1115 9 2023-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CumbrianSausage
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24688 ft

United Kingdom

Evening,

Many apologies for asking this question, to most on here it must be simple but if someone could assist with my query I'd be very thankful.

I just can't get my head round where I can fly my drone. It's a mini, so 249g.

I'm ok with avoiding the red and blue areas around airports, on the DJI map. However, the orange areas like oL8irohIEdiGhbSBg/BJdbwk+Gvlior0vwPgvwH8AYoqGCKRLAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==[/img]

However that same area on the government (CAA) website looks like this? More area covered and all in red?

Can someone help a novice please as I'm going round in circles!

Much appreciated.

CS
2023-6-20
Use props
CumbrianSausage
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Well the images didn't work... Imagine the DJI one like orange bicycle spokes and the CAA one a big red circle. That make sense?
2023-6-20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Might be simpler to tell us which aorport surround you are looking at.
2023-6-20
Use props
CumbrianSausage
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Brighton City Airport.

Thanks.
2023-6-20
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

Short answer is that you should not trust the DJI Fly app map when it gives to drive flight restrictions.

Use Drone Assist from Altitude Angel. This is the official app approved by NATS (it used to be NATS branded but they dropped that with an official announcement from NATS that they were hanging the app over to Altitude Angel).

I use DJI Fly simply as a starting point, then I go to the official source.

Don't expect a yes/no answer, though. It's not that clear cut unfortunately. For example parks are marked the same as SSSIs. You should be ok flying from public parks so long as you are not causing a nuisance, but there may be restrictions on page at SSSIs due to wildlife etc....
2023-6-21
Use props
djiuser_bliLTjtUzyLG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 87205 ft

Netherlands

I can,t higher then 120 in 500m zones and my settings has max 120 , yesterday it was 500 , updates ????
2023-6-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, CumbrianSausage. Thank you for reaching out. The geofencing system is a voluntary, advisory tool provided by DJI to improve the safety of drone use. It is not tied to local regulations and should not be seen as a guide to local regulations. Please kindly fly your aircraft carefully while complying with the local laws and regulations. That means the App might be within low-risk flight areas in which customers can still fly the aircraft, but refer to local government, which is a high-risk flight restriction area.
2023-6-30
Use props
cyan
Ban Posts
Flight distance : 202326 ft
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
1-7 16:35
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No Original Thought Posted at 2023-6-21 01:41
Short answer is that you should not trust the DJI Fly app map when it gives to drive flight restrictions.

Use Drone Assist from Altitude Angel. This is the official app approved by NATS (it used to be NATS branded but they dropped that with an official announcement from NATS that they were hanging the app over to Altitude Angel).

As of yesterday, the DJI Fly Safe app lost most of the non-mandatory NFZs.  So yes, I would also recommend Drone Assist from Altitude Angel or Dronescene which uses the same data but in a more user-friendly layout.

1-7 23:52
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

Ian in London Posted at 1-7 23:52
As of yesterday, the DJI Fly Safe app lost most of the non-mandatory NFZs.  So yes, I would also recommend Drone Assist from Altitude Angel or Dronescene which uses the same data but in a more user-friendly layout.
https://youtu.be/7Lq-u-1FuxM

Wow, hadnt spotted that... That's pretty scary being as so many people seem to just go out and buy a drone and if the app lets them take off they think they are good.

It seems soooo many people don't realise that they need to register etc and then 100% rely on the fly app to tell them where is not allowed.

And the term 'Recommended Zone' seems really dangerous to me as there are often all kind of restrictions in these areas in reality.

This can surely only lead to more people flying where they shouldn't and subsequently more restrictions being put on the rest of us who do try to do our research before putting the drone up
1-8 12:52
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules