Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic 3 flying from a boat problems
2224 31 2023-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sakuraki
lvl.1
Flight distance : 214823 ft
Greenland

Hello, i am currently in Greenland and i am using my mavic 3 to take videos and sadly 2 times when i tried to take off from the boat the drone went nuts. First time i waited to set home point and get 21 satelites and everything seemed normal, the moment it took off it flew uncontrolably into the boat and almost fell in the ocean. Next day again calibrated it on the boat everything seemed normal (boat not moving) same story again i sent it in air and it flies immediately to right and up , not able to control it. There is no problem when i fly it from the land.
Any idea what is causing this problem
2023-7-5
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13800095 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hand launch and hand catch it when landing. That is the best way I have found from a boat.
2023-7-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12717890 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Guess a compass/yaw error....

Try to power up drone in your hand (keep steady), hand far away from the boat.
Guess you need 2 people....check in the app the compass heading in the map view and compare this heading with the actual heading. If not the same  do not fly!

cheers
JJB

2023-7-5
Use props
sakuraki
lvl.1
Iceland

JJB* Posted at 7-5 12:11
Hi,

Guess a compass/yaw error....

That’s what i did . Drone in hand calibrated to compass everything seemed perfect no error, nothing. Broke all the propellers luckily i had extra ones in me.
Changed the propellers got on the boat deck again , drone in hand reached as far as i can, the moment i lifted up the drone it goes crazy again . Later that day i tried on land and had 0 problems . A guy with mini 3 had just bought it had no problem lauching it even from the deck.
2023-7-5
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

I never have good luck with launching from boats, but it honestly sounds like you did everything right.  Are you able to post the flight log for review?
2023-7-5
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Before you launch check that, in the App,  the drone's indicated direction matches its real direction. Also, if you can, switch obstacle avoidance OFF.

Have you tried launching from land, well away from steel or iron, just to make sure the drone isn't wonky?

2023-7-5
Use props
sakuraki
lvl.1
Greenland

TonyPHX Posted at 7-5 12:47
I never have good luck with launching from boats, but it honestly sounds like you did everything right.  Are you able to post the flight log for review?

Sadly the internet here is very bad it would take forever to upload . I will be going on another trip tonight and i will give it another go . Hopefully it will be my lucky try .
2023-7-5
Use props
pbrowntv
Second Officer
Flight distance : 964596 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have experienced a similarly scary event flying from a metal dock. Everything fine until about 10 feet in the air, then it goes haywire. The key is not turning it on and self-calibrating when it's near a large metal area. If you can turn it on while on land then hand carry to the boat, I bet you will be fine...
2023-7-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

sakuraki Posted at 7-5 12:18
That’s what i did . Drone in hand calibrated to compass everything seemed perfect no error, nothing. Broke all the propellers luckily i had extra ones in me.
Changed the propellers got on the boat deck again , drone in hand reached as far as i can, the moment i lifted up the drone it goes crazy again . Later that day i tried on land and had 0 problems . A guy with mini 3 had just bought it had no problem lauching it even from the deck.

How much drone flying have you done?
Your description has no details so it's not possible to be sure, but it sounds like you are having yaw error problems.
Your recorded flight data would be necessary to confirm this, but I'll give some info that might be helpful anyway.

A yaw error is complicated, but it involves the gyro sensor getting incorrect initial heading information, because your compass is deflected by nearby magnetic influences.
Everything is fine at launch, but soon after when the compass is further from the magnetic interference and returns to normal, you have a data conflict between the compass and gyro.
That usually results in the drone running away sideways at high speed and it's usually lost or wrecked.

Why are you calibrating the compass?
Normally that is NEVER needed and you mentioning compass calibration is a red flag.
If you get a warning message that suggests compass calibration is needed, that is almost certainly incorrect (thanks DJI for the misleading wording).
It's the compass warning you of magnetic interference nearby that could cause problems (like what you've encountered).
No amount of compass re-calibration will ever fix the problem that the compass is warning you about.
Shutting down and moving the drone away from the problem is the only solution.

Now you need to think about what magnetic influences might be around the drone where you've been starting up.

2023-7-5
Use props
sakuraki
lvl.1
Greenland

Labroides Posted at 7-5 16:45
How much drone flying have you done?
Your description has no details so it's not possible to be sure, but it sounds like you are having yaw error problems.
Your recorded flight data would be necessary to confirm this, but I'll give some info that might be helpful anyway.

Sadly i have 0 experience flying from boats, but i do have over 2000 km flying distance from land . Btw about calibration we were told by drone representitive that its good to calibrate the compass before every flight in Greenland due to magnetic fields here. Just did 39 minutes fly from the land  .
Here’s better description of what happened.
Boat going close to the huge icebergs and they stopped the boat so i went in the boat deck, turn on the drone holding it in my hand , turned on the remote. After that the boat moved a little by wave and i got message that i cant take of from movement. After 1 minute i got gps error so i calibrated the gps it said successfully and home point was set automatically (tho i set it to dynamic home point) . I got 21 satellites and strong connections so i was ready to take off. Holding the drone i pressed the button to take off and the moment it went up it wasn’t responding to the joystick movement at all and was moving uncontrollably.
2023-7-5
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

With regards to not needing to calibrate the compass, I agree with @Labroides.  I think that is one of those things that has been put on a lot of people's preflight checklists that simply does not have to be done all the time.  A great many of the drones I own have never had the compass calibrated.
2023-7-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

sakuraki Posted at 7-5 17:26
Sadly i have 0 experience flying from boats, but i do have over 2000 km flying distance from land . Btw about calibration we were told by drone representitive that its good to calibrate the compass before every flight in Greenland due to magnetic fields here. Just did 39 minutes fly from the land  .
Here’s better description of what happened.
Boat going close to the huge icebergs and they stopped the boat so i went in the boat deck, turn on the drone holding it in my hand , turned on the remote. After that the boat moved a little by wave and i got message that i cant take of from movement. After 1 minute i got gps error so i calibrated the gps it said successfully and home point was set automatically (tho i set it to dynamic home point) . I got 21 satellites and strong connections so i was ready to take off. Holding the drone i pressed the button to take off and the moment it went up it wasn’t responding to the joystick movement at all and was moving uncontrollably.

Btw about calibration we were told by drone representitive that its good to calibrate the compass before every flight in Greenland due to magnetic fields here. Just did 39 minutes fly from the land  .
Your drone rep doesn't know what he's talking about and should be ignored.
What he told you is an old uninformed myth.
Compass calibration has nothing at all to do with things outside the drone like local magnetic declination etc.
It is only concerned with the drone's compass and magnetic fields that are part of the drone.

After 1 minute i got gps error so i calibrated the gps
I'm not sure what you did ... but you didn't "calibrate the GPS".
There's nothing you can do that does anything to the GPS.

it said successfully and home point was set automatically (tho i set it to dynamic home point).
Perhaps you mean that you reset the homepoint to the current location of the controller?
There is no "dynamic homepoint" and the drone won't continuously update the homepoint to follow you.

I got 21 satellites and strong connections so i was ready to take off. Holding the drone i pressed the button to take off and the moment it went up it wasn’t responding to the joystick movement at all and was moving uncontrollably.
Without actual data to look at, I can't tell more than I think you are describing what happens with a yaw error.
I'd need to see more to understand what happened, more than it moved uncontrollably.
If the problem is a yaw error, the problem is caused at power up be powering up where the drone's compass is affected by an external magnetic field, likely to be from nearby steel or live electrical wiring.

To get to your flight data, go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions to upload the data to that site and it will give a report
For help interpreting the data you can post a link for the report here.
Or just post the .txt file.

2023-7-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. For flight safety, please don't take off/land from moving objects such as cars and ships. Positioning during takeoff/landing comes from combining the data from the vision sensor and GPS. It is easy to cause a positioning error when taking off/landing on a moving ship or car. Your understanding is highly appreciated.
2023-7-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-5 22:29
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. For flight safety, please don't take off/land from moving objects such as cars and ships. Positioning during takeoff/landing comes from combining the data from the vision sensor and GPS. It is easy to cause a positioning error when taking off/landing on a moving ship or car. Your understanding is highly appreciated.

Why make such a totally irrelevant and useless post?
It has nothing to do with the OP's issue and helps no-one.
2023-7-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Labroides Posted at 7-5 23:04
Why make such a totally irrelevant and useless post?
It has nothing to do with the OP's issue and helps no-one.

We understand your point, Labroides. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have inquiries. Have a nice day ahead.
2023-7-7
Use props
Philip JM
New

Portugal

Hi i work in cruiseships filming quite often
To takeoff from a moving vehicle you need the drone to have enabled the option to fly in atti mode turn it on and off a couple of times untill the motors stop working hard and start work smoth and then throw it away
Here is my instagram so we can speak about this takeoff mode filipe.jm
2-26 04:58
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Philip JM Posted at 2-26 04:58
Hi i work in cruiseships filming quite often
To takeoff from a moving vehicle you need the drone to have enabled the option to fly in atti mode turn it on and off a couple of times untill the motors stop working hard and start work smoth and then throw it away
Here is my instagram so we can speak about this takeoff mode filipe.jm

This isn't very helpful advice, the Mavic series does not have an option to choose to fly in ATTI.

I agree that ATTI is the correct method to launch and land from a boat, but it's not available on this drone.

I would advise OP that there is a way to disable landing protection and vision positioning within the settings which will stop the drone from misunderstanding a moving boat beneath it when hovering. Landing protection off also assists in easier hand catching.
2-26 05:50
Use props
Philip JM
New

Portugal

There is a way to get atti mode
2-26 12:27
Use props
Philip JM
New

Portugal

CloudVisual Posted at 2-26 05:50
This isn't very helpful advice, the Mavic series does not have an option to choose to fly in ATTI.

I agree that ATTI is the correct method to launch and land from a boat, but it's not available on this drone.

Yes there is
2-26 12:28
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Philip JM Posted at 2-26 12:27
There is a way to get atti mode

The forum would love to know how you get ATTI mode on a consumer Mavic series drone. Please tell us.
2-26 13:10
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We're still waiting for your reply, because at the moment there is no way to put a Mavic 3 series into ATTI mode.
2-29 01:43
Use props
djiuser_21vazN53a4oJ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 542431 ft
Germany

CloudVisual Posted at 2-29 01:43
We're still waiting for your reply, because at the moment there is no way to put a Mavic 3 series into ATTI mode.

There might be an unofficial way which might not have been shared on this forum fearing DJI might try to prevent it. It is discussed on other forums and described on a certain popular video sharing platform.
3-1 05:41
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_21vazN53a4oJ Posted at 3-1 05:41
There might be an unofficial way which might not have been shared on this forum fearing DJI might try to prevent it. It is discussed on other forums and described on a certain popular video sharing platform.

I'm sure there are unofficial ways, but there is absolutely no official way which doesn't invalidate warranties, insurance or a commercial operators' certificate.
3-1 08:03
Use props
Dogpilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2158192 ft
United States

Actually there is a significant difference in operations north or south of 70° in latitude. Having done a whole lot of Arctic work with aircraft we have to follow special procedures up in the high latitudes that frankly folks further south are unfortunately, unaware of. First off, we operate in Free Gyro mode as magnetic fields vary significantly in just a couple of miles (+-30°). There is an issue of what we call magnetic tilt. Where even your compass needle will point down significantly, where you must tilt your compass to get any meaningful reading. GPS coverage is also not very good and the corrections are not as applicable. It is noted to the manned aircraft world to use backups as well as your GPS to guarantee safe navigation. We had three systems in our aircraft up there, just because of these issues. There is more interference due to Aurora activity which can cause excessive static buildup on anything with propellers, including drones. This causes a lower Db spread and makes radio reception more dodgy.

So it is not at all foolish to do calibrations if you are moving about from location to location, especially in the Arctic. There is a lot more going on than the average person knows about. It is best to be safe and not have your equipment be confused by the many things that can and do affect the sensors your drone relies on to be all it can be. I was doing research with very sensitive equipment up in the Arctic for NOAA, as I was a Coast and Geodetic Survey Officer. We pay close attention to all these factors. One of my close friends, who sadly passed two years ago, was in charge of uploading all the daily corrections to the GPS system from the Naval Observatory here in Flagstaff, more going on with GPS than may are aware of. Be careful of what folks preach here, they may not be as well informed as they make out.

BTW, very dumb question about folks having issues with boat operations. Was the RADAR operating? Anybody using the radios, not just you, but nearby? Stuff interferes. On one of our boats the Captain used his discretionary funds to buy a commercial RADAR, since they have a lot more useful navigation features than the military spec ones. Unfortunately he failed to condor how much more powerful the military ones were. He power it up with the regular ones operating and they immediately fried the commercial one. Same can happen to your drone with just a simple fishing boat RADAR. It can cause enough interference to totally confuse its attitude system.
3-3 11:21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Dogpilot Posted at 3-3 11:21
Actually there is a significant difference in operations north or south of 70° in latitude. Having done a whole lot of Arctic work with aircraft we have to follow special procedures up in the high latitudes that frankly folks further south are unfortunately, unaware of. First off, we operate in Free Gyro mode as magnetic fields vary significantly in just a couple of miles (+-30°). There is an issue of what we call magnetic tilt. Where even your compass needle will point down significantly, where you must tilt your compass to get any meaningful reading. GPS coverage is also not very good and the corrections are not as applicable. It is noted to the manned aircraft world to use backups as well as your GPS to guarantee safe navigation. We had three systems in our aircraft up there, just because of these issues. There is more interference due to Aurora activity which can cause excessive static buildup on anything with propellers, including drones. This causes a lower Db spread and makes radio reception more dodgy.

So it is not at all foolish to do calibrations if you are moving about from location to location, especially in the Arctic. There is a lot more going on than the average person knows about. It is best to be safe and not have your equipment be confused by the many things that can and do affect the sensors your drone relies on to be all it can be. I was doing research with very sensitive equipment up in the Arctic for NOAA, as I was a Coast and Geodetic Survey Officer. We pay close attention to all these factors. One of my close friends, who sadly passed two years ago, was in charge of uploading all the daily corrections to the GPS system from the Naval Observatory here in Flagstaff, more going on with GPS than may are aware of. Be careful of what folks preach here, they may not be as well informed as they make out.

So it is not at all foolish to do calibrations if you are moving about from location to location, especially in the Arctic.
Since compass calibration has nothing at all to do with external magnetic influences, there is no need to recalibrate anything regardless of where you are on earth.

Be careful of what folks preach here, they may not be as well informed as they make out.
Definitely ... especially anyone who suggests recalibrating the compass.

BTW, very dumb question about folks having issues with boat operations. Was the RADAR operating? Anybody using the radios, not just you, but nearby?
Same can happen to your drone with just a simple fishing boat RADAR. It can cause enough interference to totally confuse its attitude system.
In years of flying from and around ships and boats, I've never encountered any problem caused by the vessels' electronics.
The original issue described was almost certainly a yaw error caused by powering up too close to a source of magnetic interference.

3-3 14:07
Use props
Dogpilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2158192 ft
United States

Obviously you have never been to the Arctic or Antarctic. You probably might feign to listen to those who have. You also do not seem to have significant experience with solid state magnetometers or accelerometers. I think you most likely should continue to practice as you are accustom to. There is absolutely no harm in doing the calibrations and they do accommodate magnetic differences. But apparently not for you. You are vey lucky. Actually, I even re-calibrate my engineering compass in each and every location I work in. It is standard practice with anybody that works in geoscience. You should, in particular, fly around those radar antennas, as they have no effect on your aircraft. Perhaps you should consult with the military, as you have a special relationship between your drone and the electromagnetic spectrum.
3-3 15:55
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Dogpilot Posted at 3-3 15:55
Obviously you have never been to the Arctic or Antarctic. You probably might feign to listen to those who have. You also do not seem to have significant experience with solid state magnetometers or accelerometers. I think you most likely should continue to practice as you are accustom to. There is absolutely no harm in doing the calibrations and they do accommodate magnetic differences. But apparently not for you. You are vey lucky. Actually, I even re-calibrate my engineering compass in each and every location I work in. It is standard practice with anybody that works in geoscience. You should, in particular, fly around those radar antennas, as they have no effect on your aircraft. Perhaps you should consult with the military, as you have a special relationship between your drone and the electromagnetic spectrum.

It's clear from your post that you don't understand what calibrating the compass in your DJI drone actually does and have made some common, incorrect assumptions about it.
The term compass calibration as used by DJI is misleading as the process doesn't do anything to the compass.
And has nothing at all to do with variations in the earth's magnetic field.

To get a better understanding of what it's all about, read the first post in this thread.
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... n-and-errors.90792/

You should, in particular, fly around those radar antennas, as they have  no effect on your aircraft.
Your meaning isn't clear.
I do fly around radar antennas and have been doing it for years, just not at extremely close ranges.

Perhaps you should consult with the  military, as you have a special relationship between your drone and the  electromagnetic spectrum.
Not sure what you are saying there, and can't see any reason I'd need to consult with the military.

ps .. I have been to the Arctic and none of this has anything to do with what the OP posted about back in July last year.

3-3 18:19
Use props
sakuraki
lvl.1
Iceland

Dogpilot Posted at 3-3 11:21

Oh the thread has gotten lively. You are quite right about magnetic fields and thats something people don’t understand, even when i was flying from land i had some challenges. I remember the first day when we got to Ilullisat and flew the drone from the land i got severel messages from the drone. I will be visiting very soon again and i would try to fly from a boat with all the sensors off.
For me the weirdest thing was my friend with mini 3 having zero flight experience had absolutely zero problems from boat flying , but my mavic 3 had some issues. I met a guy over there saying he lost 3 drones due to the magnetic fields, and he was filming for BBC i guess he have more experience than me .
3-3 23:27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

sakuraki Posted at 3-3 23:27
Oh the thread has gotten lively. You are quite right about magnetic fields and thats something people don’t understand, even when i was flying from land i had some challenges. I remember the first day when we got to Ilullisat and flew the drone from the land i got severel messages from the drone. I will be visiting very soon again and i would try to fly from a boat with all the sensors off.
For me the weirdest thing was my friend with mini 3 having zero flight experience had absolutely zero problems from boat flying , but my mavic 3 had some issues. I met a guy over there saying he lost 3 drones due to the magnetic fields, and he was filming for BBC i guess he have more experience than me .

If there are issues with the earth's magnetic field in the area, no amount of compass calibration will make any difference.

3-4 02:25
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Poland

Labroides Posted at 3-4 02:25
If there are issues with the earth's magnetic field in the area, no amount of compass calibration will make any difference.

But those who think that's the case are blind to the fact they're floating on a giant ferrous object and what that might do to the drone..!
3-4 04:31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CloudVisual Posted at 3-4 04:31
But those who think that's the case are blind to the fact they're floating on a giant ferrous object and what that might do to the drone..!

Read the link I posted a few posts back to see why I wrote what I did.
It a very common misconception that compass calibration has something to do with where you are or the local magnetic variation.
But that's completely wrong.
3-4 05:09
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Poland

Labroides Posted at 3-4 05:09
Read the link I posted a few posts back to see why I wrote what I did.
It a very common misconception that compass calibration has something to do with where you are or the local magnetic variation.
But that's completely wrong.

Just to be clear, I'm in full agreement with you on this matter.

I saw the link earlier and it's a great post. I certainly learned some things reading that.
3-4 05:13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules