1924 8 2023-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13381447 ft
  • >>>
United States

How can the downward sensors be fully disabled on the M300/M350? I've read that they can't be disabled but this seems hard to believe. While carrying third party LiDAR payloads these sensors obviously throw an error because the payloads are being picked up. This will result in the drone throwing an error and will even sometimes prevent it from taking off and/or starting a waypoint mission.   Downward.jpg

The only way to get around this sensor error is by covering it with a 3D printed piece or a thick piece of tape.  
20230706_144802(1).jpg

This however isn't a full proof solution. If the sensor isn't 100% covered the error will return and won't allow you to takeoff. This is a huge design flaw if there truly isn't a way to disable these downward sensors. DJI know's this drone is made to carry these type of payloads. So why have them on permanently?
2023-7-6
Use props
fans5b25584c
Second Officer
Flight distance : 24012 ft
United States

The sensors can be disabled either from the menu system or from the pre-flight checklist screen (white screen with yellow-brown writing).

I do it regularly when flying from a boat, as it will get confused by landing on a platform and/or vertical structures near the platform on both takeoff and landing.

If I forget, it will hover above the platform on landing, refusing to land, until you hold down the vertical joystick long enough to where all of a sudden it drops the last few feet with no further control inputs allowed.

2023-7-6
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

M300/M350 Disable Downward Sensors

fans5b25584c Posted at 7-6 19:36
The sensors can be disabled either from the menu system or from the pre-flight checklist screen (white screen with yellow-brown writing).

I do it regularly when flying from a boat, as it will get confused by landing on a platform and/or vertical structures near the platform on both takeoff and landing.

0707-082726 - frame at 0m46s.jpg
I wish it was that simple and it should be that simple, DJI. Even with every sensor disabled on the craft, this error can still be thrown at random times. Some times like shown here it is just a warning. Other times it can be red and prevent takeoff.
2023-7-7
Use props
AR_AirPrecision
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

Johnnokomis Posted at 7-7 06:07
I wish it was that simple and it should be that simple, DJI. Even with every sensor disabled on the craft, this error can still be thrown at random times. Some times like shown here it is just a warning. Other times it can be red and prevent takeoff.

You also need to disable the precision landing option. But be careful it won't "brake" when landing so gentle with the sticks ;-)
2023-7-9
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

AR_AirPrecision Posted at 7-9 06:45
You also need to disable the precision landing option. But be careful it won't "brake" when landing so gentle with the sticks ;-)

Thanks, I couldn't fit it all into one screenshot but if you scroll down on that same menu above I have precision landing disabled too. It seems that the only way to disable it is by blocking any IR light from getting through. Sometimes even a single piece of tape isn't enough and multiple layers are required. It's crazy that a professional tier drone like this can't have a safety sensor turned off.
2023-7-9
Use props
AR_AirPrecision
Second Officer
Belgium

Johnnokomis Posted at 7-9 07:38
Thanks, I couldn't fit it all into one screenshot but if you scroll down on that same menu above I have precision landing disabled too. It seems that the only way to disable it is by blocking any IR light from getting through. Sometimes even a single piece of tape isn't enough and multiple layers are required. It's crazy that a professional tier drone like this can't have a safety sensor turned off.

ATTI mode...

2023-7-10
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Even if this would work, you can't start a waypoint mission while in ATTI mode. Which brings us back around to the original issue.
2023-7-10
Use props
AR_AirPrecision
Second Officer
Belgium

Johnnokomis Posted at 7-10 08:19
Even if this would work, you can't start a waypoint mission while in ATTI mode. Which brings us back around to the original issue.

I was looking into the manual, are you certain the sensors aren't disabled, did you check in the "planning" screen if those are not somewhere turned back on? Are you on the latest firmware? I never fly with sensors obstructed but I do turn all sensors off and they are off ( zero warning / alert )

See page 19 from https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _Manual_EN_v4.0.pdf

Also is your payload "certified" on M300? It's clearly stated in capitals to not block the sensors.
2023-7-10
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

AR_AirPrecision Posted at 7-10 21:11
I was looking into the manual, are you certain the sensors aren't disabled, did you check in the "planning" screen if those are not somewhere turned back on? Are you on the latest firmware? I never fly with sensors obstructed but I do turn all sensors off and they are off ( zero warning / alert )

See page 19 from https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/matrice-300/20230518UM/M300_RTK_User_Manual_EN_v4.0.pdf

So if you read between the lines this "Do not obstruct zone" can translate to "SkyPort payloads only zone".

Here's another example of how crazy this is. If there's no way to disable the sensors, and you're advised not to cover them either. That leaves no other choice but to flood this LiDAR sensor with Infared light the whole time. How do you think this would effect the data..? Screenshot 2023-07-20 165836.png
2023-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules