P2 fly away, made it home, Just.
1747 8 2014-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

After all these recent updates I am re testing everything.
Everything 're calibrated, IMU, the works. All test flights perfect, in GPS and ATTI modes, IOC great, perfect compass calibration all good, 11 sats. All Nice.

However in testing waypoints a major situation occurs.
A full video of what happened:   
Basically a simple waypoint test to 100 feet distance at 198 feet altitude then back home, turned into a nightmare that seriously went wrong. It suddenly loaded its own way point, I saw it on the screen,( reloading way point) to a location outside the green circle on the map, which isn't possible, to it's  maximum distance. OMG, panic stations.
It tried to load a waypoint a few times, then said gps failed to load, trying to reload, I am actively trying to recover at this time, using atti and ioc, I also cancelled way point using return home function, to no avail.I still have video feed throughout, so know it's not crashed, then turned off transmitter as last resort, thats when it went bonkers, flying backwards to its own new waypoint.
I feel lucky it came home. watch video and see what actions I took and how I managed to save it.
2014-12-7
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

First thing that comes to mind is the when running with waypoints turning the transmitter off does NOT trigger return to home.  Waypoint flying is designed to expect loss of transmitter since that is why you would use waypoint.  On the Ground Station screen you could have cancelled the program of pressed the home icon, that would have cancelled the waypoint program and returned the Phantom to home.

I'll leave explaining why it re-uploaded new (and random) waypoints to the DJI folks.  Honestly, I don't know why it should be able to upload new waypoints while in flight; that (IMO) shouldn't be allowed but I have heard from people what when you lose WIFI connection upon reconnect it re-uploads the waypoint program.  I personally have not had this happen (but I don't feel this is proper behavior if that is what happens).
2014-12-7
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

kenargo Posted at 2014-12-8 08:27
First thing that comes to mind is the when running with waypoints turning the transmitter off does N ...

Hi, thanks for reply.

If you want to cancel way points, do you know the correct procedure. ?

For example is it:

"Press return to home" in the APP, then it should start coming home
Then Toggke S1 to get back manual mode with GPS ?

2014-12-8
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

kenargo Posted at 2014-12-8 08:27
First thing that comes to mind is the when running with waypoints turning the transmitter off does N ...

Just re installed APP. The initial instructions say when using waypoint, you can regain control by toggling S1 switch back to GPS, which is what i did.
2014-12-8
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

First - your phantom did you a favour - the footage was brilliant much better that your mission - lol

I have had a similar problem where the app uploaded waypoints on its own, whilst it was on its mission.  It was scary too, because it did it after I lost sight of the thing.  Also when I watch the footage I also notice that the phantom 'looks around' just before it completes a manoeuvre, I thought it was the wind but now I am not so sure.

I just left it to do its thing and thought 'happy thoughts' while waiting for it to return.  I think the app is not bug free.
2014-12-8
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

Waypoint flight is not bug free even with the full feature iOS Bluetooth Ground Station.
There are so many variables at play, you always need to be wary of GPS glitches, etc.

And, if you do some research, you'll find that GPS reliability is very much affected by things like solar activity...
2014-12-8
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

There was a solar spike apparently the day I flew apparently, I have just read.
2014-12-8
Use props
huntarr
lvl.2

United States

I posted this thread the other day to try to keep everyone up to date on real time Solar activity.  The images stay current.  But yes you should get a solar tracker on your mobile. It's been very high recently

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... ra=page%3D1&lang=en

+1 some support if you appreciate it.
2014-12-8
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Lol, that was it,  that's the day  I flew 7th
2014-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now