713 6 2023-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

or do they pass the same current through each cell?

I just started to wonder why there are multiple positive and negative terminals in/on the charger 'plugs'.

Although the question could apply to affer market chargers I was thinking primarily about

a) DJI chargers as supplied with the drone and/or

b) hubs supplied with the flymore kits.

2023-6-1
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Not sure if I have understood your question, but all decent Lipo battery charger do two jobs.
They charge the pack but they also balance the pack. So for instance the Mavic battery is a S4 5000mha with 8 pin output...

2 pin are the main power positive and negative
1 pin common for the balancer
4 pins one for each of the cell for the balancer
1 pin for the internal eprom data chip (power switch)

So all cells are charged simultaneously and if one cell deviate too much from the other, then the charger stops charging and begin balancing, by lowering the voltage of the higher cells. Once they are all back in line or within specs, the charge starts again... When they reach around 4.2 volts each, your battery is fully charge and ready to go...
2023-6-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Burt37 Posted at 6-1 16:39
Not sure if I have understood your question, but all decent Lipo battery charger do two jobs.
They charge the pack but they also balance the pack. So for instance the Mavic battery is a S4 5000mha with 8 pin output...

Thanks, just to check my understanding of what you are saying.

"So all cells are charged simultaneously" by charging the cells in series via "2 pin are the main power positive and negative"   ?

"then the charger stops charging" meaning it stops the current flowing in and out via "2 pin are the main power positive and negative" ? ......... and.....
passes current either via "4 pins one for each of the cell for the balancer" to the charger's plug or internally via the battery's own BMS, between pairs of cells to equalise their voltages ?
2023-6-1
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-1 17:12
Thanks, just to check my understanding of what you are saying.

"So all cells are charged simultaneously" by charging the cells in series via "2 pin are the main power positive and negative"   ?

Yes all cells are charged simultaneously via the two main pin like any other battery. The only difference with lipo is that while the battery has being charge, the balancer can keep an eye on each individual cell to prevent them getting away from each other...

Normally you only take power away to balance LIpo via each individual wire (one for each cell + common).  You don't feed voltage on those wires but apply small resistance

Some cheap charger can charge lipo via the blancer wires, but it is not the best way to mantain good lipos and it takes a lot longer

2023-6-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi, Sean. Thank you for reaching out. We will coordinate this with our designated team for clarification. We will keep you posted. Thank you.
2023-6-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks Burtt37 and Paladin
2023-6-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-1 22:43
Thanks Burtt37 and Paladin

You are always welcome, Sean. Have a nice day ahead.
2023-6-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules