FreeWell ND Filters ?
1117 16 2023-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
O0O j0hnny O0O
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2328599 ft
Canada

Just received these today.. Did a couple of hours research on them and decided to get them..
Anyone else use these? Going to try the ND 16 first as it's kind of hazy this evening.

2023-6-5
Use props
O0O j0hnny O0O
lvl.4
Canada

2023-6-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use Freewell ND filters on all my drones.  I have tried two other brands but keep coming back to Freewell as they seem to be of a better quality, fit better and are a lot more durable.  
2023-6-5
Use props
O0O j0hnny O0O
lvl.4
Canada

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-5 14:16
I use Freewell ND filters on all my drones.  I have tried two other brands but keep coming back to Freewell as they seem to be of a better quality, fit better and are a lot more durable.

Yes I'm thinking that they are amazing..
I'm just reviewing the footage I shot this evening and so far notice a big improvement.
Going to try to make a short video in my video editor and see how it turns out ..
Thanks
2023-6-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

O0O j0hnny O0O Posted at 6-5 16:17
Yes I'm thinking that they are amazing..
I'm just reviewing the footage I shot this evening and so far notice a big improvement.
Going to try to make a short video in my video editor and see how it turns out ..

You can't go wrong buying Freewell ND filters.  Good luck on making your video.  
2023-6-6
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Personally, I have PolarPro and PGYTech ND and ND-PL filters for my Pocket 2 myself, and been happy with them so far, but for what I have heard, the Freewell ones also definetely belong into the category of one of the better options. I have been thinking about getting some of those too, such as the ND1000 filter and the night filter.
2023-6-6
Use props
O0O j0hnny O0O
lvl.4
Canada

Yes PolarPros are way up there. I will probably go with them for the Mavic 3 Pro after it's released in the "drone only" option.
2023-6-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I'd like to see a good comparison where you can see the improvement.
So far I have never bothered ND filters on drones (I had them for my previous drone) since I don't feel it is worth the effort.
But I'd love to get proof I'm wrong.

I know that motion blur 'can' slightly improve your footage, but from what I have seen, this is only relevant if the subject is rather close and less important for drone footage.
If you fly slow and smooth, I have seen no reason to put them on.   
So I'm curious to see 2 'the same' shots from the same moment (close to the same) that show the improvement.
2023-6-13
Use props
O0O j0hnny O0O
lvl.4
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 6-13 05:49
So far I have never bothered ND filters on drones (I had them for my previous drone) since I don't feel it is worth the effort.

I'm using them now in conjunction with my shutter speeds and experimenting with fps, and everything else yes. Exposure can change in an instant in a slight movement of the drone, so when I start filming something in particular, I would use filters to keep the exposure more stable.
When I first tried them, I noticed the difference rite away.
So much more everything.
I also ran with some pre planned Pro settings.
Then tweaked from there.
Nothing was on auto and I was amazed..

Thanks Montfrooij
2023-6-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

O0O j0hnny O0O Posted at 6-13 11:36
I'm using them now in conjunction with my shutter speeds and experimenting with fps, and everything else yes. Exposure can change in an instant in a slight movement of the drone, so when I start filming something in particular, I would use filters to keep the exposure more stable.
When I first tried them, I noticed the difference rite away.
So much more everything.

If you can, please share some similar footage with and without.
I would love to see what you feel is 'better' with ND filters.
2023-6-14
Use props
O0O j0hnny O0O
lvl.4
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 6-14 01:16
If you can, please share some similar footage with and without.
I would love to see what you feel is 'better' with ND filters.

I took some today yes and am going to go through that footage after "after work" chores ..
Will definitely keep this in mind when in the "editor"..
I'm using PowerDirector atm. just to add.
But yes, today I even mentioned to my driver to pop over and check out how crisp the images were.
Ok I get going on this ..
Thanks Montfrooij
2023-6-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

O0O j0hnny O0O Posted at 6-14 12:30
I took some today yes and am going to go through that footage after "after work" chores ..
Will definitely keep this in mind when in the "editor"..
I'm using PowerDirector atm. just to add.

Yes, show me the proof of that.
I'd love to convince myself that it is indeed an improvement, but so far have not seen any.
2023-6-15
Use props
O0O j0hnny O0O
lvl.4
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 6-13 05:49
So far I have never bothered ND filters on drones (I had them for my previous drone) since I don't feel it is worth the effort.

this isn't the best example and I could put all those clips together and go through all the numbers, blah, blah, blah,,, but I give you my word, and I do not promote anything.
And when I do, it's SOLiD..

anyway,,,

I promise you will be amazed when you use ND's..
I'm not going to suggest a brand.

just try to find a "kit" with all the following..  
ND 4,8,16,32,64, and 1000 (high exposure)..

Thanks Montfrooij

2023-6-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

O0O j0hnny O0O Posted at 6-15 15:50
[view_image]

this isn't the best example and I could put all those clips together and go through all the numbers, blah, blah, blah,,, but I give you my word, and I do not promote anything.

Sorry, I was not clear, I'm interested in video examples.
You don't need ND filters for photography on a drone. (unless you want super long exposures during daylight  with an ND1000)
Your shutterspeed / iso can take care of good exposure themselves. (dialing in a low ISO + fast shutterspeed is usually good for photography unless you want to shoot straight into the sun maybe)

With video that is different and some claim to see big improvements, which I have not seen yet.
They use the 180 shutter rule ad claim it looks better. I'd like to see proof of that.

I have ND filters for my handheld cameras and use them all the time (when the subject is relatively close). It's just that I have not seen improvements with drone video.
2023-6-15
Use props
O0O j0hnny O0O
lvl.4
Canada

You were actually very clear
As to why I wrote with the img upload,,
"this isn't the best example and I could put all those clips together and go through all the numbers, blah, blah, blah,,,"
I agree 100% yes and actually understood every word you said. If you know what you are doing you can do anything.
I still do see a difference with the filters. I'm hoping to get some serious shooting in this weekend
and I can start dialing everything in as best I can depending on the plan and lighting conditions.
I know exactly what I'm looking for now so we'll see how close I can get to that.
I definitely know who to ask for advice now if I can't get what I'm looking for.

Thanks Montfrooij

2023-6-16
Use props
djiuser_Jo4p2kbKE3PL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 546506 ft
United States

I have some of them also. I am still trying to get use to which ones are better for each situation. But they seem to be really good so far.
2023-8-18
Use props
RD West
lvl.1

United States

Just read this, thanks so much. I intend to use Freewell ND filters now.
2023-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules