The 180 degree rule at Motovlog and my opinion on it.
1946 30 2023-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andreas Duumlck
Second Officer
Switzerland

I tested the 180 degree rule in conjunction with MotoVlog because there are always videos where it is suggested. The problem with this is that the image stabilization needs a higher shutter speed than the 180 degree rule at e.g. 60FPS allows. To be honest, I can't quite understand how anyone could be willing to make such big compromises when it comes to image stabilization, especially since most videos today are only watched on smartphones.

But see for yourself...

2023-6-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Excellent attempt at the 180 degree rule but I think the 180 degree rule makes no real sense for MotoVlogging.  
2023-6-4
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

I want to give some feedback about this video (...not that anyone asked for it)

1. I don't understand a word you are saying so the only thing I gathered is that it is about the 180 degree shutter not being suitable for motovlogging.
2. As someone who never been to Switzerland, when I watch someone's video I am interested in seeing the scenery. You have some really nice views in the video, mountains, villages, etc, yet most of the time I only see your chest and arms. No good. Please show the scenery! You can totally get rid of the camera that is pointing at you and maybe attach it to the back of the bike instead. Now you have front AND back views! Would be more interesting.
3. The above goes for the instrumentation panel as well. Please set your camera to point a little higher so the scenery is more visible.

Ok, so now onto the 180 thing and EIS. Have you seen this video?
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=291852

They illustrate things with the GoPro of course, but I think the OA3 has a similar feature. If you go into PRO mode, and select AUTO (in Video recording), when you tap on the Shutter value, you can select a min/max value for the shutter. Coupled with the ISO range setting, you can set the minimum shutter speed to be, eg 1/400 and the camera will select the appropriate ISO for it. This way you should have adequate shutter speed for EIS.

2023-6-4
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

osmonauta Posted at 6-4 09:33

1. I don't understand a word you are saying so the only thing I gathered is that it is about the 180 degree shutter not being suitable for motovlogging.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to comment. All my videos have subtitles and can also be automatically translated into many languages by Youtube. I can only partially implement your tips for aligning the cameras. The somewhat low alignment of both cameras is a result of DJI's decision to no longer use spot metering with the Osmo Action 3. I could possibly get a better view of the landscape if I move the "facecam" a little to the left, but the cuts then become harder and the effort increases. I think if you understood what I'm saying in the video, you would probably perceive the whole video differently. And probably pay attention to other details as well. It would be nice if someone who speaks German could give me feedback.
2023-6-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

osmonauta Posted at 6-4 09:33

1. I don't understand a word you are saying so the only thing I gathered is that it is about the 180 degree shutter not being suitable for motovlogging.

You can't set min-max for shutter, only for ISO
2023-6-4
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

This one is for you osmonauta. You see a bit more of the Swiss countryside and my body isn't in the way.

2023-6-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Not hard to understand what he said in the video, just put on translate like I always do

I can repeat what I wrote as comment; 1/200s do work good, but for action with an action camera there is no need for 180 shutterrule since this is an action camera shooting action and doesn't need blur.

When I watch any videos with fast paste action, watching any video with motion blur is like watching a laggy video, where shooting in 60 fps is more realistic.

This is an answer to all, not especially to Andreas or any, and just my 1 euro
2023-6-4
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

johansenfoto Posted at 6-4 10:45
Not hard to understand what he said in the video, just put on translate like I always do

I can repeat what I wrote as comment; 1/200s do work good, but for action with an action camera there is no need for 180 shutterrule since this is an action camera shooting action and doesn't need blur.

You're right, the biggest difference is when you record and post at 60FPS. The NTSC standard has meanwhile prevailed on almost all devices...
2023-6-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Andreas Dueck Posted at 6-4 11:04
You're right, the biggest difference is when you record and post at 60FPS. The NTSC standard has meanwhile prevailed on almost all devices...

Just watched your train video, very pleasent to watch with natural motion blur.
2023-6-4
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

johansenfoto Posted at 6-4 11:41
Just watched your train video, very pleasent to watch with natural motion blur.

Thanks, too bad it doesn't work when you need image stabilization...
2023-6-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Andreas Dueck Posted at 6-4 11:43

I totally agree.
But different tools for different tasks.
2023-6-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

But I have to say thank you for doing theese kind of tests for us all, it makes it easier for rest of us to see what will work or not.
2023-6-4
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

Hopefully we can use the gyro data for that soon...
Is there any camera that can do that? So without a gimbal.
2023-6-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Andreas Dueck Posted at 6-4 11:57
Hopefully we can use the gyro data for that soon...
Is there any camera that can do that? So without a gimbal.

DJI Action 2,
One RS
Gopro 10/11

Theese 3 support gyro data for now, and of theese 3 One RS is the one that will be fastest to use since it have its own gyro software that is super fast for stabilization.
But I still haven't tested it in the dark with gyro stabilizaton.
2023-6-4
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

I think I'll wait until DJI retrofits the Osmo Action 3 with gyro data too..
2023-6-4
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

johansenfoto Posted at 6-4 10:36
You can't set min-max for shutter, only for ISO

On mine you can. That's why I provided the screenshot.
2023-6-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

osmonauta Posted at 6-4 13:02
On mine you can. That's why I provided the screenshot.

I found it now, was like a hidden menu on top left
2023-6-4
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Andreas Dueck Posted at 6-4 11:43

But what about ND filters? You can surely get some nice motion blur if you use the right filter/shutter combo based on the lighting.

I used ND64 on both of these videos. A little strong, but just for fun. A 32 or 16 would've been better. Both are 1080p.

The effect is very strong here but towards the end when I come out of the foresty area, it gets lighter.

Here is also ND64 on a sunny day.

2023-6-4
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

johansenfoto Posted at 6-4 13:19
I found it now, was like a hidden menu on top left

See, that's why you need to get to know your camera :-)

Now you can set the shutter to 1/400 - 1/8000 (or maybe 1/200 - 1/8000) and the EIS will work fine even in low light. Of course the footage will be grainy as hell (depending on lighting) cuz the ISO will be the highest, but you can balance it with the combination of these settings.
2023-6-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

osmonauta Posted at 6-4 13:34
See, that's why you need to get to know your camera :-)

Now you can set the shutter to 1/400 - 1/8000 (or maybe 1/200 - 1/8000) and the EIS will work fine even in low light. Of course the footage will be grainy as hell (depending on lighting) cuz the ISO will be the highest, but you can balance it with the combination of these settings.

I guess it will use really high ISO making the footage looks bad after all. Maybe Andreas or something have done some testing of it with theese settings?
2023-6-4
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Yes, a tested it a while back in the bathroom with a 60W bulb. Well, the footage wasn't pretty, LOL, I called it "Noise From Hell v2.0" :-) but the EIS was pretty good. Not a single jitter. I think it's useful on cloudy days or at least some sun. After all, the camera wasn't designed to use it in bathrooms :-)
2023-6-4
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The 180 rule imo isn’t a great idea for fast action sections where you, yourself are moving. Most cameras can’t sort out blur/stabilisation because of the way that it works. Gyro data will also leave blips. The only real way is to use a gimbal and turn stabilisation off. (As they do in movies)

Basically, it’s just a compromise that allows people to put the camera in places where a ‘more normal’ camera would be impractical. The visuals though can be quite different from more 'normal' type cameras (too sharp with no blur)  unless you hold the action cam still while the subject moves and slow the shutter down. Then you don't get the odd effects and get more ‘normal’ looking pictures. Basically using stabilisation to help eliminate camera shake from your hands while holding the camera still. Not throwing the camera around on a bike, but taking the bike from a static position as it goes by. So on the bike .. fast shutter. Off the bike .. slow.

On a bike/motor bike, vibrations are pretty extreme so really, high frame rate and fast shutter speed is the way to go. Then the stabilisation can sort it out easier and smoothness becomes the priority rather than motion blur.

So for me, running around with a camera = high frame rate/shutter, which is a compromise really.
More still type stuff with movement in front of you = slow shutter speeds, lower frame rate and it’s more ‘film like’ with motion blur on subjects.

2023-6-4
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

johansenfoto Posted at 6-4 13:47
I guess it will use really high ISO making the footage looks bad after all. Maybe Andreas or something have done some testing of it with theese settings?

From my point of view, the image is already too noisy from an ISO of over 6400...
2023-6-5
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

Iancraig10 Posted at 6-4 23:47
The 180 rule imo isn’t a great idea for fast action sections where you, yourself are moving. Most cameras can’t sort out blur/stabilisation because of the way that it works. Gyro data will also leave blips. The only real way is to use a gimbal and turn stabilisation off. (As they do in movies)

Basically, it’s just a compromise that allows people to put the camera in places where a ‘more normal’ camera would be impractical. The visuals though can be quite different from more 'normal' type cameras (too sharp with no blur)  unless you hold the action cam still while the subject moves and slow the shutter down. Then you don't get the odd effects and get more ‘normal’ looking pictures. Basically using stabilisation to help eliminate camera shake from your hands while holding the camera still. Not throwing the camera around on a bike, but taking the bike from a static position as it goes by. So on the bike .. fast shutter. Off the bike .. slow.

I've tried to find a compromise between the two. Some motion blur and still a usable image stabilization.

That's why I set the shutter speed to 1/200 and only used the automatic for the ISO. I've set it to 100-3200 here. For these settings you need an ND filter in the sun. I chose the filter so that the ISO value with the sun in the back is around 300, so that I still have leeway when I drive against the sun but the ISO value is as low as possible. Since the ISO value cannot go below 100, I have automatically made sure that the landscape or I are not underexposed when I drive against the sun. But the sky could be overexposed (which I didn't care). Without spot metering, you have to align the cameras a little lower here...

If you set the shutter speed to 1/240, the image stabilization is a bit better, but you get a slightly choppy picture and a slightly higher ISO value, which can be useful.
2023-6-5
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Andreas Dueck Posted at 6-5 00:57
From my point of view, the image is already too noisy from an ISO of over 6400...

I almost never goes above ISO 800 on normal video with any action camera, and ISO 6400 is a bit too high indeed.
2023-6-5
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

johansenfoto Posted at 6-5 05:37
I almost never goes above ISO 800 on normal video with any action camera, and ISO 6400 is a bit too high indeed.

You can go much higher with the Osmo Action 3 than with my Osmo Action 1. I set 3200 because we have a lot of tunnels here. The picture is too dark when the tunnel is not lit, but the transition is a bit softer and I can use the entrance into the tunnel and driving out for a nice transition.
2023-6-5
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

johansenfoto Posted at 6-4 12:01
DJI Action 2,
One RS
Gopro 10/11

Waiting for your test....
2023-6-5
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Andreas Dueck Posted at 6-5 14:31
Waiting for your test....

I need to find someplace where it is dark
2023-6-6
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 6-4 12:01
DJI Action 2,
One RS
Gopro 10/11

huh, even GoPros as low as 5 support gyro data.
2023-6-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I think your footage looks good!
2023-6-12
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

I hope so too, I'm filming my trip to Corsica like this now...
2023-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules