no control over it at all! I tried air brake I tried to cut the motors  EVERYTHING! It was scary as hell! Thankfully I was in a desolate park in the evening, but have I not had been it really could have done some serious damage to someone or something and there was nothing I could have done! I've been wanting to grab a traditional fpv drone lately and these few incidents are making me want to do that even more because I know with those if you crash it stops or you can definitely cut off the motors and stop it yourself!

Hello, there. Thank you for expressing concern. We truly apologize for the inconvenience, and we are sad to hear that you have had this experience. We strongly recommend that preflight checks be completed before to takeoff to guarantee flight safety and that all parts are fully operational. Please also exercise extreme caution when flying above people on your future flights. Regarding the crash incidence, we propose sending the DJI drone for a complete diagnosis and repair.

It is our responsibility to secure future flight performance and safety. Don't worry; if your DJI Drone is still under warranty, we can open a data analysis request to determine the cause. We'll make you an offer based on the findings. To submit an online request, please visit: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index.
2-16 14:27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules