964 15 2023-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Oren.R
lvl.1

Israel

Hello,

Feature Request
I would like to propose a new feature for DJI drones, specifically related to the Return-to-Home (RTH) functionality.

The proposed 'RTH Auto Update' feature would allow the drone's RTH location to be automatically updated based on the user's current GPS position, ensuring a more accurate and efficient return to the operator's location. This feature would eliminate the need for manual RTH updates, particularly when navigating through difficult terrain or situations where it's unsafe or impractical to stop and manually update the RTH setting.

By implementing this feature, DJI can empower users to focus on the task at hand without the added stress of constantly updating the RTH setting manually. It would enhance the usability, safety, and overall user experience of DJI drones, particularly for those engaging in off-road adventures, aerial tracking, and filming activities.

Personal Story
During a recent off-road excursion with my DJI Mavic 3 Pro, I encountered a scenario where the drone's Active Track mode disengaged due to challenging road conditions. Unfortunately, I was unable to immediately update the RTH setting, causing the drone to hover at a low altitude between bushes. It was a moment of panic as the connection signal became weak, and the drone initiated an RTH to an incorrect location, potentially leading to a crash.

Having an 'RTH Auto Update' feature would have been incredibly helpful in such a situation. It would automatically adjust the RTH location to the operator's GPS coordinates, providing peace of mind and ensuring a safe return in unpredictable environments.

Thank you for your attention,
Oren
2023-7-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just a point, where the connection becomes weak or is lost AND the controller is moving, a "Dynamic Home point" may still take the drone to somewhere where the controller is not. That place may be more convenient than the launch point etc. but neither is the 'wrong location'.
2023-7-9
Use props
Oren.R
lvl.1

Israel

Thank you for your clarification. I appreciate the information regarding the 'Dynamic Home Point' feature. However, I couldn't find such an option on the DJI RC for the Mavic 3 Pro.
2023-7-9
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hello there, Oren.R.  We appreciate your valuable suggestions. We will forward your feedback to the related department. Thank you for your great support. Have a great day ahead.
2023-7-9
Use props
Oren.R
lvl.1

Israel

Thank you. I appreciate that.
2023-7-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oren.R Posted at 7-9 21:35
Thank you for your clarification. I appreciate the information regarding the 'Dynamic Home Point' feature. However, I couldn't find such an option on the DJI RC for the Mavic 3 Pro.

I don't think it exists in the Fly App.
IF DJI would make the SDK available then you could probably get it via Litchi but until, IF EVER, DJI release the SDK then it's just wishful thinking.
2023-7-9
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Oren.R Posted at 7-9 22:09
Thank you. I appreciate that.

yeah, i appreciate DJI answer as well....

Only this has been asked for many years now, so if DJI is open to their customers than a respond like "thanks for your great idea, but we do will not implement this feature. Period. Never"

cheers
JJB
2023-7-9
Use props
Oren.R
lvl.1

Israel

Interesting. If you are correct, I wonder why? Did they give a reason why wouldn't they implement this feature as an option?
Basically, it shouldn't take more than an hour of developer time to add the option to the menu.

Here is another suggestion. Allow customizing one of the buttons to update RTH.
2023-7-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oren.R Posted at 7-9 23:25
Interesting. If you are correct, I wonder why? Did they give a reason why wouldn't they implement this feature as an option?
Basically, it shouldn't take more than an hour of developer time to add the option to the menu.

It is already possible to update the home point, via the menus. There are three options, a) some point set on the map by you, b) the controller's location, c) the drone's location.
If you can access the controller to press a button on it you can presumable access the app to use the existing feature.
2023-7-10
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have really no idea.....

Ofcourse you can update HP to the RC in the menu, but what we 'need' is that the HP is set automaically every x seconds to the RC position.

One reason, mayby, why DJI is not willing to add this as an option that the the manual HP update to the RC does not work always! (for whatever reason...)

cheers
JJB
2023-7-10
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13349895 ft
  • >>>
United States

This would be incredibly easy for DJI to implement. As with many other feature request, this does not matter in regards to it being developed. For sake of RID regulations, the drone is already receiving the real-time location of the RC for broadcasting. The drone could use this data that is already being streamed to it as the updated home point.

2023-7-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Simple .. because DJI never say no so there's never any need to explain anything.

Instead they politely say:
Thank you for these information that you have shared with us. I will cascade these information to the designated DJI department for further attention. All significant suggestions or requests will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest updates on DJI please stay tuned to our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your support.

After you've seen that copy-paste reply a hundred times, you realise that it means nothing and your suggestion will be completely ignored.
2023-7-10
Use props
Frank071
lvl.4
Flight distance : 128586 ft
Netherlands

Sorry @Labroides - I wanted to check who downvoted your more than correct post and accidentally downvoted it as well (without an option to reverse that vote).
2023-7-19
Use props
Stephan Weber
lvl.1
Flight distance : 619222 ft
Germany

For me this feature request sounds very reasonable.
1-16 13:48
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is something better left to AI.  As soon as drones get real AI, then gladly.  Otherwise, the answer is this new "feature" is only capable of being marginally better than what you already have but comes with a lot of risk (which DJI isn't prepared to deal with).
1-16 15:25
Use props
Oren.R
lvl.1

Israel

In response to "The Saint" perspective, it's important to consider that while advanced AI integration in drones offers exciting possibilities, there are practical and immediate solutions that can significantly improve user experience.

A good example is the proposed one-touch button for updating the RTH setting on DJI drones.
This feature isn't about replacing human judgment with AI but enhancing the drone's usability and safety. It addresses a specific need for efficiency and responsiveness, especially in challenging or rapidly changing environments. It's about providing drone operators with a quicker, more direct way to update important settings, reducing the risk of errors or accidents in critical moments.
1-17 07:21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules