933 6 2023-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

threat to drone control if you approach them 'down low'?
Just curious.
2023-6-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Most ships have radar operating all the time they are sailing and it has no effect at all on your drone.
2023-6-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks
2023-6-28
Use props
greystoke.eng
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1829121 ft
United States

Ships have two required Radars, 3cm and 10 cm bands. Near coast they are required to have both on. Particularly if they want insurance coverage. However different jurisdictions have different coastal requirements in their waters. The 10cm is actually 5.2 Ghz, which will interfere with the one band the drone operates on and it is considerably much higher power. If you fly too close the 10 cm can damage the receiver in your drone. I was a Naval officer when younger, albeit a pilot. We still had to take all the boat classes and spend our time onboard ship as a midshipman. Our skipper on the Blue Ridge bought a commercial 3 cm navigation radar on discretionary funds. It was promptly fried by the big SPS 48 Radar. So if the big antenna (10cm) is running, give the bridge a wide berth. Power goes down by the square of the distance. Besides, the US Navy has had some incidents with drones off San Diego recently and some ships (the big grey military ones) are kind of spring loaded to eliminate any close drones now. Not sure how, but they did mention it in the Naval Proceedings magazine.
2023-6-28
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

I thought that new Radars use Microwave technology these days to detect object, same principle as the police uses in speed camera...
2023-6-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I flew up to a couple of ships recently and didnt notice any signal loss.

2023-6-28
Use props
greystoke.eng
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1829121 ft
United States

Actually many radars are in the UHF band, especially longer range ones. They have a very tight transmission pattern with one main lobe and some smaller side lobes depending on how well designed the antenna is. If you fly in the plane of transmission, you will be blessed by the high power main lobe. The antennas, especially the 3cm one rotate very fast and the 10 cm one much slower. This is due to the operating range, longer out to target and back, so you don't want the antenna rotating out of the return signal at max range. The radar I had on my aircraft in the service would range 250 miles, rotated at 22 times a minute and could kill seagulls at 600 meters. It was very un-healthy to humans, usually causing death onboard ship if it happened to be turned on by accident. It had many interlocks. Same went for the high power ones, like the SPY-1 and SPS 48. One of the many reasons they are kept high on the mast. My quartermasters, when I was a midshipman, would refuse to go on the upper signal bridge if we had any operating radar. Clever guys.
2023-6-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules