Is the Avata Fixed? Buy? Wait?
1157 19 2023-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
f1xj4ws
lvl.1
Flight distance : 138136 ft

Pakistan

Hello everyone. This is my first post in this forum.I fly drones generally just for hobby photography, I am not a film-maker or anyhting. I have been flying the DJI Mavic Air 2 for two years now I think and I love everything about it.
I want to buy an FPV Drone this time, as a sightseeing drone if that makes any sense. I am fascinated by the head tracking feature on the Goggles 2 and want to try them out. This is the reason I don't want to go for the DJI FPV.
I want to fly the drone with the motion controller and not really with the FPV controller. So for me, The Avata seemed to be a no-brainer choice and I placed an order for one from a local reseller. However, soon after that, I canceled my order because I found out about the yaw tumble problem. It has had me set back and the more I try to lurk on the internet to look for how serious it is or if it has been fixed, the more confusion follows everytime. I have seen people blaming everything from bad pilots to faulty gyros being shipped to DJI, vortex? cine-whoop logic etc.
I understand the following:

The problem can be reproduced almost every time by a skilled pilot who has tried to induce it over youtube
A firmware update by DJI helped reduce the problem, but at the same time DJI says to expect the problem as it has guards
The problem is well documented in M mode, but occurs lesser in N and S
The problem is usually produced when using FPV controller and not the Motion RC2 controller (because motion one doesn't allow M mode anyway?)

Apart from this, I have repeatedly seen the following being mentioned too:
Battery being kicked out on impact or impacts after the first nose dive initial impact (can be fixed with strap)
Drone updating home point randomly (don't know if it has been taken care of or not)
Some sudden signal drops
Unprovoked prop failures
Drone has erratic behavior after crash

With all of this in view, Avata seems to be an extreme... gamble? DJI being silent on the issue also raises concern about this being a general design failure that cannot be fixed? But they can bog the aircraft down via software atleast, right? wrong?

Do I buy the Avata because the motion controller doesn't cause problems anyway?
Do I wait and see if DJI fixes it or releases an FPV 2 or something with head tracking support?
Will the FPV get head tracking support? Doesn't seem likely?

Where I am based, I will be paying a lot higher than the actual costs for all of these items. Also, DJI Refresh will be a pain to ship across every time.

Any input appreciated

2023-6-4
Use props
Koolada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 877999 ft
Germany

Short answer there are all the errors plus a big Problem where it speeds Up after a Crash 100m in a random direction hitting everything in its way getting uncontrollable.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-286221-1-1.html

There are also people having yaw error on the motion controller. Its No gamble the Units cant do Yaw movements there are Just different people. Think many Just use it to explore Not flying fast.

I buyed a cinelog 35 and have to say I got zero yaw problems with it its 100% no General cinewhoop problem. If I could start again I would buy me a DYI whoop for the start its harder to learn but If your getting good its more rewarding and you get even more possibilitys you Just need to practice.

Wouldn't recommend the avata to anyone, I selled mine and im verry happy this Dangerous Drone is gone and I buyed a Drone that is save to use. Another plus is I can repair in Like 1 hour for a few € Not needing to mess with the DJI Support sending my Drone trough europe getting blamed
2023-6-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

if you are new to fpv drones, you're not going to be bothered by these "issues."  i've never seen a newbie complain of a yaw tumble.  ive been flying the avata for 4 months and i don't have any of these issues.  but again, i havent crashed either so i would say if you plan to go wild, maybe the avata is not for you.  i save "wild" for my dji fpv and if you can get one of these, i think you would have more fun and most likely, they are much cheaper.  but you gotta pull the trigger one day because i honestly believe nothing is going to get that much better anytime soon.  in fact, the dji fpv2 is probably coming soon and the cycle repeats and you never get in.  i'm not an fpv guy so i don't have a lot of fpv choices (only dji) but if you can build your own and pull together you own drone the way you want it, obviously that's the best choice.
2023-6-4
Use props
djiuser_p1ZzQHJNWzQ8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1093671 ft
Canada

Koolada Posted at 6-4 12:39
Short answer there are all the errors plus a big Problem where it speeds Up after a Crash 100m in a random direction hitting everything in its way getting uncontrollable.

You don't own it anymore but still complain all day about issues that most newbies don't care about!
2023-6-4
Use props
Koolada
lvl.4
Germany

djiuser_p1ZzQHJNWzQ8 Posted at 6-4 13:15
You don't own it anymore but still complain all day about issues that most newbies don't care about!
Yeah I warn people because I wish noone need to make the Same experience I lost alot of Money because of DJI, by the way I did own it Just a few months still would consider myself a newbie and got all the Problems.

It really depends on how you fly it. If you wanna do fast cinematic stuff you will for Sure have this Problems and If you think you can so some mild freestyle you will 100% will have all the errors too.

Compared to other drones its Just unsafe little toy plane. You cant grow with it if you want more its simply Garbage and a big fail Investment after a few months. If you want a Drone to have fun for flying with the sausage for a few weeks go for it and Invest 1500€+.
2023-6-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Koolada Posted at 6-4 18:57
Yeah I warn people because I wish noone need to make the Same experience I lost alot of Money because of DJI, by the way I did own it Just a few months still would consider myself a newbie and got all the Problems.

It really depends on how you fly it. If you wanna do fast cinematic stuff you will for Sure have this Problems and If you think you can so some mild freestyle you will 100% will have all the errors too.

I gotta be honest, this sounds like sour grapes to me.  It didn't work out for you so you're basically saying it's no good for everyone else, huh?  Despite there are literally thousands of youtube videos showing a bunch of satisfied flyers who are using the drone for the purpose for which it was designed.  The drone is not perfect but I like the 80/20 (or better) rule and if it works for 80% of the buyers then it's ok with me.  As far as I know, the Avata has a 100% perfect safety record.  Can you document otherwise, any injuries, deaths, or any property damage?  With a clean record like that, DJI would be foolish to recall....
2023-6-4
Use props
djiuser_p1ZzQHJNWzQ8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1093671 ft
Canada

Koolada Posted at 6-4 18:57

It really depends on how you fly it. If you wanna do fast cinematic stuff you will for Sure have this Problems and If you think you can so some mild freestyle you will 100% will have all the errors too.

Love my Avata personality but again I use it as intended.... I don't goto a Ford dealership if I want a Ferrari either...
2023-6-4
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I probably enjoy flying the Avata overall better than any of my fleet. I've had it since release. Full disclosure, mine has never been in "M" mode. Just as I was going to start, people starting reporting "issues" and frankly I got spooked. Like The Saint mentioned, I don't plan to go "wild" when I do finally enable "M" mode. So I may not be the one to take any advice from.

I fly with the MC2 and the Controller 2. They are both great, but with the Controller 2 I can easily fly in the woods in VERY confined spaces. I fly the Avata in places I would not attempt with any of my other aircraft. It's a LOT of fun.
2023-6-5
Use props
Koolada
lvl.4
Germany

I used it exactly as intended. Its compatible with the FPV 2 and I was doing exactly stuff that DJI advertise it for and I didnt say it couldnt Work for no one but its a fact that this drone Crashes in Sharp yaw movements and does sometimes this flyaway without arm possibility If crashed ... and thats enaugh for me to sell it and warn other people about this Situation.

You can find 100s of Videos If you search for the topics and they flyaway stuff so yeah it could Work If you fly slowly but thats exactly what i was stating. Everything else is just personal Feeling ignoring facts. The topic Starter asked exactly for this errors and surprise I was confirming them. Yeah pure luck nothing happened Till now but one time I Had this flyaway stuff and this flight endet in a housewall 500m away.

If its working for you because you Just fly slowly with Motion Controller thats nice for you but its stillt advertised for more and will for Sure not Work for everyone that want to grow in the Hobby.
2023-6-5
Use props
Koolada
lvl.4
Germany

Its nice you Guys have fun with it. But to be honest you can do the stuff you mentioned and doing with other drones too and for me Personal better and 100 Times safer.

Sure If you never Crash you will never have this flyaway stuff, Same for yaw movements. Dont get me wrong im Not pointing at you saying you lie or don't can have fun with it but you clearly Not use it in every scenario DJI and many YouTubers are advertising it and many many people would be disappointed with it
2023-6-5
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5414203 ft
  • >>>
Germany

djiuser_p1ZzQHJNWzQ8 Posted at 6-4 20:07
Love my Avata personality but again I use it as intended.... I don't goto a Ford dealership if I want a Ferrari either...

Good luck to you for that you will never encounter what I had to: flying slowly, stopping and switching to manual mode. Out of this hell broke loose. Sorry, this thing is not safe by any means. It's just a matter of time that you will see this, not a matter of how you fly.
2023-6-5
Use props
f1xj4ws
lvl.1

United States

Koolada Posted at 6-4 12:39

I read your post history and I see how that must have been extremely annoying for you. Thank you for much for the input. Posts like these make me want to go with the FPV
2023-6-5
Use props
f1xj4ws
lvl.1

United States

SeehawerB Posted at 6-5 10:49
Good luck to you for that you will never encounter what I had to: flying slowly, stopping and switching to manual mode. Out of this hell broke loose. Sorry, this thing is not safe by any means. It's just a matter of time that you will see this, not a matter of how you fly.

Posts like these scare me
2023-6-5
Use props
f1xj4ws
lvl.1

United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 6-5 04:14
I probably enjoy flying the Avata overall better than any of my fleet. I've had it since release. Full disclosure, mine has never been in "M" mode. Just as I was going to start, people starting reporting "issues" and frankly I got spooked. Like The Saint mentioned, I don't plan to go "wild" when I do finally enable "M" mode. So I may not be the one to take any advice from.

I fly with the MC2 and the Controller 2. They are both great, but with the Controller 2 I can easily fly in the woods in VERY confined spaces. I fly the Avata in places I would not attempt with any of my other aircraft. It's a LOT of fun.

So if I understand you correctly, you would still prefer to fly it within places where you will be easily able to retrieve it in case it does fall.
because M mode or not, I don't see avata as a drone I'd be comfortable flying from the top of a mountain due to the wind resistance factor alone? :S
2023-6-5
Use props
f1xj4ws
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_p1ZzQHJNWzQ8 Posted at 6-4 20:07

I am going to a DJI dealership to buy a drone that does what they advertise and AT LEAST not jump around in the event of crash. I am not asking them to sell me a Ferrari.  
2023-6-5
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

f1xj4ws Posted at 6-5 12:01
I am going to a DJI dealership to buy a drone that does what they advertise and AT LEAST not jump around in the event of crash. I am not asking them to sell me a Ferrari.

Lots of people go buy those 4wd trucks based on the adverts and guess what happens when they go up into the mountains?  It's 2023, everyone at this point understands the nature of the advertisements.  You have to be reasonable.
2023-6-5
Use props
Koolada
lvl.4
Germany

f1xj4ws Posted at 6-5 11:58
I read your post history and I see how that must have been extremely annoying for you. Thank you for much for the input. Posts like these make me want to go with the FPV

You mean the DJI FPV? I heard the arms will break very easy and DJI Care is much, much more expensive for the FPV. It's a complete other concept of Drone. I decided against it because of the durability problems.
Wanted something safe and Durable, sold it because of basic concept not working and safety/trust reasons. I lost all trust in the copter because of the accidents and fw bugs, DJI is ignoring these problems since months I have 0% faith there will be something changing about the situation.

I mean if you don't have the tools or skills repairing a BNF Drone maybe I would prefer the Avata but if you're interested in the hobby I would 100% prefer a custom build Drone maybe with the O3 if you like the Camera quality of the Avata (its the same system) or maybe a Bind and fly. They are very durable crashed many times with my Nazgul and still just one broken antenna which I swapped in like 10 seconds and a few props which are much cheaper than DJI Props.

You really would just need a few allen keys and a soldering iron to get started and doing your repairs if something goes wrong. But I could also understand if thats not for everyone my colleague buyed the Avata with me and enjoys it alot and dont wanna do repairs by himself.

So yeah if you just cruise around very slow and just use the Motion  controller it could work but if you want to grow further then this im pretty sure you dont will like the Avata long Term.

2023-6-6
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

f1xj4ws Posted at 6-5 12:00
So if I understand you correctly, you would still prefer to fly it within places where you will be easily able to retrieve it in case it does fall.
because M mode or not, I don't see avata as a drone I'd be comfortable flying from the top of a mountain due to the wind resistance factor alone? :S

It's just that it excels in tight environments with the appropriate skills. I fly in rural PA, and there are mountains here, lots of rivers streams and creeks. When I fly from mountains the Avata is NOT the aircraft I'd be flying. Lack of a 3-axis gimble and wind resistance being the main reasons why.
2023-6-6
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Hard to say....the issue is there, but you can avoid it by smoothing the movement.
The biggest problem is not that, but the Fly away in case you get eve a slight crush...The drone is just going eratic and fly by itself in random ways, impossible to control it.
That is the biggest safety issue in my opinion as can cause accidents.

In rest, is nice to use it...
2023-6-6
Use props
f1xj4ws
lvl.1

Maldives

Thank you everyone for your help
I went ahead and bought an FPV Combo with FMK and a Motion controller
Loving it so far. Avata... one day maybe, still very desirable.
2023-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules