Max Wind Resistance
7588 16 2023-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yachats
lvl.1
United States

I have seen the spec sheet(s) for most Mavic drones and am interested in learning more about "Max Wind Resistance".
Can someone please explain to me a few things on this topic?

What exactly is "Max Wind Resistance" I use a Mavic2 Pro and am thinking of upgrading...
    How is "Max Wind Resistance" determined for DJI drone systems?
    What criteria is used to determine "Max Wind Resistance"?
    Is "Max Wind Resistance" assigned to a drone after some kind of testing procedure?
    If "Max Wind Resistance" is determined as a result of testing, what kind of tests are performed?
    Is this information available publicly? If so Where can learn more about "Max Wind Resistance"?
    Does "Max Wind Resistance" change under different circumstances?
    How can I apply my knowledge of the "Max Wind Resistance" specification to my safety and flight plans?

2023-6-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Even if the definition/s is/are given of what use will it/they be to you?

The wind speed you see at ground level is unlikely to reflect the wind speed at height, wind speed generally increases with height.
What you should be interested in is seeing if
a) the drone can hold position in a hover in wind at the chosen height. There is, in effect, an artificial-horizon/attitude-indicator in the Go4 app that indicates the drone's tilt. As such the tilt will indicate the strength of the wind that the drone is having to fight to hold a hover, that idea extends into commanded horizontal movement as well. I.e. if the tilt is not appropriate to the commanded ground speed then the drone is in wind e.g. if the drone is flying horizontally yet the artifical horizon is showing  the drone is horizontal it, the artificial horizon, is telling you that  the drone is being flown downwind in a wind whose speed matches the  commanded ground speed.b) With each flight mode, including RTH, what headway, speed wise, it can make into a head wind?

You DO NOT want the drone fighting a headwind that slows a return to home journey to 1 or 2 metres per second ESPECIALLY if the return trip is a long ground distance. With regards to flying horizontally

2023-6-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Yachats. Thank you for reaching out. The Max Wind Resistance of Mavic 2 Pro is 29–38 kph. The pilot can refer to the wind speed of the weather forecast, but because the weather environment will change in real-time, the wind speed during the actual flight will also change in real-time, so the pilot needs to pay attention to the actual attitude by Attitude Indicator.
1. The Max Wind Resistance is the parameter given after the test.
2. During the actual flight, the pilot can also pay attention to a prompt or warning on the App. Our flight controller will estimate wind speed and then set a threshold. If the wind speed continues to exceed the threshold for a period of time, a corresponding prompt will be given.
2023-6-15
Use props
Yachats
lvl.1
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 6-15 23:34
Hi, Yachats. Thank you for reaching out. The Max Wind Resistance of Mavic 2 Pro is 29–38 kph. The pilot can refer to the wind speed of the weather forecast, but because the weather environment will change in real-time, the wind speed during the actual flight will also change in real-time, so the pilot needs to pay attention to the actual attitude by Attitude Indicator.
2. During the actual flight, the pilot can also pay attention to a prompt or warning on the App. Our flight controller will estimate wind speed and then set a threshold. If the wind speed continues to exceed the threshold for a period of time, a corresponding prompt will be given.

The Max Wind Resistance is the parameter given after the test.

That is precicly my question for which I seek an answer..

How is the test performmed to achieve the 29–38 kph result?

I am very interested in knowing this asnwer, Thank you.

2023-6-16
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Best to take another example and apply it to your questions.

A bridge has a max weight loading of, let's say, 1000kg. At that exact point, the bridge will break and can no longer support any weight.

If you've designed the bridge to this max weight spec, then you need a SWL (Safe Working Load) which is a figure below the breaking point, but with enough of a  safety margin to ensure that someone not being careful isn't put at risk, so let's put the SWL at 600KG, this leaves a comfortable margin of 400KG to allow for this.

For DJI drones, the max wind resistance isn't the point of failure, but the limit at which the drone will not be able to tilt into the wind and fight it to remain in place. What DJI does implement, which is clever, is that the drone will drift with the wind if it exceeds the max wind speed. Not ideal, but also better than the drone tilting over and falling from the sky. So the max wind speed DJI quotes is really the 'SWL' point in which the drone will give up and just move with the wind. Obviously if you're in a hurricane it's not going to sustain flight, but there is a margin of error and protections in place.

What I would suggest is to take DJI's max wind resistance, knock 20-25% off that speed and (if you're a commercial operator) state that is the max wind resistance you'll fly in and it can be verified before takeoff using an anemometer.

Also, keep in mind that DJI also states a maximum surface takeoff wind, which is usually a third of the max wind speed.
2023-6-18
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yachats Posted at 6-16 07:45

I would assume that DJI use a wind tunnel to do all their testing, they will be doing one hell of a lot of R&D. The bracket is probably there to account for gusts.
2023-6-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

CloudVisual Posted at 6-18 04:13
Best to take another example and apply it to your questions.

A bridge has a max weight loading of, let's say, 1000kg. At that exact point, the bridge will break and can no longer support any weight.

or DJI drones, the max wind resistance isn't the point of failure, but the limit at which the drone will not be able to tilt into the wind and fight it to remain in place.
Except that it isn't that at all.
DJI's stated Max Wind Resistance for the Mavic 3 is 12 m/s (23.3 knots) and max speed of 21 m/s.
I've regularly flown mine in winds with speeds accurately measured at the site of up to 30 knots.
The drone is able to hold position in those winds.
It doesn't get blown backwards while trying to hold position.

DJI give a Max Wind Resistance of 14 m/s for the Inspire 3 which has a top speed of 26 m/s.

What DJI does implement, which is clever, is that the drone will drift with the wind if it exceeds the max wind speed.
There's nothing at all clever to that and it's not something that DJI have "implemented".

Not ideal, but also better than the drone tilting over and falling from the sky.
The drone isn't/wouldn't ever "tilt over and fall from the sky".
If the drone is in a wind that's more than the drone can fight  against, the drone is simply blown backwards while trying to fly  forwards.
The tilt angle won't exceed the set limits in the firmware.

So the max wind speed DJI quotes is really the 'SWL' point in which the drone will give up and just move with the wind.
That's just guesswork and isn't borne out by testing.

What I would suggest is to take DJI's max wind resistance, knock 20-25% off that speed and (if you're a commercial operator) state that is the max wind resistance you'll fly in and it can be verified before takeoff using an anemometer.
I regularly have to fly in windy conditions and safely fly in winds significantl more than DJI's unexplained Max Wind Resistance.

Also, keep in mind that DJI also states a maximum surface takeoff wind, which is usually a third of the max wind speed.
Do they?
I've been reading everything I can about DJI drones for years and this is the first I've heard of such a thing.
Can you point me to somewhere I can see it?

Whatever DJI's Max WInd Resistance is, it's not a max safe wind speed you can fly in.
But if it was, it would be a simple thing for them to say so.

2023-6-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CloudVisual Posted at 6-18 04:15
I would assume that DJI use a wind tunnel to do all their testing, they will be doing one hell of a lot of R&D. The bracket is probably there to account for gusts.

The bracket has nothing to do with gusts.
It coincides with the ranges for the Beaufort Scale which is used commonly in China to broadly describe wind speeds.
But why do some drones have a Max Wind Resistance expressed as a range, eg Mini 2 MWR = Force 5 or 8.5-10.5 m/s, while the Mini 3 pro (with identical performance specs) has a MWR of 10.7 m/s ??
2023-6-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 6-15 23:34
2. During the actual flight, the pilot can also pay attention to a prompt or warning on the App. Our flight controller will estimate wind speed and then set a threshold. If the wind speed continues to exceed the threshold for a period of time, a corresponding prompt will be given.

Yachats asked specific and very good questions.
Unfortunately your reply didn't answer any of them.
Are you able to find someone at DJI who can?
2023-6-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Yachats Posted at 6-16 07:45

Hi, Yachats. We are sorry to inform you that there is no more information about that. Could you kindly tell us what problems did you encounter during use? And we can help you solve it.
2023-6-21
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Labroides Posted at 6-18 04:51
Yachats asked specific and very good questions.
Unfortunately your reply didn't answer any of them.
Are you able to find someone at DJI who can?

Hi, Labroides.  We already reached out to our relevant team regretfully, there is no more information about that. Also, not everything can be shared publicly. But if the user is having an issue, we'll be happy to help them. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2023-6-21
Use props
Yachats
lvl.1
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 6-21 06:56
Hi, Labroides.  We already reached out to our relevant team regretfully, there is no more information about that. Also, not everything can be shared publicly. But if the user is having an issue, we'll be happy to help them. Thank you for your kind understanding.

Thank you for attempting to get more information on this.
I am not having any issues with my drone or ability to pilot the craft.
The reason for the questions is for my own education and edification, to satisfy my own curiosity about Max Wind Resistance and what it means.

Why even post Max Wind Resistance stats if they mean nothing in the first place. "There is a number, but if I tell you.... "

All I am asking is how the tests are performed to achieve the specification. (Not to steal propitiatory information)  
2023-6-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 6-21 06:56

We already reached out to our relevant team regretfully, there is no more information about that. Also, not everything can be shared publicly.

????????
What does DJI mean by Max Wind Resistance?
That should be a simple question.
The specs for each DJI drone list a value for Max Wind Resistance.
No users can work out what it means or how it's at all useful.
What's the point of telling us the Max Wind Resistance but refusing to explain what it actually is?
This is a new low for DJI's poor communications with users.

2023-6-22
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

If I had to have an educated guess, I would say that the Max Wind Resistance is simply the speed of the wind at which the drone cannot longer maintain hovering position...

I found this site.. Not sure if it will help...

https://dronesgator.com/can-drones-fly-in-strong-winds/

2023-6-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Burt37 Posted at 6-22 00:44
If I had to have an educated guess, I would say that the Max Wind Resistance is simply the speed of the wind at which the drone cannot longer maintain hovering position...

It's won't.
That piece is just junk with a lot of padding.
It doesn't give any useful information about flying in wind or about the mysterious Max Wind resistance.
2023-6-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Yachats Posted at 6-21 09:40
Thank you for attempting to get more information on this.
I am not having any issues with my drone or ability to pilot the craft.
The reason for the questions is for my own education and edification, to satisfy my own curiosity about Max Wind Resistance and what it means.

Hi, Yachats. Thank you for the reply. Max Wind Resistance means that the aircraft can still hover under this wind speed, and the aircraft cannot maintain its attitude after exceeding this wind speed. Normally, when a wind prompt or warning appears in App, we recommend lowering the flight altitude or returning to the home point to avoid accidents.
2023-6-23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Labroides Posted at 6-22 00:23
We already reached out to our relevant team regretfully, there is no more information about that. Also, not everything can be shared publicly.
????????
What does DJI mean by Max Wind Resistance?

Hi, Labroides. Please refer to Post #16. Thank you.
2023-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules