Osmo Action 3 Extension Rod questions
1686 16 2023-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

A couple of questions I'd like to ask about the forementioned rod. I thought I could possibly use it with the Pocket 2 utilising the Osmo Pocket Accessory Mount, but I am wondering about a couple of things.

1) I am impressed by the extension to 1,5 meters, haven't seen much longer extension rods for this and considering getting one, as there could be a couple of instances I could utilise it in. However, I read somewhere that the rod is water-resistant but not recommended for use underwater. That could be a problem, as I thought I could put the Pocket 2 into a water-proof case and 'peek' underwater with it without going into the water myself. Does this apply to any kind of water or saltwater only? If it is only about the saltwater, that wouldn't be a problem, as there aren't many oceans or other bodies of saltwater in Finland.
2) Is there any kind of way to attach a phone to the rod for remote control on the occasions I use the Pocket 2 with the Do-It-All Handle? I would like to be able to access control of the camera, even when it is so far away from my hand I can't press the buttons of the Pocket 2 itself, and for that, having an easy place to place the phone on the rod would be essential.

I know there is an separate extension rod compatible with the Pocket 2 with remote controls and a holder for a phone, but I would like to have something that is a) longer and b) waterproof.

Thanks in advance for all replies, insights and suggestions!

2023-6-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, HGDC84. Thank you for reaching out. The Osmo Action 3 is just an extension rod, it cannot control the power on/off and shooting function. It can be used underwater. The Osmo Action 3 1.5m Extension Rod is made of an aluminum alloy, and the handle is a silicone rubber pad. While the wireless module and DO-IT-ALL Handle is the extension rod for the Osmo Pocket series and it is not water resistant. It is not possible to wirelessly control the e Osmo Pocket 2 underwater. Hope this helps.
2023-6-16
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DJI Gamora Posted at 6-16 06:41
Hi, HGDC84. Thank you for reaching out. The Osmo Action 3 is just an extension rod, it cannot control the power on/off and shooting function. It can be used underwater. The Osmo Action 3 1.5m Extension Rod is made of an aluminum alloy, and the handle is a silicone rubber pad. While the wireless module and DO-IT-ALL Handle is the extension rod for the Osmo Pocket series and it is not water resistant. It is not possible to wirelessly control the e Osmo Pocket 2 underwater. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply. There are a couple of things I need to elaborate, it seems.

First of all, I do know that the extension rod itself doesn't have any controls for the cameras, I wasn't expecting it to have those. What I meant to ask was to ask if there is some kind of a way to attach a phone or a tablet to the base of the extension rod, so I could operate the Osmo cameras with them. It is that having the rod fully extended and not being able to operate the camera recording and functions is not exactly practical, so therefore asking if there is some kind of accessory or something similar to do that. (I do realise that using the Pocket 2 water-proof case prevents me from using the remote control functions, so I just settle for dealing with it by simply starting the recording before submerging the Pocket 2 underwater in the water-proof case. Just wishing I woudn't need to do that when filming on dry land.)

I also do know that the Osmo Pocket Wireless Module and the Pocket 2 DIA Handle are not waterproof. I could have clarified more that I plan to use the extension rod not only underwater, but also on dry land filming. The remote control use would only be for filming when not underwater  or in the rain. So that's why I asked for a chance to attach a phone or tablet to the extension rod.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification on being able to use the Osmo Action 3 Extension Rod underwater. Will be nice if it is indeed possible. Just heard another forum member say somebody at DJI said it's not recommended for some reason and wanted to make sure if it is really so, or if there's been a misunderstanding.

Thanks and have a nice weekend!
2023-6-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

HGDC84 Posted at 6-17 01:37
Thanks for your reply. There are a couple of things I need to elaborate, it seems.

First of all, I do know that the extension rod itself doesn't have any controls for the cameras, I wasn't expecting it to have those. What I meant to ask was to ask if there is some kind of a way to attach a phone or a tablet to the base of the extension rod, so I could operate the Osmo cameras with them. It is that having the rod fully extended and not being able to operate the camera recording and functions is not exactly practical, so therefore asking if there is some kind of accessory or something similar to do that. (I do realise that using the Pocket 2 water-proof case prevents me from using the remote control functions, so I just settle for dealing with it by simply starting the recording before submerging the Pocket 2 underwater in the water-proof case. Just wishing I woudn't need to do that when filming on dry land.)

Hi, HGDC84. If used with a water-proof case, it cannot use a wireless method to connect a mobile device, which means you cannot use a mobile phone to control the Pocket 2 and we do not have other accessories that can control Pocket 2 remotely. We're sorry for the inconvenience. We will forward your input to our relevant team as a suggestion. Thank you for your continued support.
2023-6-23
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DJI Gamora Posted at 6-23 02:20
Hi, HGDC84. If  is used with a water-proof case, it cannot use wireless method to connect mobile device, that means you cannot use mobile phone to control the Pocket 2 and we not have other accessories can control Pocket 2 remotely. We're sorry for the inconvenience. We will forward your input to our relevant team as a suggestion. Thank you for your continued support.

Thanks for your reply.

I'll try to make myself a little more clear. I apologize if I've been talking in a bit of a misleading way.

I do understand that there is no possibility to use the remote controlling options through the phone when the Pocket 2 is in the waterproof case, as there simply is no room in the case for the Do-It-All Handle. I also realize that there could be other technical limitations that could prevent me from using the remote control functions of the Mimo app while the Pocket 2 is underwater, even if the water-proof case did have room for the handle. I can accept that and deal with it. I only asked about the water-proofness of the Osmo Action 3 extension rod for cases when I don't use the remote control properties and want to attach the Pocket 2 to it when it is sealed inside the water-proof case. So the questions of water-proofness and the possibility to attach the phone to the rod were meant as two separate questions for two separate use scenarios. So for the underwater shooting, I did get the answers I was looking for.

What is left to ask yet is regarding the following kind of situation, the other sceanrio I meant:

I want to use the Pocket 2 with the Osmo Action 3 extension rod, attaching the Pocket 2 to it by using the Osmo Pocket Accessory Mount, and I would also use the Do-It-All Handle with the Pocket 2. I would not use it anywhere near water at that situation, not putting the camera underwater, not using it in the rain etc. I just would like to attach my phone closer to the end of the extension rod, so that while the rod is fully extended, I still could have my phone mounted to the rod, so I could operate the camera remotely even when the Pocket 2 would not be within arm's reach.

Example scenario:
I am in a concert with a lot of people around me and would like to extend the Pocket 2 above the audience, yet still be able to control it while it is at that height. I would also like to be able to see what the Pocket 2 would see through the phone and Mimo app. If I had the Osmo Action 3 extension rod, would there be some kind of a way to mount the phone to the bottom end of the rod so I could easily access the Mimo app's controls, yet wouldn't need to hold the phone in my hand? Just so it would be enough to hold the rod?

I hope this made it more clear what I would be attempting to do with it. Thanks in advance for reply.

Also, thank you for suggesting the team the chance of creating additional accessories for the Pocket 2. Not sure if it would be technically possibly, but having a chance to monitor the camera remotely while it is underwater would be a very interesting proposition for me and many others, I think.
2023-6-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

HGDC84 Posted at 6-24 14:46
Thanks for your reply.

I'll try to make myself a little more clear. I apologize if I've been talking in a bit of a misleading way.

You're most welcome, HGDC84. Regarding the extension rod, officially, the Osmo Action 3 extension rod can only be used with Action 3 and we have not tested its performance with the Pocket 2. Our recommendation is to try to test it on any DJI Physical store as we can only confirm that the extension rod does not have a position to mount a mobile phone. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2023-6-27
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DJI Gamora Posted at 6-27 00:35
You're most welcome, HGDC84. Regarding the extension rod, officially, the Osmo Action 3 extension rod can only be used with Action 3 and we have not tested its performance with the Pocket 2. Our recommendation is to try to test it on any DJI Physical store as we can only confirm that the extension rod does not have a position to mount a mobile phone. Thank you for your kind understanding.

That question regarding the place or another way to attach a mobile phone was the thing I was looking for an answer for. Thanks for replying.

For further designs, I would suggest adding a phone mount in a similar way the Osmo Pocket Extension Rod has one. After all, for what I know, the Osmo Action cameras can also be controlled by phone, so that would add up to its versatility and usability.

Thanks for the replies!
2023-6-27
Use props
djiuser_LkFdK5SOYwAq
New

Switzerland

there will be an enhanced photo mode for the Action 3. Burst capture is missing and important
2023-6-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

HGDC84 Posted at 6-27 04:34
That question regarding the place or another way to attach a mobile phone was the thing I was looking for an answer for. Thanks for replying.

For further designs, I would suggest adding a phone mount in a similar way the Osmo Pocket Extension Rod has one. After all, for what I know, the Osmo Action cameras can also be controlled by phone, so that would add up to its versatility and usability.

You're welcome, HGDC84. We will take it as a suggestion of yours and rest assured that we'll communicate it with the respective team for its potential. Have a nice day ahead!
2023-6-28
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DJI Gamora Posted at 6-28 06:13
You're welcome, HGDC84. We will take it as a suggestion of yours and rest assured that we'll communicate it with the respective team for its potential. Have a nice day ahead!

Thanks, you too!
2023-6-28
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

telesin phone clip with lock ring & Telesin Tripod

https://youtube.com/shorts/upenx05SzKo?si=vnmUYf2CUDEBndWL

for bigger Gimbals you can use a Monopod

Screenshot_2023-12-08-19-52-34-025_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
2023-12-8
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

lutzmix Posted at 12-8 10:53
telesin phone clip with lock ring & Telesin Tripod

https://youtube.com/shorts/upenx05SzKo?si=vnmUYf2CUDEBndWL

Thanks for the tip, it seems like my shopping list will receive a couple of more items
2023-12-9
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

here with diving light
IMG_20231209_043418.jpg
2023-12-15
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

lutzmix Posted at 12-15 23:15
here with diving light

Interesting. Wonder if I could use that with the Pocket 2 Water-proof case.
2023-12-16
Use props
djiuser_MHUVM5EsYuio
New

Philippines

Did the floating handle changed?  I noticed the bottom of my handle doesn't have a screw hole.

4-19 03:01
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

djiuser_MHUVM5EsYuio Posted at 4-19 03:01
Did the floating handle changed?  I noticed the bottom of my handle doesn't have a screw hole.

No personal experience on this unfortunately, but I do remember seeing some pictures of the DJi Floating Handle that featured the tripod thread on the bottom and they even advertised it in the description text.
4-26 13:40
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

design has changed
4-27 07:18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules