infinite flight time theory
1037 13 2023-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Forol1561
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1739439 ft
Slovakia

hi there i was thinking about making an extenssion on my dji mini 2 it would be 3d prinded and it would connect like a battery it would basicaly be a long ass cable that would run straight to the ground quickcharge power supply for infinite flight time and for something like time lapse's it would basicaly just use circuitry that would take quick charge 3.0/4.0 or some other sufficient fast charging protocol or it could also use power delivery that would suply power and convert it to 8V in a 3d printed battery like casing.
i just wanted to ask if there could be any problems with over heating or wear or something like that and also what is the maximum and minimum safe suply voltage for dji mini 2 and max/min power consumption?
2023-6-20
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Love to hear more about this and see pictures when you get this working!!
2023-6-20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

THis has been done with at least some drones but, that I know of, not with a mini 2.
With a Mini 2 I forsee several problems.
1) The drone may not allow simultaneous charging and flying unless you perhaps connect straight to the battery and bypass the control circuits etc. within the drone.
2) The weight of the cable may be significant as severely curtail range.
3) The cable is a snag waiting to happen and may be a significant wind and literal drag.

I can attest to part of 3) I tied a tether to a mavic mini and you would not believe how easily it snagged on things, ultimately resulting in a crash.

With regards to power consumption I cant comment  but in my logs I have 200+ flights where the maximum instantaneous current was in excess of 5A.
97 flights where the maximum instantaneous current was between 4A &5A, 4A might be the minimum for flight

2023-6-20
Use props
Forol1561
lvl.2
Slovakia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-20 12:58
THis has been done with at least some drones but, that I know of, not with a mini 2.
1) The drone may not allow simultaneous charging and flying unless you perhaps connect straight to the battery and bypass the control circuits etc. within the drone.

Power consumption won't be a problem, i caried so much long and heavy things without an issue with my mini 2, i am don't plan on charging while flying i want to make a ups in a battery shell
2023-6-20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Forol1561 Posted at 6-20 13:47
Power consumption won't be a problem, i caried so much long and heavy things without an issue with my mini 2, i am don't plan on charging while flying i want to make a ups in a battery shell

Fair enough, it's your drone
2023-6-20
Use props
Forol1561
lvl.2
Slovakia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-20 12:58

Right now the only proble is i need to design the battery shell all over again cause file tl 3d print it are nowhere to be found btw it will probably use power delivery and it will have a small ups just in case and there is a dude that already designed a board for the mavic mini that just tells what the drone wants to hear and let it boot up i'l just need to redesign all in one pcb but first i'l make a working version probably with arduino
2023-6-20
Use props
Forol1561
lvl.2
Slovakia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-20 14:28
Fair enough, it's your drone

Well i am not moding the drone or anything else when i am done using it i will just unplug it like a battery
2023-6-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depending on the length of cable, it will probably be too heavy for the Mini 2, especially for a decent cable capable of a quick charge. i.e. 100m of just a standard USB 2 cable is about 1.9kg without connectors so even 50m of that low power cable is too heavy for the Mini 2 to lift it and also probably not a fast enough cable for quick charging.

2023-6-20
Use props
Forol1561
lvl.2
Slovakia

Bashy Posted at 6-20 17:48
Depending on the length of cable, it will probably be too heavy for the Mini 2, especially for a decent cable capable of a quick charge. i.e. 100m of just a standard USB 2 cable is about 1.9kg without connectors so even 50m of that low power cable is too heavy for the Mini 2 to lift it and also probably not a fast enough cable for quick charging.

Good point i could use a a multirotor platform every 10 or so meters so it will make it much lighter but not lift it
2023-6-20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-20 17:48

Lol
I wonder why you got "good point" where as I got 'i caried so much long and heavy things without an issue with my mini 2'. Eithrr way, well done for getting the point across.
2023-6-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
France

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-21 01:01
Lol
I wonder why you got "good point" where as I got 'i caried so much long and heavy things without an issue with my mini 2'. Eithrr way, well done for getting the point across.

lol, perhaps it was heavy in the sense that it was at the max capability, whats that, about half a pound  lol
2023-6-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-21 04:13
lol, perhaps it was heavy in the sense that it was at the max capability, whats that, about half a pound  lol

I think I have lifted a Mavic Mini and battery with a Mini 2 ( light thread connection no hook). From a vague recollection the reverse didn't work.
I recollect an ESC warning but don't remember it was with both or just one of them. Which ever way it was I wouldn't fancy trying to do much more than pick up and lower a Mavic Mini with a Mini 2.
2023-6-21
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Is it all really a 'wind up'? Just fly it FREE!
2023-6-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-21 05:46
I think I have lifted a Mavic Mini and battery with a Mini 2 ( light thread connection no hook). From a vague recollection the reverse didn't work.
I recollect an ESC warning but don't remember it was with both or just one of them. Which ever way it was I wouldn't fancy trying to do much more than pick up and lower a Mavic Mini with a Mini 2.

My weight was a wee guesstimate, i just know that it ain't much from what I've seen in other videos, just found this, A DJI Mini 2 can carry a maximum payload of 0.53 pounds (0.24 kg) on googles so your lift sound about right, most certainly not good for 1000's of yds of USB cable
2023-6-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules