Orkney Blockship - the wreck of the Emerald Wing...
552 19 2023-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Albion Drones
First Officer
Flight distance : 2605597 ft
United Kingdom

Another drone video frm our recent holiday, a more modern historic one today, take on a still and smooth day at the 2nd Churchill Barrier between Lamb Holm and Gimps Home in the Skerry Sound, the wreck of the Orkney Blockship SS Emerald Wing.

Although mainly underwater the mast and top of the wheelhouse can still be seen above water, along with the remains of a floating crane on its pontoon. These were sunk in the 2nd Wolrd War to seek to prevent German Uboats from gaining access to Scapa Flow - sadly one Uboat captained by Gunther Prien made it through and sank the Royal Oak with the loss of 833 RN seamen. Not long after this the decision was made to build permanent barriers - ow known as the Churchill Barriers that link the southern island to the mainland.

2023-7-5
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

These must be further south than the ones I saw. Nicely shot. The water seems pretty shallow anyway, surprising that a sub might make its way through there.
2023-7-5
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely portrayed, with a suitable soundtrack. Very shallow waters. Sad to see it as a blot on the landscape, but it does serve to remind us of how things were in wartime.
2023-7-5
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 7-5 22:02
These must be further south than the ones I saw. Nicely shot. The water seems pretty shallow anyway, surprising that a sub might make its way through there.

Thanks... There are approximately 60 blockship wrecks in the sounds between the smaller islands, although only about 6 are now visible... This one is not as impressive as the Reginald on Churchill Barrier 3, have a video of that coming next week, but the water wasnt as still for that one, so thought I would post this one first..
2023-7-5
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-5 22:40
Nicely portrayed, with a suitable soundtrack. Very shallow waters. Sad to see it as a blot on the landscape, but it does serve to remind us of how things were in wartime.

It is history, we have to remember what was done and why, otherwise we are doomed to repeat it again and again... tbh I dont see it as a blot, it is a relic of a time past, something we should be reminded of as we pass, and if it bids us to remember those who perished in the conflict - even if none died on this ship...

Plus it gives a n interesting subject for a drone video.. ;)
2023-7-5
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albion Drones Posted at 7-5 23:23
It is history, we have to remember what was done and why, otherwise we are doomed to repeat it again and again... tbh I dont see it as a blot, it is a relic of a time past, something we should be reminded of as we pass, and if it bids us to remember those who perished in the conflict - even if none died on this ship...

Plus it gives a n interesting subject for a drone video.. ;)

That, it did
2023-7-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Brilliant,    I love a good ship wreck.   
2023-7-5
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-5 23:46
Brilliant,    I love a good ship wreck.

Thanks, have another one coming in a few days...
2023-7-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albion Drones Posted at 7-5 23:51
Thanks, have another one coming in a few days...

oooh. I will look out for it.  
2023-7-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice to see!
2023-7-6
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-6 00:00
oooh. I will look out for it.

Cool, its a much more impressive wreck, but the water isnt quite as calm, still, I am happy with it
2023-7-6
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Thanks you
2023-7-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albion Drones Posted at 7-6 01:32
Cool, its a much more impressive wreck, but the water isnt quite as calm, still, I am happy with it

Seems like a good excuse to go back some time to me.
2023-7-6
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-6 01:44
Seems like a good excuse to go back some time to me.

Most definitely... I think it may be a year or two, but we will go back to Orkney again...
2023-7-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Impressive footage of that old relic.    No doubt the block ships were a bit of a deterrent to the German U-boats.  I didn't make it to this location during my Orkney trips so thanks for sharing.
2023-7-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome!
2023-7-6
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-6 02:11
Impressive footage of that old relic.    No doubt the block ships were a bit of a deterrent to the German U-boats.  I didn't make it to this location during my Orkney trips so thanks for sharing.

You are most welcome, Gunther Prien still managed to get his Uboat through in the 2nd world war, and sink the Royal Oak, hence why the Churchill barriers are now in place...
2023-7-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Albion Drones Posted at 7-6 03:09
You are most welcome, Gunther Prien still managed to get his Uboat through in the 2nd world war, and sink the Royal Oak, hence why the Churchill barriers are now in place...

Thanks for the quick reply.  I was just doing a little googling and found quite a bit of interesting information on the block ships and the sinking of the RN ship.  That was a sad day for sure.  
2023-7-6
Use props
Codgerzh2
First Officer
Flight distance : 15567024 ft
United Kingdom

Great footage
2023-8-14
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer