A2 certification to fly in Europe
2130 19 2023-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
inAgitation
lvl.1

United States

Hi
So I am USA based and just bought the Mavic 3 pro.
I plan to travel in Europe soon and wanted to run through the certification process for the A2 category (because the 3 Pro is a C2 class drone unlike the original and classic versions which are C1).

I already received my basic A1/A3 certification from the Luxembourg LZ portal. This was the only portal I found which was FREE of cost. I can in theory complete my A2 training here as well BUT.... the final examination has to be done locally in Luxembourg which I cannot do.

I am looking at some other options like droneclass.eu (which is Dutch) but this charges 99 Euro - and this is ONLY for the training - the final exam is still 20 Euro.

However, I cannot find a link for the official A2 exam anywhere - I am wodnering if I can complete the A2 course on the Luxembourg site but then find an online exam only version to get my A2 certification.

Anyone from the US (or outside EU) done this? And obviosuly any input from EU residents as well. Thanks in advance!
2023-6-3
Use props
ArcticPhoto
lvl.4
Norway

You can fly a C2 drone in most of Europe with A1/A3 certification, you just have to keep a longer distance from buildings and people than with A2 certificate.
This is the regulations from CAA Norway, they are the same in all EASA countries.
https://luftfartstilsynet.no/glo ... 021_engelsk_v05.pdf
2023-6-3
Use props
inAgitation
lvl.1

United States

ArcticPhoto Posted at 6-3 13:20
You can fly a C2 drone in most of Europe with A1/A3 certification, you just have to keep a longer distance from buildings and people than with A2 certificate.
This is the regulations from CAA Norway, they are the same in all EASA countries.
https://luftfartstilsynet.no/globalassets/dokumenter/dronedokumenter/nytt-eu-regelverk/drone-_-easa-tabell-2021_engelsk_v05.pdf

Thanks!
I guess you have a lot more open (and absolutely gorgeous) space in Norway - been to Lofoten a few times and I guess that 30m radius is easier to maintain.

I am planning to go to Greece and hoping to fly the drone in the meteora monastery region. Never having been there, I can't be sure if I'll be able to maintain a 30m radius any or most of the time from parking lots. That's why I'd like to play it safe and get the A2 if need be- saves me any kind of hassle in the future.

Have you done this?
2023-6-3
Use props
ArcticPhoto
lvl.4
Norway

No, I have only A1/A3. A2 can not be done online, and it costs approx. 100 Euros I think. I mostly fly far away from people and buildings/residential areas, so for the moment I don't need A2. But I am thinking about getting it.
Lofoten is fantastic for drone photography, I flew there a lot with my first drone, a Phantom 2 with a Sony RX 100 camera mounted on it. With 90 degrees tilting camera, video downlink and radio controlled shutter release . No other consumer drones had such good cameras  
Here is a photo from Henningsvær, I guess you have been there. This is from 2014.

2023-6-3
Use props
inAgitation
lvl.1

United States

ArcticPhoto Posted at 6-3 14:21
No, I have only A1/A3. A2 can not be done online, and it costs approx. 100 Euros I think. I mostly fly far away from people and buildings/residential areas, so for the moment I don't need A2. But I am thinking about getting it.
Lofoten is fantastic for drone photography, I flew there a lot with my first drone, a Phantom 2 with a Sony RX 100 camera mounted on it. With 90 degrees tilting camera, video downlink and radio controlled shutter release . No other consumer drones had such good cameras  
Here is a photo from Henningsvær, I guess you have been there. This is from 2014.

Amazing photo! yeah - Henningsvaer is famous for the football stadium, isn't it?
Yeah some of the most amazing places for drone photography are probably the Norwegian fjords, Iceland and probably Scotland!
I traveled there previously but just normal photography - need to get out there with the drone!
2023-6-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The implementation time will be different in different countries. So if you have plans to use the drone in the EEA area, please check the regulatory information of the country you actually fly in advance before flying.

After 01/01/2024, you can only fly in the Open A2 category and you will have to have an A2 “Remote Piloting License”(for the license you can check with your local Civil Aviation Authority which will have a list of certified examiners in your country).

For more details on the regulation during the transition period, please refer to the following website:

https://www.bazl.admin.ch/bazl/e ... dnishilfe/news.html
https://www.bazl.admin.ch/bazl/e ... e_limited-open.html
2023-6-3
Use props
ArcticPhoto
lvl.4
Norway

DJI Paladin Posted at 6-3 20:56
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The implementation time will be different in different countries. So if you have plans to use the drone in the EEA area, please check the regulatory information of the country you actually fly in advance before flying.

After 01/01/2024, you can only fly in the Open A2 category and you will have to have an A2 “Remote Piloting License”(for the license you can check with your local Civil Aviation Authority which will have a list of certified examiners in your country).

"After 01/01/2024, you can only fly in the Open A2 category and you will have to have an A2 “Remote Piloting License”

I do not think that is correct.

With an A3 certificate you can fly a drone up to 25 kg, as long as you are 150 meters away from people and  buildings, and follow the 1:1 rule. The drone does not need a C-label, and this regulation does not have a time limit. It is valid in all EASA member countries. That is how I read this document:
https://luftfartstilsynet.no/glo ... 021_engelsk_v05.pdf

https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/do ... ion/easa-by-country
2023-6-4
Use props
ArcticPhoto
lvl.4
Norway

inAgitation Posted at 6-3 14:40
Amazing photo! yeah - Henningsvaer is famous for the football stadium, isn't it?
Yeah some of the most amazing places for drone photography are probably the Norwegian fjords, Iceland and probably Scotland!
I traveled there previously but just normal photography - need to get out there with the drone!

"Amazing photo! yeah - Henningsvaer is famous for the football stadium, isn't it?"

Yeah, you probably think of this one. The wooden structures beside the football field are fish racks, here they hang fresh cod to dry in the winter months, to become stockfish.

2023-6-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

ArcticPhoto Posted at 6-4 00:38
"After 01/01/2024, you can only fly in the Open A2 category and you will have to have an A2 “Remote Piloting License”

I do not think that is correct.

Thank you for your feedback. We will coordinate this with our relevant team for attention. Have a nice day ahead.
2023-6-5
Use props
volaredrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3564685 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am planning on flying my Mavic 3 Pro drone in France in September of this year.

I registered it with the French system and placed the French registration # on the drone.

Do I need to take the online test as well to be legal?
Any other preliminary things I need to do or be aware of?
2023-6-5
Use props
inAgitation
lvl.1

United States

volaredrone Posted at 6-5 12:11
I am planning on flying my Mavic 3 Pro drone in France in September of this year.

I registered it with the French system and placed the French registration # on the drone.

The main thing to understand is that with a basic A1/A3 certification for a C2 class drone, you will only be legally allowed to fly in A3 zones (no one in a 150m radius around you).
THAT is in my opinion very difficult unless you are somewhere remote like areas of Iceland etc. Basically it heavily limits where you can fly LEGALLY from what I understand.

I am now looking into an A2 certification via dronelicense.eu - Dutch based - so I will probably register there. So far, it's the cheapest option I have found that is remote and seems to be legit (the NAA website for Netherlands links to this).  It says you can do the test remotely ...
I may have to bite the bullet and pay the 99 euro to find out soon.
2023-6-5
Use props
oberschneider.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4730358 ft
  • >>>
Austria

inAgitation Posted at 6-5 12:39
The main thing to understand is that with a basic A1/A3 certification for a C2 class drone, you will only be legally allowed to fly in A3 zones (no one in a 150m radius around you).
THAT is in my opinion very difficult unless you are somewhere remote like areas of Iceland etc. Basically it heavily limits where you can fly LEGALLY from what I understand.

I did that test and it's legit.
2023-6-5
Use props
ArcticPhoto
lvl.4
Norway

inAgitation Posted at 6-5 12:39
The main thing to understand is that with a basic A1/A3 certification for a C2 class drone, you will only be legally allowed to fly in A3 zones (no one in a 150m radius around you).

"I am now looking into an A2 certification via dronelicense.eu - Dutch based - so I will probably register there. So far, it's the cheapest option I have found that is remote and seems to be legit (the NAA website for Netherlands links to this).  It says you can do the test remotely ...
I may have to bite the bullet and pay the 99 euro to find out soon."

Interesting, I did not think it was possible to take the A2 exam online. Just remember that it will cost you 20 euros to get the certifiacte itself when you passed the exam, in addition to the 99 for the course and training.
2023-6-6
Use props
ArcticPhoto
lvl.4
Norway

oberschneider.com Posted at 6-5 20:20
I did that test and it's legit.

Did you take the A2 exam?
Was the training easy to follow and well laid out?
And the exam itself, was it a number of  questions with multiple choices? Any time limit on the exam?
2023-6-6
Use props
inAgitation
lvl.1

United States

ArcticPhoto Posted at 6-6 00:45
And the exam itself, was it a number of  questions with multiple choices? Any time limit on the exam?

I haven't taken the final A2 exam just yet - in terms of the training material, I'd say it's not bad but it's a bit on the amateurish side - the Luxembourgian LZ portal has a much more professionally laid out course.

I was about to take the final exam last night but the online version is proctored or monitored via webcam. So I may take a beat to refresh my theory before I take it today.

Once done, I may make a new thread in this forum recapping my experience - I am sure there are a million M3Pro fliers (and others) who will probably be asking the same questions.
2023-6-6
Use props
oberschneider.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4730358 ft
  • >>>
Austria

ArcticPhoto Posted at 6-6 00:45
And the exam itself, was it a number of  questions with multiple choices? Any time limit on the exam?

Yes, I took the A2 exam (and passed it at first attempt). It took me approximately 4 hrs to go through the whole procedure with (quickly) studying the topics and completing the training questions. I'd say that the learning resources are well laid out, though a bit minimalistic at times.
The exam consists of multiple choice questions, has a time limit (can't remember exactly how much time) and is monitored so you can't cheat.
Hope this helps!
2023-6-6
Use props
inAgitation
lvl.1

United States

inAgitation Posted at 6-6 03:58
I haven't taken the final A2 exam just yet - in terms of the training material, I'd say it's not bad but it's a bit on the amateurish side - the Luxembourgian LZ portal has a much more professionally laid out course.

I was about to take the final exam last night but the online version is proctored or monitored via webcam. So I may take a beat to refresh my theory before I take it today.

Hey - I did take the exam .. and I just passed. Finished it in less than 10 minutes. It was quite simple and TBH - very closely aligns to the questions u get asked in Drone Class' training -  which I read thru last night.
There are some trick questions and I messed up the terminology in a few weather questions.

But... done now. I officially have A2 certification now.

I think I will post a new thread with my experiences - should help a lot of M3Pro users.

PS: posted an in-depth thread here:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=292140
2023-6-6
Use props
ArcticPhoto
lvl.4
Norway

oberschneider.com Posted at 6-6 10:35
Yes, I took the A2 exam (and passed it at first attempt). It took me approximately 4 hrs to go through the whole procedure with (quickly) studying the topics and completing the training questions. I'd say that the learning resources are well laid out, though a bit minimalistic at times.
The exam consists of multiple choice questions, has a time limit (can't remember exactly how much time) and is monitored so you can't cheat.
Hope this helps!

Thank you for your answer. So I need a computer with a webcam to take the exam.
2023-6-7
Use props
ArcticPhoto
lvl.4
Norway

inAgitation Posted at 6-6 13:31
Hey - I did take the exam .. and I just passed. Finished it in less than 10 minutes. It was quite simple and TBH - very closely aligns to the questions u get asked in Drone Class' training -  which I read thru last night.
There are some trick questions and I messed up the terminology in a few weather questions.

Congratulations, and thank you for the information.
2023-6-7
Use props
Geo_Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

In CiTY here you need A2 for Mav3Pro.
Period.
2023-6-9
Use props
Advanced