Phantom 1 - STILL a blast to fly
2729 20 2015-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Lonliest forum ....but not sure why.

I still find my 1.1.1 a total blast to fly.
Sure, it lacks FPV and all the bells and whistles, but does being old tech make a 69 Camaro any less fun to drive?

What it also lacks is the restrictions of the latest offerings.   No "no fly" zones.

Call me old school....but I still love my P1 with it's updated SJ4000 1080P 12MP camera.

Unless it's windy, I get video that approaches gimbal smooth video anyway...without the $1300 risks.

Long distance flights (made possible by FPV) are going to become a no-no anyway as the FAA clamps down
on rogue drone operators and enforces Line of Sight operations.

Sure, I bought into the tech and bought one of the latest fancy drone offerings....but I find the P1 gets more flight time anyway :-)

Guess I'm just behind the times......but having a blast.   

2015-8-26
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

I still enjoy flying my Phantom FC40, basically a P1 with a wifi camera even though I have12 DJI Multirotors. My Inspire1 is my favorite.  This is one of the loneliest forms though. But I still like coming in here to check on things.
2015-8-28
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

I am having a blast right along with you Cessna 172!
2015-8-28
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Yes Sir !

There was a time when a horse drawn buggy was "State of The Art" transportation and simply because we now have luxury cars does not by any means make riding in a horse drawn buggy today any less fun.   Extreme scenario but maybe I made the point?

You sure have a LOT of Phantoms  :-)

I really love the simplicity of the P1.   I have a 12MP camera on it and it takes all the hi res video and photos I want.    The P3P is a technological wonder and FPV is awesome....but without all the distractions I just plain enjoy taking the P1 up for a flight.   No worries about the video dropping etc.  Just aways keep her line-of-sight.

I'm so much more relaxed flying the P1 (1.1.1) also because if the bird did flyaway, I'm only out about $300 vs $1300.

It flies so good.   I have a GPS locator on mine and I'm very interested in a parachute system once they mature and come down in price.

The P1 also doesn't have the flight restrictions like the P3 so that's a bonus for those of us who respect the National Airspace anyway.

Not sure why this forum is so quiet.

Remember when the P1 was revered almost with as much awe as the P3 is today?
2015-8-30
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

Yes I very much so remember that. I remember being on some P1 threads that were huge it was hard even keep up.
2015-8-30
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I also still enjoy my Phantom V1 and as yet the later revisions have not had any additional features that would convince me to trade up.
I've installed a lightweight gimbal with Gopro type camera with 5.8GHz FPV which provides more than enough range. Flight times have been exponentially increased (average 18minutes) by enlarging the battery bay entrance by a few millimetres so as to accommodate a 4000mAh battery.

The only other change I've made is to use the newer 9inch self tightening props in place of the original 8inch that were supplied with the quad.

Regards

Nidge
2015-8-31
Use props
chudu
New

Vietnam

be carefull when use phantom 1. this video is Lessons for us

https://youtu.be/MM3Ede2hgaw

source: Cho thue nha Da Nang | Nhà đất đà nẵng
2015-10-8
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

yeah, but don't be too scared

nice video but a lot is user error.
2015-10-14
Use props
RATTYDUDE77
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

don't we all remember our first crash
2016-4-10
Use props
philip.passey25
lvl.1
Flight distance : 178780 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Brought aP1 off eBay for £130 had never been flown as the person thought you got it out of the box and it flew. Had tipped over 3 time and damaged the props. They ordered new props but never tried again, sat in its box in a cupboard for 3 years. I got it up dated the firware and re- calibrated  the IMU, and it flew great. Apart from one day when I was in a rush to fly in between showers and forgot to tighten the props. Lucky it was not very high and the ground was soft. One prop plus nut flew off and it tumbled to the ground landing prop first and bounced. Bent the prop lost the nut but quad ok.
    So now I have a check list and a sticker on the transmitter that says " are props nuts tight" lol. Great quad to fly my son has a P3 standard and flys very carefully due to the cost. E I rag mine about and do low passes with my j4000 on board. Will I upgrade maybe if I find one at the right price.
2016-4-11
Use props
New

United States

I have one for sale.. Anyone interested
2016-4-12
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Cool.  My P1 is still going strong.    It has FPV now (and a whole lot more :-)
2016-4-15
Use props
RATTYDUDE77
lvl.4
United States

I made mine into the 1.5 with extras
2016-4-15
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

RATTYDUDE77 Posted at 2016-4-16 10:31
I made mine into the 1.5 with extras

Cool

http://www.instructables.com/id/Phantom-15-Conversion-Overview/

2016-4-20
Use props
RATTYDUDE77
lvl.4
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-4-20 07:59
Cool

http://www.instructables.com/id/Phantom-15-Conversion-Overview/

Thank you for the info just got my multi star 5.2 5500mah in today waiting on my battery door took it  out in the back yard for a hover test perfect lol
2016-4-20
Use props
185EZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 396470 ft
United States

I wish I didn't sell my fc40 for all the reasons you pointed out.
I could be up and flying quicker than my P3A to get that sunset or special vid
I didn't have things telling me to do updates or I'm in a NFZ.
Batteries were cheaper to buy and they didn't have that stupid smart feature.
2016-4-20
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

RATTYDUDE77 Posted at 2016-4-21 05:46
Thank you for the info just got my multi star 5.2 5500mah in today waiting on my battery door took ...

Cool.   That's a lotta battery!   ;-)
2016-4-22
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

185EZ Posted at 2016-4-21 06:01
I wish I didn't sell my fc40 for all the reasons you pointed out.
I could be up and flying quicker t ...

I know.
I really like my P3.   It's awesome with all the stuff it does.
But there's something about the simplicity of the P1 that keeps me hooked.

I only paid $240 for my P1 brand new in the OEM box.
I'm keeping it even IF I eventually get the latest and greatest.
2016-4-22
Use props
RATTYDUDE77
lvl.4
United States

My self I like to FPV with fat shark on board just ordered the N1 Naza osd for it. I bought my 1.1.1 when it came out from a private dealer gave me a real good deal.  With the new body its like a hole new phantom custom paint il post when done.....                                                                                                            
2016-4-23
Use props
Alan Guan
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-29
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Alan Guan Posted at 2016-4-29 20:57
phantom1's are awesome! but do they still sell them online?

Occasionally you can find one.
I think I get mine from Overstock.com brand new in the box for $249 delivered
2016-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules