4k video flickering lines issue
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
storm1000
lvl.2

United States

So I'm 17 flights in with my P3P.  I've filmed in bright sunlight situations with zero issues.  My video setting is 4k auto... basically out of the box default and I left it as is.  The last few videos I've noticed when the P3P is facing into the sun, and the sun is at a particular angle in the sky, I get these flickering lines.  As soon as the P3P turns slighty away from the sun the flickering lines disappear.  All my videos are at about 60000 kbps ... I'm not sure if its a framerate issue or what.  Here's the thing... in my ealrier videos I've aimed directly at the sun and had zero issues, zero flickering, and have since not changed any settings, so if its a sunlight / framerate issue, then why did I not see flickering in earlier video aimed directly at the sun?  I'm stumped on what to do to correct the issue.

I've included a youtube video with a clip aiming directly into the sun with zero flickering, then it goes to a clip turning towards the sun where the flickering starts up hardcore. Again, no change in camera settings at all, same across the board.

2015-8-26
Use props
axidify
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2867146 ft
Malaysia

i got that too. i had my camera on auto so im not sure if its a shutter speed issue
2015-8-26
Use props
storm1000
lvl.2

United States

axidify Posted at 2015-8-27 10:08
i got that too. i had my camera on auto so im not sure if its a shutter speed issue

glad I'm not alone on this lol.  Yea I'm guessing its a shutter speed / ISO etc type of issue.  I have limited knowledge about shutter speed etc so hoping those with more expertise can chime in and give a hint or two.
2015-8-26
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's the sun casting the shadow of the spinning props onto the lens ( at 25 seconds ). Surprised you haven't had it before flying in the sun. Although I only get it sometimes ( must need the P3 and sun to align up a particular way for it to happen ). Tilting the P3's camera slightly down works well to reduce the chances of it happening.
2015-8-26
Use props
storm1000
lvl.2

United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-8-27 15:04
That's the sun casting the shadow of the spinning props onto the lens ( at 25 seconds ). Surprised y ...

Thanks for the input.  That makes sense and I saw that on another thread but thought the lines looked too uniform to be the props... but then I thought, wait, they SHOULD be uniform if they're the props lol... what do I know lol... still getting used to these little issues.  I'll take ur advice and fiddle with angles.  If I get the same issue when the sun is directly in front then I'll know its something else.
2015-8-27
Use props
Spare Wheel
lvl.2

United Kingdom

storm1000 Posted at 2015-8-27 18:32
Thanks for the input.  That makes sense and I saw that on another thread but thought the lines loo ...

This does not look like a props in sunlight issue - the lines start as synchronous and end assynchronous. I am not aware the rotors are sync'd to frame rate or are functions of a selected frame rate. Perhaps they are... NTSC AND PAL formats... unlikely. Who knows as the to the mysteries of DJI software...

Could you post your video codec settings and exposure settings please.

Claire
2015-8-27
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I agree with the others...  It is the props producing a flickering shadow that is affecting the image.  You can tilt the camera down or perhaps add a small paper lens hood over the lens as some people have tried.
2015-8-27
Use props
jlarcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6827749 ft
  • >>>
United States

A polarizer or ND filter will correct the issue.   http://polarprofilters.com/shop/DJI-Phantom-3-Filter   I had the same exact problem and finally fixed it with ND filters.  
2015-8-27
Use props
storm1000
lvl.2

United States

jlarcher@me.com Posted at 2015-8-28 10:07
A polarizer or ND filter will correct the issue.   http://polarprofilters.com/shop/DJI-Phantom-3-Fil ...

Thanks for the tip and link jlarcher ... I had planned to get ND filters already, so just even more reason now lol   I did a flight today with bright sun and had no flickering because I kept the angle tipped down just enough when going into the sun.  Overall not as big of an issue as I thought.  Easily correctable and not too big of a deal
2015-8-27
Use props
alextsampas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 774603 ft
Greece

Any idea guys for that issue after editing ?

Thank you
2015-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules