Hot iPad
2324 11 2015-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gerutzen
lvl.1
United States

I am using an iPad Air 2 with the controller for my Phantom 3 Pro.  The iPad gets very hot during a 15 to 20 minute flight.  In fact, one time the iPad shut down due to high temperature.  Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?   Is there a technique for avoiding the high temperature?
2015-8-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I am using the very same configuration, but having the very opposite experience here.
My IPad Air 2 64GB Cellular, remains cool to the touch, even after flying four intelligent flight batteries. Odd that some of you are having this condition happening.
I wonder, under General Settings, are you flying with Enable Hardware Decode turned on, or off?

That can affect the condition that you reported.
So, please turn yours off and see if this changes the over heating iPad Air issue.

I can't think of anything else.

RedHotPoker
2015-8-26
Use props
gerutzen
lvl.1
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-8-27 05:15
I am using the very same configuration, but having the very opposite experience here.
My IPad Air 2 ...

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll check the settings tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.
2015-8-26
Use props
gerutzen
lvl.1
United States

young.selina@ro Posted at 2015-8-27 06:39
No, definitely not - is your iPad a genuine one???

Well, I certainly hope it is genuine.   I paid enough for it.   How can I determine if it is genuine?
2015-8-26
Use props
StephLed
lvl.2
Flight distance : 347365 ft
United States

gerutzen@yahoo. Posted at 2015-8-27 09:37
Well, I certainly hope it is genuine.   I paid enough for it.   How can I determine if it is genui ...

My iPad Air 2 shut down due to heat on me last weekend (I was briefly flying in 99 degree weather).  Apple products has always been extremely sensitive to heat; combination of weather elements and heavy processing loads  -- such as the Go App.  Apple will briefly shut down to protect it.   Just make sure you are staying out of direct sunlight when it's hot outside.  Living in the desert of West Texas, I'm used to my Apple products shutting down after direct heat exposure.
2015-8-26
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-8-27 05:15
My IPad Air 2 ...

it is suggested to enable hardware decode on for the A8 processors and off for A7. the air 2 uses A8 as does the iphone6+ , which is what im using mostly, and i have decode enabled and its inside a lifeproof case and does not get overly hot even after 6 x 18 mins flights consecutively.
side note: i had placed my phione on the deck table outside in the sun, not connected to rc (wasnt flying at that time), within less than 5 minutes the temp gaugae warning had popped up and would not work til the temp had dropped!
2015-8-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yup that is correct,
So hopefully Yes, his is turned Off, then We suggest turning in to On...

This might help. Hope so.

ReHotPoker
2015-8-26
Use props
terrylewis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

PhantomHelp (http://www.phantomhelp.com/) has numerous recommendations, links, and assistance:
See this excellent post enumerating iPad Tweaks and Settings: PhantomHelp Post on PhantomPilots
Also, this video may show additional performance clues:
There are others experiencing the overheating in the hot summer sun, search for iPad Overheat and you'll find threads like this:  Overheat

2015-8-27
Use props
gerutzen
lvl.1
United States

terrylewis Posted at 2015-8-27 22:42
PhantomHelp (http://www.phantomhelp.com/) has numerous recommendations, links, and assistance:
See t ...

Very helpful information!  Thanks.
2015-8-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Did you solve the heat issue?
& What was your Hardware Decode set to, On or Off?

RedHotPoker

2015-8-28
Use props
gerutzen
lvl.1
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-8-28 21:13
Did you solve the heat issue?
& What was your Hardware Decode set to, On or Off?

Hardware decode is ON.   The iPad is merely warm and no longer hot.  Thanks for the help.
2015-9-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Hey bud, that's great news. You're very welcome.
And Thanks for the awesome update. Glad it worked out well, for your setup.

Get out there, Enjoy your Phantom, & time well spent on the forum.
While batteries are charging. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules