3238 31 2023-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lord ERiC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3330436 ft
South Korea

DJI Avata drones, what's wrong?

Debate over DJI Avata drones from 2023 is hot. What's the matter?
Around September/October 2022, when I first bought Avata, there were only praises for Avata.
It has built-in normal mode and sports mode for beginners, and even has a propeller guard for safety.
It was a fantastic drone that, even if it fell from a certain height while flying in manual mode, it would fly again if dust was removed, except for a slight scratch on the hoop.
Until then, Avata's position among FPV drones around the world was solid, and it was the best drone.

But let's think about when Avata's problems started.
The beginning was the so-called Yaw-Turn Error problem that emerged among pilots. It was a function to control the posture by itself and switch to the normal mode if the posture was lost during the yaw turn. (DJI calls it a safety feature to prevent falling, and users call it a "yaw turn error".) Due to the battery raised above the Avata, the center of gravity is high, so it's like a force trying to roll in the opposite direction of rotation.
It seems that the purpose was to restore safety by controlling the posture of the drone itself if it is judged that the user's movement is unnatural to a certain extent or difficult to control the posture in manual mode. However, what about in practice?

In the case of performing a roll, flip, or yaw-turn in a low-altitude state, the drone takes control of the pilot to control the posture. At this moment, even if the pilot could have escaped safely, most of them lost thrust and crashed. Now the Avata has become a drone that, if it moves a little fast near the ground, it can jump around and crash. It moves forward at a speed of 15 m/s or more at an altitude of less than 4-5 meters from the ground, and most of them fall if they make a rapid yaw turn.
What about at high altitude??? I turned around to create a nice video, but the drone stumbled on its own and stopped at a slightly lower altitude. This is normal mode. video is ruined
What the hell are you trying to do with Avata? Is Avata's manual mode a true manual mode? Why Avata is the "Worst Manual Drone"?

So what is a true manual mode?
A state in which there is little or no involvement of the automaton can be defined as manual mode.
In fact, it is the ability and role of the pilot to fall in manual mode or lose posture. On the contrary, the more you spin around and lose your posture, the more amazing tricks or videos are created. Also, even if it crashes, the pilot may intervene and crash it in the safest place possible.
I don't know why the system intervenes in this. The moment the system intervenes and controls the attitude, the video is messed up, the flight is messed up, and the system control is lost... Anything happens at that moment. If a drone soaring more than 150 meters, such as a sudden start, turns off and starts falling, it is no longer a drone. A weapon that can kill people.
You say that the function you created to compensate for the pilot's inexperience can eventually turn the pilot into a murderer.

Now my advice to DJI.

Manual mode is manual mode.
Minimize automatic controls.
Posture control is the role of the pilot.
The Avata's high center of gravity creates a sideways rolling motion when turning. Everyone was feeling it, and using that characteristic, they made motions such as rolling sideways and moving. The pilots were just controlling the drone according to its characteristics.
However, useless developer's nonsense ruined Avata's manual mode.
Think about why it's given the title of "the worst manual drone ever."
No one curses at the drone even if it fails to rise due to lack of thrust while going around the power loop and crashes into the ground. It's just the operator's mistake of judgment. It is the responsibility of the pilot who did not raise the throttle in advance.

Add all safety features to normal mode and sport mode. But don't touch manual mode.
No, rather discard posture control-related mod patches added after October 2022.
That's how Avata will survive. DJI's FPV manual drone is the way to survive.

If a patch like this is going to be applied to other drones developed in the future, I will never buy a drone with DJI manual mode function again.

Lord ERiC.

2023-6-29
Use props
fans9bdfb4fe
lvl.3
Germany

true words
2023-6-29
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5414203 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Most of the "real" FPV drones have the battery mounted above COG and the pilot can handle this without any problem manually. It's part of learning how to move a drone without any help. Yes, the point is, the Avata is still under a software regime, even in "manual" mode. This is the one failure in the Avatas concept. It does not seem that DJI will do anything about that. That's why including me several users sold their Avatas.
2023-6-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, we are sorry for any inconvenience. It has added the ability to detect abnormal attitude and brake automatically when the aircraft turns sharply at high speed with an altitude of more than 5 m in Manual mode after firmware v01.02.0000 and later. We will forward your feedback and suggestion to the corresponding team.
2023-6-30
Use props
Lord ERiC
lvl.2
South Korea

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-30 07:00
Hi there, we are sorry for any inconvenience. It has added the ability to detect abnormal attitude and brake automatically when the aircraft turns sharply at high speed with an altitude of more than 5 m in Manual mode after firmware v01.02.0000 and later. We will forward your feedback and suggestion to the corresponding team.

There is only one thing I want to say.

Why does the system interfere with the operator's control in manual mode?

You could say it's for safety. However, the most unsafe situation in manual mode is when the aircraft moves arbitrarily against the pilot's intention at an unexpected time.

The manual mode pilot chooses a safe place where possible to practice dangerous maneuvers. If the pilot falls while doing a dangerous trick, he acknowledges his lack of skill and practices again. If the drone breaks, buy a new one or fix it, take the appropriate action, and enjoy the adventure. A pilot who enjoys a style of manipulation that is said to be dangerous can be seen as accustomed to such situations and actions.

Let's think then.
Who can more adequately avoid danger, a pilot who is already familiar with the situation, or a piece of programming in that little FC that has been hypothesized in the lab?

Rather, because of the interference, accidents occur in which numerous pilots fall absurdly at unexpected moments.
In recent months, the second-hand market has seen a huge increase in the stock of Avata used.

Program intervention for safety put in normal mode and sport mode, don't touch manual mode.
Give the manual controllers back the freedom that originally belonged to them.
2023-6-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Lord ERiC Posted at 6-30 19:14
There is only one thing I want to say.

We will forward your concerns to our engineer as well. We are sorry that the drone does not meet your expectation. Thanks for your understanding.
2023-7-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Lord ERiC Posted at 6-30 19:14
There is only one thing I want to say.

Hi there, we got an update from the corresponding team that due to the "roll over" issue many customers reported, there is an update to optimize the manual mode "roll over" by v01.02.0000 firmware version, added the ability to detect abnormal attitude and brake automatically when the aircraft turns sharply at high speed with an altitude of more than 5 m in Manual mode to avoid severe damages after the roll over issue. Besides, we've forwarded your feedback and suggestion to the corresponding team for evaluation. Thanks for your understanding.
2023-7-2
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Are you happy now Lord Eric? An "optimised manual mode"...  How do you feel about that?

I honestly think you are wasting your time here... It will never be a Manual mode...
2023-7-2
Use props
Lord ERiC
lvl.2
South Korea

Burt37 Posted at 7-2 01:30
Are you happy now Lord Eric? An "optimised manual mode"...  How do you feel about that?

I honestly think you are wasting your time here... It will never be a Manual mode...

What I want is not "optimized manual mode". I want a real manual mode free from the interference of an uncertain system. And that's what I'm suggesting to DJI.

DJI FPV drones have a normal mode and a sport mode. Therefore, even if the manual mode is changed to a pure manual mode, both beginners and experts will be satisfied.

I also know that it seems like a waste of time that I'm making this request here. But I had to do it anyway.
A few days ago, while flying the Avata, it crashed after suddenly launching it to 150 meters due to a system error with the message IMU error. In that short time of rising and falling, countless thoughts came to my head. The height of the fall is 150 meters.
What if it falls on a person? What if I fall into a moving vehicle?
Fortunately, the drone crashed into a forest where no one was there.
After going through this situation, probably anyone will ask DJI to fix this problem. I am a person who almost ruined my life flying drones for a hobby.
I luckily got through the crisis this time, but maybe someone else is so lucky?

I do not want my favorite drone to be recorded in the news as a weapon of a terrible incident.
2023-7-2
Use props
Koolada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 877999 ft
Germany

Just forgot it they will never fix it this error is known to dji since minimum 9 months now they just don't care.

Sell it if your not feeling confortable flying it or live with it, I'm sorry to say but that's reality
2023-7-2
Use props
dnddad324
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12536706 ft
United States

Koolada Posted at 7-2 23:37
Just forgot it they will never fix it this error is known to dji since minimum 9 months now they just don't care.

Sell it if your not feeling confortable flying it or live with it, I'm sorry to say but that's reality

Koolada, I really feel bad for you.

You must have a very, sad and pathetic life.

To be so miserable and have nothing better to do than to return to this forum day after day after commenting so negatively on a handful of posts while there are hundreds of thousands of us outside flying and enjoying our DJI Avatas.

And I know, "there are tons of videos stating the same exact thing you are saying" but there are also tons of videos stating the Earth is flat..some of them with very plausible explanations. But in the end....the Earth is relatively round and the Avata is a pretty awesome drone.

We get it.
You didn't like yours.
You sold yours.
You're still unhappy.
Get over it.
Move on.
2023-7-3
Use props
Koolada
lvl.4
Germany

What do you think about taking your own smart Tip Just skipping my Posts going on not juding about Others Life because they don't like a product you enjoy to warn Others that could not enjoy it?

Im stating facts all you do is juding about other Life because they don't share your opinion.

Its nice that you and many others enjoy the Avata I really don't wanna Change your opinion but there are many that got serious problems with the avata like the threat starter.
2023-7-3
Use props
Koolada
lvl.4
Germany

2023-7-3
Use props
Lord ERiC
lvl.2
South Korea

To. Friends
The reason I'm writing about Avata's fallacy here is because it's actually a pretty decent drone, and one that's especially accessible to beginners. It is a pity that DJI has developed such a usable drone and leaves bugs that can cause danger.
And don't we all know that this bug exists and needs to be fixed?
There are people who sympathize with my writing, and there are people who are skeptical. Everyone has a different way of thinking, and everyone has different expectations for the results of this article.
We're just discussing what everyone knows, and I don't think there's anything to hurt each other.
It would be nice if everyone could just laugh generously and think, “Oh, someone has an opinion like this”.. And I don't know why you think I wouldn't know the fun of collecting parts and assembling a drone.

I wish everyone who reads and replies good luck always.

To. DJI
I am about to finish this article now. However, I hope you know that a little insensitivity to errors can lead to huge accidents. And that responsibility will be borne by innocent users.

END.
2023-7-3
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5414203 ft
  • >>>
Germany

dnddad324 Posted at 7-3 00:55
Koolada, I really feel bad for you.

You must have a very, sad and pathetic life.

Well, according to this you are the one on the flat earth side I suppose. You then have even more dangers to consider, your Avata not only could do a uncontrollable fly-off, it could even fly over the edge and drop down into space. Don't think that will be covered by Care & Refresh...
2023-7-3
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lord ERiC Posted at 7-2 05:41
What I want is not "optimized manual mode". I want a real manual mode free from the interference of an uncertain system. And that's what I'm suggesting to DJI.

DJI FPV drones have a normal mode and a sport mode. Therefore, even if the manual mode is changed to a pure manual mode, both beginners and experts will be satisfied.

well, i see there's drama all over the world and not just here in the states.

i checked the internet but i couldn't find it, eric.  could you please let us know the number of people hurt or killed by the dji avata and also the amount of property damage caused by the drone?  certainly if the drone is dangerous there should at least be some small amount of data to back that up?  we know cars are dangerous and much care needs to be taken when they are driven.  the numbers prove that out if you check to see the number of injuries caused not only by careless drivers but also the number of accidents.  certainly there are not as many drone pilots as car pilots but there should at least be one drone fatality because you call them dangerous or trying to ruin your life, wouldnt you say?
2023-7-3
Use props
Koolada
lvl.4
Germany

The Saint Posted at 7-3 11:39

i checked the internet but i couldn't find it, eric.  could you please let us know the number of people hurt or killed by the dji avata and also the amount of property damage caused by the drone?  certainly if the drone is dangerous there should at least be some small amount of data to back that up?  we know cars are dangerous and much care needs to be taken when they are driven.  the numbers prove that out if you check to see the number of injuries caused not only by careless drivers but also the number of accidents.  certainly there are not as many drone pilots as car pilots but there should at least be one drone fatality because you call them dangerous or trying to ruin your life, wouldnt you say?

Just look on YouTube you will find enaugh prove, ignoring facts Just because noone gut hurted or something got damaged in newspapers will not make this bug saver...

Its also a trust thing with the Drone itself. Did you ever experience this bug yourself?
2023-7-3
Use props
Lord ERiC
lvl.2
South Korea

The Saint Posted at 7-3 11:39

i checked the internet but i couldn't find it, eric.  could you please let us know the number of people hurt or killed by the dji avata and also the amount of property damage caused by the drone?  certainly if the drone is dangerous there should at least be some small amount of data to back that up?  we know cars are dangerous and much care needs to be taken when they are driven.  the numbers prove that out if you check to see the number of injuries caused not only by careless drivers but also the number of accidents.  certainly there are not as many drone pilots as car pilots but there should at least be one drone fatality because you call them dangerous or trying to ruin your life, wouldnt you say?

In fact, it is common to see people injured by drones around. However, most of them were only minor damage. This is because most of the cases where the drone is operated at a low altitude and collided with it.
However, news of sudden acceleration crashes are heard from time to time, and I experienced this phenomenon myself. No one doubts what will happen if a person is hit by a 400-gram object falling from 150 meters.

You are right. I haven't seen any news of him being hit and killed by an Avata that crashed after sudden acceleration. And I hope there will never be news like that.

But do you know "Heinrich's law"? If you don't know, please try to find it. If you don't know "Heinrich's Law", further discussion will be meaningless.

Thanks.
2023-7-3
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lord ERiC Posted at 7-3 19:04
In fact, it is common to see people injured by drones around. However, most of them were only minor damage. This is because most of the cases where the drone is operated at a low altitude and collided with it.

Ok, if it is common, please publish those numbers for all of us to see.  thank you.

i believe the number is effectively zero (0).
2023-7-3
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

"But do you know "Heinrich's law"? If you don't know, please try to find it. If you don't know "Heinrich's Law", further discussion will be meaningless."

That was interesting.. Thanks for mention it.. And you are probably right... The more drones, the bigger the chance of someone getting hurt...
2023-7-4
Use props
Lord ERiC
lvl.2
South Korea

The Saint Posted at 7-3 19:23
Ok, if it is common, please publish those numbers for all of us to see.  thank you.

i believe the number is effectively zero (0).

A simple Google search yields the following information:
=======================================
According to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in 2020, 2,072 people were injured by drones in the United States. Of these, 817 were seriously injured and 124 were killed. Most of the people injured were from drones falling or flying over. There have also been incidents of drones chasing or colliding with people. Most drone accidents have occurred with privately piloted drones. The FAA stressed that when flying a drone, you must follow safety rules and be careful not to harm others.

Drone accidents are not a problem unique to the United States. In 2018, a man suffered head injuries after being hit by a drone in the UK. The man suffered head injuries and was taken to hospital, where he later died. This accident is an example of how drones can seriously injure people.
2023-7-4
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lord ERiC Posted at 7-4 02:22
A simple Google search yields the following information:
=======================================
According to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in 2020, 2,072 people were injured by drones in the United States. Of these, 817 were seriously injured and 124 were killed. Most of the people injured were from drones falling or flying over. There have also been incidents of drones chasing or colliding with people. Most drone accidents have occurred with privately piloted drones. The FAA stressed that when flying a drone, you must follow safety rules and be careful not to harm others.

This is a ridiculous claim. 124 killed? Chasing and colliding  with people? Really?!?! Rather than say Google says this you should provide the link that Google gave you. That way others can decide on the validity of these statements.

E.g., try this reference
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/AE560
It claims that there was just one death that occurred because an individual was trying to retrieve a drone tangled in high voltage power lines.

2023-7-4
Use props
Lord ERiC
lvl.2
South Korea

BudWalker Posted at 7-4 05:32
This is a ridiculous claim. 124 killed? Chasing and colliding  with people? Really?!?! Rather than say Google says this you should provide the link that Google gave you. That way others can decide on the validity of these statements.

E.g., try this reference

I think that 124 people is probably the cumulative total so far. I also saw the news article, so if you want to see the original FAA report, please look it up yourself. In fact, in 2022, one person died in a drone-related accident in USA.

I was looking for that document only to inform "the person who asked for it saying that probably no one was killed or injured" was not.

I just started this article with the hope that this strange error will be fixed before more people get hurt.
I have no reason or need to prove how many people were killed or injured where and when.

To be honest, I sold Avata today because I was scared to use it.
2023-7-4
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lord ERiC Posted at 7-4 06:01
I think that 124 people is probably the cumulative total so far. I also saw the news article, so if you want to see the original FAA report, please look it up yourself. In fact, in 2022, one person died in a drone-related accident in USA.

I was looking for that document only to inform "the person who asked for it saying that probably no one was killed or injured" was not.

I've got a better idea. Provide the references that underlie your claims. Otherwise we have to guess how you justify your claims.

I do agree, however, that your original post was about the technical merits of DJI's engineering approach. But, that gets lost when people see these ridiculous claims.

2023-7-4
Use props
Lord ERiC
lvl.2
South Korea

BudWalker Posted at 7-4 06:19
I've got a better idea. Provide the references that underlie your claims. Otherwise we have to guess how you justify your claims.

I do agree, however, that your original post was about the technical merits of DJI's engineering approach. But, that gets lost when people see these ridiculous claims.

I'm not talking about numbers or statistics of how many people were killed or injured where and when.
However, dangerous situations can arise. That is my claim, and in fact I sold Avata today because of the frightening memory of experiencing a sudden acceleration accident.
Is it dangerous if 100 people are dead and safe if 10 people are dead? I don't want to engage in meaningless number-comparison fights like you'd find in a statistics lab.

If you really think Avata drones crashing after mislaunching are safe and no problem, then you are right.

You and I are just different thoughts. There is no winner or loser.
2023-7-4
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lord ERiC Posted at 7-4 06:33
I'm not talking about numbers or statistics of how many people were killed or injured where and when.
However, dangerous situations can arise. That is my claim, and in fact I sold Avata today because of the frightening memory of experiencing a sudden acceleration accident.
Is it dangerous if 100 people are dead and safe if 10 people are dead? I don't want to engage in meaningless number-comparison fights like you'd find in a statistics lab.

You're mistaken. I made no statements about " Avata drones crashing after mislaunching are safe and no problem".

I'll say it again. Back up your claims with references so that others can judge the validity of your claims.
2023-7-4
Use props
Lord ERiC
lvl.2
South Korea

What I felt while writing here is that I asked for it to be fixed because it could be a dangerous situation. You guys think it's as if I'm arguing that Avata is a dangerous thing and should not be used.
At first I was hopeful. I believed that if I presented a problem, I would discuss the problem and DJI would make an effort to reduce the risk.

The fact that it's dangerous is already known, but I don't know what it has to do with the nature of this thread to prove how many people died.
If the thoughts of users active in the forum are like this, DJI will surely think similarly, and I came to think that Avata's problems are not a big deal and will not be fixed. So I sold Avata. I don't want to go through the bad memory  of watching a drone fall from 150 meters again and praying that it wouldn't fall on people's heads.

And I hope that such a bad thing never happens to others.
2023-7-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lord ERiC Posted at 7-4 06:52
What I felt while writing here is that I asked for it to be fixed because it could be a dangerous situation. You guys think it's as if I'm arguing that Avata is a dangerous thing and should not be used.
At first I was hopeful. I believed that if I presented a problem, I would discuss the problem and DJI would make an effort to reduce the risk.

wow, you're still doing it....  
2023-7-4
Use props
Koolada
lvl.4
Germany

Lord ERiC Posted at 7-4 06:01
I think that 124 people is probably the cumulative total so far. I also saw the news article, so if you want to see the original FAA report, please look it up yourself. In fact, in 2022, one person died in a drone-related accident in USA.

I was looking for that document only to inform "the person who asked for it saying that probably no one was killed or injured" was not.

Congratulations on selling it, what you want to buy instead? If you want a save and fun Cinewhoop that is somehow like the Avata i would recommend something like a Cinelog 25 or Cinelog 35 if you want to use a GoPro in the Future.

2023-7-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

this is you screaming you almost killed us flying your dangerous drone because all drones are dangerous, not just the avata.  it really doesn't help when the drone community called their own drones "dangerous."

2023-7-5
Use props
djiuser_6oegY9Rr5OA4
New

United States

I've had this Avata for a couple months now and I'm extremely disappointed. I will be selling it and buying something better. I think it's time to get away from DJI as a company in general. My planned flight in a couple days is ruined because I thought this drone would work.
3-9 13:14
Use props
Lord ERiC
lvl.2
South Korea

The Saint Posted at 2023-7-5 16:26
this is you screaming you almost killed us flying your dangerous drone because all drones are dangerous, not just the avata.  it really doesn't help when the drone community called their own drones "dangerous."

All drones are dangerous. well? I think it could be dangerous.
However, what I say in my writing is not whether it is dangerous or not.
The important point is that dangerous situations can occur in situations that are independent of the pilot's intentions.
If the driver drives very recklessly and a dangerous situation arises, it will of course be the driver's responsibility. However, the pilot tries to operate it calmly and quietly, but who is responsible if the drone suddenly accelerates on its own without the pilot's intervention and soars and crashes?
I am asking DJI to recognize this problem and fix it. It is not the right answer to say that all drones are dangerous anyway.
But now that I look back, I realize that time has flown by with these useless discussions, and it is time for new drones to come out.
I hope that the new product will eliminate the shortcomings of the previous product.

3-10 03:05
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules