578 49 2023-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The river Trent at Newark, in Nottinghamshire, remains navigable thanks to the Town Lock, near the castle ruins.

2023-6-5
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Neat one. We have some similar ones here in Finland, too. Though it has been quite a long time since the last time I was near one.
2023-6-5
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 6-5 10:51
Neat one. We have some similar ones here in Finland, too. Though it has been quite a long time since the last time I was near one.

This one is very much larger than the one's you may have seen in my earlier posts from the local canals. Much larger boats pass through this lock, of course.
2023-6-5
Use props
Depp
Captain
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Ah, we've seen that before from the air, haven't we? Wasn't there a glimpse of a castle in the first shot? Ah, no but it somehow looks familiar.
2023-6-5
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 6-5 11:31
Ah, we've seen that before from the air, haven't we? Wasn't there a glimpse of a castle in the first shot? Ah, no but it somehow looks familiar.

Yes the first ten seconds are from my visit in 2018. The rest was all shot with the Action2 last month.
2023-6-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lovely footage Mr. B.    That was a fairly large canal boat.  Interesting name also - "ipe Dreams".  Guessing that was shot with the OA2 and not the Pocket 2.  
2023-6-5
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Blériot53 Posted at 6-5 11:35
Yes the first ten seconds are from my visit in 2018. The rest was all shot with the Action2 last month.

Didn't you post something one Newark Castle in Newark on Trent? I remember adding that castle to my list but I can't find your post...
2023-6-5
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 6-5 21:54
Didn't you post something one Newark Castle in Newark on Trent? I remember adding that castle to my list but I can't find your post...

This will be the one.  I have some more footage from last month as well, that I haven't posted yet.

2023-6-5
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-5 14:33
Lovely footage Mr. B.    That was a fairly large canal boat.  Interesting name also - "ipe Dreams".  Guessing that was shot with the OA2 and not the Pocket 2.

Hi RDB. Yes, we were walking through the area when the Lock began emptying. Bearing in mind our earlier discussions about Marple Locks, I just had to stay a while and capture the scene with the Action2.
2023-6-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Unusually large and the first electric operated gates Ive ever seen.  
2023-6-5
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-5 23:45
Unusually large and the first electric operated gates Ive ever seen.

Biggest one I've seen in England.  There was an electrically-operated bridge acros the canal in one of my recent posts  (It's not all Plain Sailing).
2023-6-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 6-5 23:15
Hi RDB. Yes, we were walking through the area when the Lock began emptying. Bearing in mind our earlier discussions about Marple Locks, I just had to stay a while and capture the scene with the Action2.

Glad you hung around and captured this impressive footage.
2023-6-6
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-6 03:13
Glad you hung around and captured this impressive footage.

It's perhaps as well I did, as I went down to the Marple Locks this morning with a view to filming some narrowboats passing through - only to find the flight closed and police divers searching for a missing person   All access to the area cordoned off.
2023-6-6
Use props
Depp
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Blériot53 Posted at 6-5 23:12
This will be the one.  I have some more footage from last month as well, that I haven't posted yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyMk7yGZH7o

Yes, that's right. I hadn't seen that one until years later...
2023-6-6
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 6-5 11:06
This one is very much larger than the one's you may have seen in my earlier posts from the local canals. Much larger boats pass through this lock, of course.

I see. And I guess this is also bigger than the one's I've seen here, though there could be some bigger ones here, too.
2023-6-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 6-6 04:43
It's perhaps as well I did, as I went down to the Marple Locks this morning with a view to filming some narrowboats passing through - only to find the flight closed and police divers searching for a missing person   All access to the area cordoned off.

Too bad they didn't call you and your drone in for search and rescue efforts.  Several people have been found here using drones recently.  Of course if it was an active crime scene it was probably a NFZ also.  
2023-6-6
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 6-6 13:26
I see. And I guess this is also bigger than the one's I've seen here, though there could be some bigger ones here, too.

I've never looked at canal systems over there - but I'd guess that narrowboats like ours would be less common.
2023-6-6
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-6 14:12
Too bad they didn't call you and your drone in for search and rescue efforts.  Several people have been found here using drones recently.  Of course if it was an active crime scene it was probably a NFZ also.

Definitely not an area to go flying recreational drones over just now. And although I haven't looked, there's probably a temporary NOTAM  in place for the area anyway.
2023-6-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-6 00:12
Biggest one I've seen in England.  There was an electrically-operated bridge acros the canal in one of my recent posts  (It's not all Plain Sailing).

Do they have bigger boats on there,   or just a case of getting more boats through at the same time for speed.
2023-6-6
Use props
HGDC84
First Officer
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 6-6 22:04
I've never looked at canal systems over there - but I'd guess that narrowboats like ours would be less common.

I suspect so, too. Your nation is surrounded by water, while our sea areas are mostly located on southern and western regions of the country.
2023-6-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 6-6 22:05
Definitely not an area to go flying recreational drones over just now. And although I haven't looked, there's probably a temporary NOTAM  in place for the area anyway.

Yeah, that sounds totally reasonable.  Hopefully, they found the missing person.
2023-6-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-6 23:35
Do they have bigger boats on there,   or just a case of getting more boats through at the same time for speed.

There are some much larger pleasure cruisers there.

2023-6-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 6-7 02:33
I suspect so, too. Your nation is surrounded by water, while our sea areas are mostly located on southern and western regions of the country.

The beautiful Baltic and Gulfs of Bothnia and Finland
2023-6-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-7 02:57
Yeah, that sounds totally reasonable.  Hopefully, they found the missing person.

Nothing on the local news so far.
2023-6-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 6-7 08:18
Nothing on the local news so far.

Sometimes no news is good news.  We can only hope the missing person will be found and is okay.
2023-6-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-7 18:06
Sometimes no news is good news.  We can only hope the missing person will be found and is okay.

A newspaper report states that there was increased police activity at the scene yesterday, and detectives were seen arriving. But nothing else.
2023-6-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-7 07:46
There are some much larger pleasure cruisers there.

[view_image]

Blimey. thats not your typical barge.  
2023-6-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-7 23:05
Blimey. thats not your typical barge.

There are several of those moored along the riverside.  And further downstream there's a floating pub
2023-6-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-7 23:11
There are several of those moored along the riverside.  And further downstream there's a floating pub

We have a floating pub here too but it never moves.  
2023-6-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-7 23:24
We have a floating pub here too but it never moves.

I think the one at Newark must be the same. Permanently moored.
2023-6-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-7 23:28
I think the one at Newark must be the same. Permanently moored.

Otherwise the patrons wouldn't know where to find it.
2023-6-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 6-7 23:29
Otherwise the patrons wouldn't know where to find it.

Haha.  I'd be worried about the ones who imbibed excessively toppling into the river
2023-6-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 6-7 21:46
A newspaper report states that there was increased police activity at the scene yesterday, and detectives were seen arriving. But nothing else.

That's not sounding so good, especially if detectives showed up.  Well, I still have hope that the person will be found and is okay but as time passes odds diminish.
2023-6-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-8 02:00
That's not sounding so good, especially if detectives showed up.  Well, I still have hope that the person will be found and is okay but as time passes odds diminish.

Latest bulletin is, a body has been found  
2023-6-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 6-8 03:24
Latest bulletin is, a body has been found

Sorry to hear that.  I was hoping for the best but due to the time that elapsed I feared the worst.
2023-6-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-9 02:30
Sorry to hear that.  I was hoping for the best but due to the time that elapsed I feared the worst.

Apparently, on the same stretch of canal earlier this year, a woman fell from her narrowboat and drowned.
2023-6-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 6-9 02:54
Apparently, on the same stretch of canal earlier this year, a woman fell from her narrowboat and drowned.

Yeah, that is really sad to hear.  

I learned to swim at an early age and made sure all my kids had swimming lessons at an early age.  Being around the water I felt it was a need for them.  My youngest was taking lessons at 18 months old and now she is the strongest swimmer of all of the kids.  
2023-6-10
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-10 04:04
Yeah, that is really sad to hear.  

I learned to swim at an early age and made sure all my kids had swimming lessons at an early age.  Being around the water I felt it was a need for them.  My youngest was taking lessons at 18 months old and now she is the strongest swimmer of all of the kids.

Very wise precaution. It's surprising just how many drownings there are in the British canals - they're only averagely 1m50 deep.  If you were to stand on the bottom your head would be above water.
2023-6-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 6-10 04:24
Very wise precaution. It's surprising just how many drownings there are in the British canals - they're only averagely 1m50 deep.  If you were to stand on the bottom your head would be above water.

Unfortunately, drownings do happen here also.  Recently, a 4 year old wandered from his house into a local retention pond and drowned.  Just before that a 3 year old drowned in his bath tub.  I'm thinking both of these could have been prevented.  

The place to be especially careful of is along the ocean's edge where the under currents are prevalent.  
2023-6-11
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-11 01:45
Unfortunately, drownings do happen here also.  Recently, a 4 year old wandered from his house into a local retention pond and drowned.  Just before that a 3 year old drowned in his bath tub.  I'm thinking both of these could have been prevented.  

The place to be especially careful of is along the ocean's edge where the under currents are prevalent.

There was just such an incident on the south coast UK just last week.
2023-6-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules