Laptop charger for charging Mini3 batteries?
2318 9 2023-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Simulcop
lvl.2

Colombia

Hi everyone, I'm new here in the drones universe. I've just bought a Mini 3 and I was wondering if it's safe to use a laptop charger for charging the Mini3's battery. Below a photo of the charger output details. Cheers
IMG_8787.jpeg

2023-6-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Simulcop. Thank you for reaching out. We will coordinate this to our relevant team for further checking. We will keep you posted. Thank you.
2023-6-16
Use props
nazgull
lvl.2
Canada

Short answer: No.    Short explanation: Your laptop charger output voltage is too high.
2023-6-16
Use props
Speedie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44682 ft
Sweden

Short answer: That charger will be just fine. Im using a similar one but from HP.

Long answer: The batteries/charge hub and the charger will do a handshake when connected and communicate the maximum allowed charge voltage which is 15V (according to the Mini 3 manual) and then the batteries will draw the amps they need. If a charger does not support 15V output they might fallback to 9V and if that is not supported then they will go with USB standard 5V.
2023-6-16
Use props
nazgull
lvl.2
Canada

ah! That'll  teach me! RTFM! ...
2023-6-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Simulcop. Thank you for patiently waiting. We now received feedback from our relevant team. Please confirm first if the charger support PD fast charge protocol, if yes, you may use the charger normally, which will automatically decrease the power; if it does not support PD charge protocol, the power will limit to 10W, which also can be used, but the charging time will increase. Hope this helps.
2023-6-19
Use props
Simulcop
lvl.2

Colombia

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll check about PD charge protocol and update here.
2023-6-19
Use props
nazgull
lvl.2
Canada

I don't have a charging rack for batteries so any decent 5v wall-wart works for me but it's passing strange if they don't include a charger with the rack?

"Power cable is not included.
Specifications
Input: 100 to 240 V, 0.8 A, 50/60 Hz
Output: 5V/3A, 9V/3A ,12V/2.5A, 15V/2A, 3.3 to 11V, 2.72A"
2023-6-19
Use props
_dji_user_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1687385 ft
Estonia

nazgull Posted at 2023-6-16 08:01
Short answer: No.    Short explanation: Your laptop charger output voltage is too high.

I also use a lenovo 65w usbc laptop charger and everything works great.
3-2 17:21
Use props
harweyko
lvl.3
Flight distance : 587710 ft

Slovakia

All these Lenovo notebook chargers with USB-C now use PD 3.0, so should be safe to use. I charge my drone with 95w Lenovo charger and had no problems, the battery will pull just the power it needs, nothing more.
3-2 23:49
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules