Mapping Mission Overlap Percentage
1161 5 2023-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CuAnnan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69432 ft
Ireland

I've started learning to use WebODM, it's a lot of fun, worked rather well for me.
It recommends an overlap of 60 to 70%, which is more than the mapping mission results in. Is there a way to set that in the DJI app somewhere?
Is it just the case that I should be running Oblique Missions rather than Mapping missions? Though even then I can't see how to tell it to take more photos per second.
I know that this was a thing that flighthub2 kinda allowed, but I'd rather not pay DJI a sub for something that I should be able to do independently of any extra licences they want to saddle me with.

2023-6-27
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1638323 ft
United States

Use the Oblique option only for the best/easiest results. Set the overlaps to 83%.

Personally I use a max speed of 15mph and interval shooting… THAT is how you indirectly control the shot rate.

I, too, use WebODM on a really high-end i9 iMac and it processes a mission in about an hour minimum for about 150 pics to about 6 hours for 1500 pictures. I recently performed a mission of a neighborhood and it took 1634 pictures to do 12.2 acres of area. That took overnight to do and required me to expand the virtual drive space for WebODM (this might be useful info for you in the future).

WebODM's tools can be a little confusing at first, but become more intuitive after a couple of missions.
2023-6-27
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
Second Officer
United States

Flighthub2 absolutely blows and should not be used. Only use the mission creation on your smart r/c.
2023-6-27
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
Second Officer
United States

Oh and I find the best results are at about 100 feet above what you’re shooting if you want the best 3D results. Don’t forget that you can take pictures manually A LOT lower and just add those to the processing stack.

The app will figure out where the shots are taken since you're locked onto so many satellites. I recently even did a "mapping mission" of my car... all taken manually including the camera angles. Just FYI, it seems anything super shiny doesn't come out that great hahaha. The windshield/windscreen looked like it had been shot out or in a crash lol.
2023-6-27
Use props
CuAnnan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69432 ft
Ireland

DRONE-flies-YOU! Posted at 6-27 20:31
Flighthub2 absolutely blows and should not be used. Only use the mission creation on your smart r/c.

It had potential. Then they royally messed it up.
2023-6-28
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13349895 ft
  • >>>
United States

CuAnnan Posted at 6-28 06:25
It had potential. Then they royally messed it up.

It had so much potential but they quit developing it and adding features. Unless they've recently changed things, you can't even make a flight plan with it besides a basic waypoint type. FH2 is mainly geared towards the DJI dock and remote control/monitoring of it. The M3E integration into FH2 is just an after thought. I've never seen a company waste so much potential and be so close to something great, then just leave it hanging. Something is seriously wrong with DJI internally because we're witnessing them self destruct lately.
2023-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules