Broch of Gurness, Iron Age Orkney...
410 33 2023-7-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Albion Drones
First Officer
Flight distance : 2605597 ft
United Kingdom

A historic Iron Age subject for todays's drone video from Orkney, the awesome Broch of Gurness...

Taken in the evening on one of the days with good flying weather - although it was getting a bit windy and turbulent - we managed to get some stunning footage, which has come together to make the video, enjoy....

2023-7-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wow.    Nice spot and nicely flown.  
2023-7-8
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-8 01:28
Wow.    Nice spot and nicely flown.

Thanks, and thanks Was a bit bouncy at times, a German guy comae on after me witth an Air2, he wasnt bouncing around at all!
2023-7-8
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Nice and again great light and weather. Nice moves.
2023-7-8
Use props
WN1X
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37884 ft
United States

I really to plan a holiday in Orkney...
2023-7-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albion Drones Posted at 7-8 01:46
Thanks, and thanks  Was a bit bouncy at times, a German guy comae on after me witth an Air2, he wasnt bouncing around at all!

I cant tell from the footage that it was bouncing,  and your footage will look better than an Air 2.  
2023-7-8
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 7-8 02:16
Nice and again great light and weather. Nice moves.

Thanks and thanks...
2023-7-8
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

WN1X Posted at 7-8 02:34
I really to plan a holiday in Orkney...

It is an amazing place, been 3 times and still not even done a quarter of what is there... Will be going back again, and probably again, although not for a short while at least.. May is good for weather and no midgies, but tbh we were not plagued by Midges in late July, so must have been lucky..
2023-7-8
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-8 03:10
I cant tell from the footage that it was bouncing,  and your footage will look better than an Air 2.

Thanks, there's a few bits where you can see, about 1:18 IIRC, but when I took off it was bouncing about 12" up and down in the wind - although may have been the turbulence near the HS house...
2023-7-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Spectacular aerial footage of what I consider the finest broch in Orkney.    I remember this place well and the views of the sea and coastline were also magnificent.  Another great job of flying, filming and editing.  
2023-7-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What an amazing complex of ancient ruins. Great views too.
2023-7-8
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-8 04:06
Spectacular aerial footage of what I consider the finest broch in Orkney.    I remember this place well and the views of the sea and coastline were also magnificent.  Another great job of flying, filming and editing.

Thank you kindly... I think the Broch at Midhowe on Rousay is equally as good, and also in a stunning locatino - being just over the water from the Gurness Broch, duid you manage to get over ther on your trip? Midhowe Tomb is also spectacular, although inside a metal shed now with a raised walkway, still one of the most breathtaking places in Orkney...
2023-7-8
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-8 04:43
What an amazing complex of ancient ruins. Great views too.

Thank you kindly
2023-7-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're welcome.  I just got back from a hike to the trig point at the summit of High Wheeldon, below Buxton.  I came down a lot faster than I went up. Took a tumble and slid and rolled a good distance.
The Mini3Pro survived as it was double-wrapped in the flymore bag AND my rucksack.  But it was an anxious moment
2023-7-8
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-8 04:53
You're welcome.  I just got back from a hike to the trig point at the summit of High Wheeldon, below Buxton.  I came down a lot faster than I went up. Took a tumble and slid and rolled a good distance.
The Mini3Pro survived as it was double-wrapped in the flymore bag AND my rucksack.  But it was an anxious moment

Glad you are ok and the drone is also.... A fall is never good, knocks your confidence as well as bruising the body... A good walking stick is a good idea when off in the wilds...
2023-7-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albion Drones Posted at 7-8 05:25
Glad you are ok and the drone is also.... A fall is never good, knocks your confidence as well as bruising the body... A good walking stick is a good idea when off in the wilds...

I have one - but it was back at the house
2023-7-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Albion Drones Posted at 7-8 04:48
Thank you kindly... I think the Broch at Midhowe on Rousay is equally as good, and also in a stunning locatino - being just over the water from the Gurness Broch, duid you manage to get over ther on your trip? Midhowe Tomb is also spectacular, although inside a metal shed now with a raised walkway, still one of the most breathtaking places in Orkney...

You're very welcome.

Yes, I did see Midhowe Broch as well.  I can only imagine what early sailors and travelers thought when they observed these awe inspiring sights.  We don't have any thing like that here in the US.  Too young of a country.
2023-7-8
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-8 05:28
I have one - but it was back at the house

Always the way, been there myself... But then again, we can't carry everything all the time...
2023-7-8
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-8 05:38
You're very welcome.

Yes, I did see Midhowe Broch as well.  I can only imagine what early sailors and travelers thought when they observed these awe inspiring sights.  We don't have any thing like that here in the US.  Too young of a country.

There is as much beauty in pristine wilderness as in the remains of long dead cultures, I would bemoan the fact that most of the UK has lost its wilderness, but as you can visit the ancient here, we can visit the amazing beauty of your land, travel to see sites such as this is something that can only enrich any that make such a journey
2023-7-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albion Drones Posted at 7-8 08:11
Always the way, been there myself... But then again, we can't carry everything all the time...

I had the essentials in the rucksack. In order of priority -  Drone, Sandwiches, Drinks, Waterproof
2023-7-8
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-8 08:27
I had the essentials in the rucksack. In order of priority -  Drone, Sandwiches, Drinks, Waterproof

Lol, yup sounds good to me, although a wee dram could also be added I suppose ;)
2023-7-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albion Drones Posted at 7-8 08:53
Lol, yup sounds good to me, although a wee dram could also be added I suppose ;)

Actually I have a small Talisker Hip-flask that I got during a visit there.
It could have been a restorative after my tumble
I shall bear it in mind in future.
2023-7-8
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-8 08:55
Actually I have a small Talisker Hip-flask that I got during a visit there.
It could have been a restorative after my tumble
I shall bear it in mind in future.

We have a Highland Park one, with 4 small metal tumblers, always good to share a wee dram when you have been walking hard, a restorative nip
2023-7-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albion Drones Posted at 7-8 09:20
We have a Highland Park one, with 4 small metal tumblers, always good to share a wee dram when you have been walking hard, a restorative nip

And I wasn't driving - I take the bus.  So no breathalyser worries either
2023-7-8
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-8 09:25
And I wasn't driving - I take the bus.  So no breathalyser worries either

By the time the walk back has been done the minute aount we imbibe will have worn off anyway... But better safe than sorry...
2023-7-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Superb location well documented (again)
2023-7-8
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 7-8 11:59
Superb location well documented (again)

Thanks... seems like I am getting ok at this editing and videoing lark nowadays... Practice makes perfect, and I am getting plenty of it. still room to improve, onwards and upwards
2023-7-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Albion Drones Posted at 7-8 08:16
There is as much beauty in pristine wilderness as in the remains of long dead cultures, I would bemoan the fact that most of the UK has lost its wilderness, but as you can visit the ancient here, we can visit the amazing beauty of your land, travel to see sites such as this is something that can only enrich any that make such a journey

You make a great point.  

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.
2023-7-9
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-9 04:26
You make a great point.  

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

Thanks, we were 'toy' shopping for hubby's birthday yesterday, 2 Proxxon powertools from his wish list now in his shed and he is playing nicely... I am cracking on with a leatherworking commission, a Clan Hume Handbag with inset tartan behind the tooled Clan Crest... Another 4 or 5 hrs work and it should be completed...
Hope your weekend is also being a good one

2023-7-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Albion Drones Posted at 7-8 13:45
Thanks... seems like I am getting ok at this editing and videoing lark nowadays... Practice makes perfect, and I am getting plenty of it. still room to improve, onwards and upwards

Absolutely true!
2023-7-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Albion Drones Posted at 7-9 05:15
Thanks, we were 'toy' shopping for hubby's birthday yesterday, 2 Proxxon powertools from his wish list now in his shed and he is playing nicely... I am cracking on with a leatherworking commission, a Clan Hume Handbag with inset tartan behind the tooled Clan Crest... Another 4 or 5 hrs work and it should be completed...
Hope your weekend is also being a good one

Wow, that's some amazing work on that handbag.  No doubt hubby is happy with some new toys.  

Got a lot of indoor projects done over the weekend and a little maintenance on the exterior of my boat.  On both Saturday and Sunday the temps hit 38C and we had 95% humidity so I tried to stay as cool as possible.  Thank goodness for a great AC system on my boat.  
2023-7-10
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-10 02:04
Wow, that's some amazing work on that handbag.  No doubt hubby is happy with some new toys.  

Got a lot of indoor projects done over the weekend and a little maintenance on the exterior of my boat.  On both Saturday and Sunday the temps hit 38C and we had 95% humidity so I tried to stay as cool as possible.  Thank goodness for a great AC system on my boat.

Those temps are killer, but the humidity is what always floors me, it can be 29C here, but with 90% hmidity and it just floors me... Need to move to the cooler and clearer atmosphere of Scotland methinks, then I will be more comfortable and have lots more drone flying opportunities on my doorstep
2023-7-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Albion Drones Posted at 7-10 02:24
Those temps are killer, but the humidity is what always floors me, it can be 29C here, but with 90% hmidity and it just floors me... Need to move to the cooler and clearer atmosphere of Scotland methinks, then I will be more comfortable and have lots more drone flying opportunities on my doorstep

Sounds like a commendable plan.  I did love my time spent in Northern Scotland.  
2023-7-10
Use props
Codgerzh2
First Officer
Flight distance : 15567024 ft
United Kingdom

A beautiful site
2023-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules