1269 10 2023-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheMann58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maximum distance flown with Mavic 3 Pro while continuously recording MP4 video at 4K/60 in normal color mode at full-throttle Normal mode speed (33.5 mph) was 43,386 feet (8.22 miles, 13.22 km) out from Home Point. I was able to return to Home Point from this distance, but just barely as discussed below.

I recently flew a long-distance flight with a fully-charged battery to determine the maximum usable distance of the DJI Mavic 3 Pro while recording 4K/60 MP4 video. To maximize battery life, obstacle avoidance was turned off for this flight and I flew in normal flight mode at full throttle for the entire flight. There was a 6-8 mph crosswind reported by the UAV Forecast app at 400 feet elevation (my flight elevation) throughout the flight.

As shown in the screen capture below from the flight record, my max distance from Home Point for this flight was 43,386 feet (8.22 miles, 13.22 km), where I turned around with a 53% battery level.

Max Distance Flight - Mid Point

Max Distance Flight - Mid Point

At 1104 feet from Home Point, the remaining battery level dropped from 2% to 0% and the remaining battery time displayed on the DJI Fly app was 00'15". I had been using the left stick to maintain altitude ever since the battery level dropped below 10%, but I now allowed the aircraft to start descending automatically under critical battery condition procedures while continuing to fly toward the Home Point. At 800 feet from Home Point the remaining battery time dropped to zero and and then displayed --'--". Things were getting a little tense at this point.

Fortunately, I was able to get the drone back to Home Point and land it under power as shown in the screen shot below from the flight record. However, immediately upon landing, the aircraft battery powered itself off. There was a message displayed a couple seconds earlier on the DJI Fly app stating "Critical Low Battery. Aircraft in Auto Power Off Protection. Forced Landing in Progress." Total flight time was 31 min 32 sec.

Max Distance Flight - End

Max Distance Flight - End

While it MAY be possible to fly the DJI Mavic 3 Pro further than this by flying on a completely windless day with zero crosswind and/or by recording video at a lower resolution or frame rate, I wouldn't recommend flying the aircraft below 5% battery level. Fortunately, in my case, after allowing the battery to cool to indoor ambient temperature, I was able to fully charge this battery and it showed no signs of swelling before or after charging.

2023-6-10
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Wow, that is impressive, would love to see the video of this flight.
2023-6-10
Use props
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United Kingdom

Cool.
Have you thought about recording at 720p/24? The video wouldn't weigh as much, allowing you to travel further.
2023-6-11
Use props
flojo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42175 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Thank you for taking the time to test and share that useful information! While I never fly that far away it is good to know that the drone is capable of distances like this. May I ask which controller you used and if there were maybe any other wifi signals around?
2023-6-11
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very impressive distance flown.    You're braver than me as I always try to land with at least 15% battery remaining to cover any emergent situations.  
2023-6-11
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

flojo Posted at 6-11 04:08
Thank you for taking the time to test and share that useful information! While I never fly that far away it is good to know that the drone is capable of distances like this. May I ask which controller you used and if there were maybe any other wifi signals around?

Hi, flojo - I used the DJI RC Pro.

I was flying adjacent to neighborhoods with, I assume, the usual assortment of home Wifi transmitters, wireless phones/cameras, etc. I have found that all DJI RCs on drones released over the past 4 years to be fairly immune to signal interference, particularly if they have the ability to automatically switch to the cleanest frequency.

I had no problem with RC control signal or video transmission throughout the entire flight, but you do need to keep the flat vertical sides of the RC antennaes aimed directly at the aircraft wihen flying at a distance to maintain stable connection.
2023-6-11
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-11 04:36
Very impressive distance flown.    You're braver than me as I always try to land with at least 15% battery remaining to cover any emergent situations.

Hi, DowntownRDB! I agree -- most of my flights are planned out to capture a series of specific video shots or photos (or both) and I land the aircraft with 25% or more remaining battery life. This was a one-off long-distance flight to test limits.
2023-6-11
Use props
mikereidphotography
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1897126 ft
United States

Love this...

I got over 10,000 feet away with the regular RC controller but it was in the Mountains.  Pretty thrilled to have significant battery life left at that distance.
2023-6-11
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

video or it didn't happen
2023-6-11
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

TheMann58 Posted at 6-11 11:33
Hi, DowntownRDB! I agree -- most of my flights are planned out to capture a series of specific video shots or photos (or both) and I land the aircraft with 25% or more remaining battery life. This was a one-off long-distance flight to test limits.

No doubt it tested limits of connectivity and battery endurance.  
2023-6-12
Use props
2wheeledphotog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3432372 ft
United States

Interesting results. I've been getting right about 30 minutes flight time with about 20% remaining. And you're very brave. I took mine to like 12% the other day and it did not seem to be happy about it and got very threatening with me about landing
2023-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules