708 5 2023-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dthawk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5493514 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am considering upgradng to a M3P however... Anyone having the expanding battery issue on the M3P?

I've had my fair share of expanding batteries on my Mavic 2 Pro over the years. DJI has been real good to me by sending me replacement batteries at no charge. When they become to  Fat to fit in my M2P. Mostly caused by flying in hot conditions during summer months. I live in Texas and the summer time heat on days that reach 90 degrees F and above for flying long flights of 15 to 25 minutes takes its toll on the M2P battery cells. I am a recreation photographer and dont do commercial work. I dont fly very often when temps are above 90F in the summer time.  Maybe 5-7 min if I need to get a photo or video and I do it quickly. Mostly fly in the mornings during the summer months before temps get too hot which is usally after 12 pm.

The M2P is still a perfect drone for what I do. I do more photography then video. Dont see much improvement on the M3P Hassleblad camera over the M2P Hassleblad camera. Just many more perks on the 3P for video work. There are so many pros and cons. Battery issues are my most concerns on the M3P. Their not cheap.

And the Remote ID issue that is coming in September. No idea what to do on that with the M2P. Seems like no one knows anything. I've heard it couid cost up to $300 to add a remote ID module by 3rd party. Yikes!

David
Plano TX
2023-6-13
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have been luck enough to have never had an issue with my M2P batteries. I have six batteries for my M3 Cine and have not had any issues at all with those batteries.

I'm thinking that the M2P will be RID compliant with a simple firmware update, but we shall see.
2023-6-13
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

The battery design for the M3's changed radically from the M2P.  There appears to be no widespread issue with batteries for the M3 series and keep in mind, the Mavic 3 battery type has been out there for a while now.  Go forward with confidence.
2023-6-13
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

I had 3 batteries expand / swell on Mavic 2 Pro and I bought more batteries for it knowing it is reaching end of life. I never had battery swelling on my Mavic 3 and I have been flying it almost daily since last year's spring. Hoping Mavic 3 won't have this problem, also the battery is encased in hard plastic cover as oppose to M2 batteries having one side of the battery going inside the drone encased in some sort of a soft cover that would allow swelling. Hope this helps.

Take care, Mike.
2023-6-13
Use props
Dthawk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5493514 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mzp Posted at 6-13 15:17
I had 3 batteries expand / swell on Mavic 2 Pro and I bought more batteries for it knowing it is reaching end of life. I never had battery swelling on my Mavic 3 and I have been flying it almost daily since last year's spring. Hoping Mavic 3 won't have this problem, also the battery is encased in hard plastic cover as oppose to M2 batteries having one side of the battery going inside the drone encased in some sort of a soft cover that would allow swelling. Hope this helps.

Take care, Mike.

I am also considering buying a few extra batteries to have in case they discontinue them. And keep them stored for a year or two.  Any idea on the shelf life on M2P battery?
2023-6-13
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dthawk Posted at 6-13 17:42
I am also considering buying a few extra batteries to have in case they discontinue them. And keep them stored for a year or two.  Any idea on the shelf life on M2P battery?

You can hoard batteries and not sweat it.  They already probably sit around a fair amount.  Regarding the RID stuff, let it go man.  It's not a big deal to get an add-on unit and they will come down in price.  Maybe DJI will even surprise everyone with a firmware update that magically grants compliance.
2023-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules