18mm Lens and Hood
1090 8 2023-7-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WayneMann
lvl.4
United States

Hi guys,

I just got the 18mm lens for my I3 and I have some B+W ND filters for it and when I screw on any of the filters or even the clear lens protector filter that comes with the lens, the lens hood will not go back on.  Am I missing something?

Wayne
2023-7-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there, WayneMann. We're sorry for the trouble. Please send us a short video showing the issue so we can coordinate this with our relevant team for us to have a resolution on this issue of yours. You may upload the video via Google Drive or Youtube and send the link here. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-7-7
Use props
WayneMann
lvl.4
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-7 18:06
Hi there, WayneMann. We're sorry for the trouble. Please send us a short video showing the issue so we can coordinate this with our relevant team for us to have a resolution on this issue of yours. You may upload the video via Google Drive or Youtube and send the link here. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Hi, sorry for the delay.  Very busy with work.  As you can see in the video once you put the filter on the lens hood will not go down far enough so that you can turn and lock it in place.

2023-7-9
Use props
ScooterC5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 435052 ft
  • >>>
United States

WayneMann Posted at 7-9 20:24
Hi, sorry for the delay.  Very busy with work.  As you can see in the video once you put the filter on the lens hood will not go down far enough so that you can turn and lock it in place.

xx
2023-7-10
Use props
WayneMann
lvl.4
United States

Hi, I'm very well aware of that 46mm filters won't work.  I have all new 55mm filters for this lens.    The problem is even with the lens protector "55mm" that DJI supplied with the lens the lens hood will not go back on the lens, unlike the 16, 24, 35 and 50mm lenses.  The engineer that designed the lens hood for this lens screwed up.  The lens cap is NOT the issue.  If you watched the video I posted you clearly see me screw on a filter which is obviously a 55mm thread filter.  Why would you even mention the lens cap as I did not reference it or show it in the video?  For the purposes of this conversation it is irrelevant.  Why would the engineer design a lens hood that requires super thin ND filters for this one lens when none of the other lenses are that way.  It has to be for balance issues with the gimbal.  I would rather be able to use high quality filters and have to put a small amount of weight on the back of the gimbal than be restricted to using POS filters.

You do not mix and match filter brands between lens as there is almost always color shifts that will drive the editor/colorist insane.  This is professional grade equipment.  You should be able to use professional grade accessories on it.
2023-7-10
Use props
ScooterC5
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

WayneMann Posted at 7-10 12:00
Hi, I'm very well aware of that 46mm filters won't work.  I have all new 55mm filters for this lens.    The problem is even with the lens protector "55mm" that DJI supplied with the lens the lens hood will not go back on the lens, unlike the 16, 24, 35 and 50mm lenses.  The engineer that designed the lens hood for this lens screwed up.  The lens cap is NOT the issue.  If you watched the video I posted you clearly see me screw on a filter which is obviously a 55mm thread filter.  Why would you even mention the lens cap as I did not reference it or show it in the video?  For the purposes of this conversation it is irrelevant.  Why would the engineer design a lens hood that requires super thin ND filters for this one lens when none of the other lenses are that way.  It has to be for balance issues with the gimbal.  I would rather be able to use high quality filters and have to put a small amount of weight on the back of the gimbal than be restricted to using POS filters.

You do not mix and match filter brands between lens as there is almost always color shifts that will drive the editor/colorist insane.  This is professional grade equipment.  You should be able to use professional grade accessories on it.

That is cut and pasted from a post in the groups. I gave a link to one of the posts. If you read my response carefully, you'll see why it doesn't fit and what the solution is.
2023-7-10
Use props
ScooterC5
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ScooterC5 Posted at 7-10 12:06
That is cut and pasted from a post in the groups. I gave a link to one of the posts. If you read my response carefully, you'll see why it doesn't fit and what the solution is.

I deleted my post with the information showing why the hood won't fit. I understand you're not very appreciative of other's help. Good luck to you.
2023-7-10
Use props
WayneMann
lvl.4
United States

Sorry Scooter,  I just get bent when apparently no thought is put into what professionals need from professional products.  Nothing to do with you.  I did not realize you copied and pasted from somewhere else.
2023-7-10
Use props
ScooterC5
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

WayneMann Posted at 7-10 12:34
Sorry Scooter,  I just get bent when apparently no thought is put into what professionals need from professional products.  Nothing to do with you.  I did not realize you copied and pasted from somewhere else.

It's all good. I agree with you on DJI's lack of engineering on this. I was surprised to find out my Hoyas wouldn't fit with the lens hood either. Unfortunately, the Firecrest NDs I use with all the other lenses aren't made in 55mm as well.
2023-7-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules