Stromness Orkney - town, harbour and seafront - June 2023
597 27 2023-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Albion Drones
First Officer
Flight distance : 2605597 ft
United Kingdom

A scenic video from our recent trip today, a slow flight over the iconic Orkney harbour town of Stromness.

Over tight and twisty lanes and over harbour and along the properties that line the waterside on a sunny and still June day...

2023-7-9
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Nice views of Hoy in the background. This is how I remember Stromness: grey houses. Better in the sun shine of course. Another question: in the highlands there seem to be big areas of RAF "half restricted" parts. How do you get the info if it's allowed to fly there? Notams? But how to get them.
2023-7-9
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 7-9 21:39
Nice views of Hoy in the background. This is how I remember Stromness: grey houses. Better in the sun shine of course. Another question: in the highlands there seem to be big areas of RAF "half restricted" parts. How do you get the info if it's allowed to fly there? Notams? But how to get them.

Thanks...

The RAF Low Flying Zones - EGR 610 - are run on a timetable, which is published, generally I do a 2 to 3 part check, I sued Dronescene to check the Notam / FRZ map, then check the published flight schedule and if unsure contact the RAF Low fly team on the number on Drone Scene...

https://dronescene.co.uk/

https://www.gov.uk/government/pu ... -training-timetable

This gives me some confidence that I am flying safely and wont be endangering any aircraft.. Although Orkney is pretty much clear of restrictions except around the airports..
2023-7-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Beautiful.  It really looks splendid in the sunshine. Lovely detail at a relatively low altitude, too.
2023-7-9
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-9 21:57
Beautiful.  It really looks splendid in the sunshine. Lovely detail at a relatively low altitude, too.

Thanks, I wanted to do some lower altitude footage too, but the signal from my TOAL point wasnt strong enough, and I didnt want to upset the locals by TOAL from inside the streets, perhaps my recent crash and brush with Oystercatchers a few minutes earlier had made me overly cautious, but I think another opportunity to capture what I was looking for may present itself in a year or two
2023-7-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albion Drones Posted at 7-9 22:36
Thanks, I wanted to do some lower altitude footage too, but the signal from my TOAL point wasnt strong enough, and I didnt want to upset the locals by TOAL from inside the streets, perhaps my recent crash and brush with Oystercatchers a few minutes earlier had made me overly cautious, but I think another opportunity to capture what I was looking for may present itself in a year or two

Best be on the safe side, of course.  Just preparing to depart on another hike around the south of Buxton again this morning. Weather should hold until I've finished at noon, according to the forecast
2023-7-9
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-9 22:44
Best be on the safe side, of course.  Just preparing to depart on another hike around the south of Buxton again this morning. Weather should hold until I've finished at noon, according to the forecast

Nice, enjpy your walk...
I am just uploading another video, then its work today, have to write a CPD session to deliver on Wednesday... Tomorrow I have the 2nd part of my End Point Assessment for the Level 5 Professional Coaching Apprenticeshiip, 2 x 1 hr sessions of observation, followed by a Q+A, then 2 weeks and its the final interview...
2023-7-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Another nice one!
2023-7-10
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Thank you, trying to vary the types of footage posted, scenic one day, modern history another and ancient sites another... And to spread them out a bit, one every 2 days, which should see me through to the end of the month...
2023-7-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Albion Drones Posted at 7-10 00:15
Thank you, trying to vary the types of footage posted, scenic one day, modern history another and ancient sites another... And to spread them out a bit, one every 2 days, which should see me through to the end of the month...

Yeah, keeps you occupied for sure!
2023-7-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lovely work,  and another lovely spot.   
2023-7-10
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-10 02:08
Lovely work,  and another lovely spot.

Many thanks
2023-7-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're very welcome.
2023-7-10
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

Albion Drones Posted at 7-9 21:43
Thanks...

The RAF Low Flying Zones - EGR 610 - are run on a timetable, which is published, generally I do a 2 to 3 part check, I sued Dronescene to check the Notam / FRZ map, then check the published flight schedule and if unsure contact the RAF Low fly team on the number on Drone Scene...

Thanks.
Though dronescene doesn't show the notams. It's "stroked-through" on my device even though I'm logged in (non paying).
2023-7-10
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albion Drones Posted at 7-9 22:49
Nice, enjpy your walk...
I am just uploading another video, then its work today, have to write a CPD session to deliver on Wednesday... Tomorrow I have the 2nd part of my End Point Assessment for the Level 5 Professional Coaching Apprenticeshiip, 2 x 1 hr sessions of observation, followed by a Q+A, then 2 weeks and its the final interview...

Sounds like you have quite a bit on your plate at the moment
I got back just ahead of the rain, but didn't get to deploy the drone, as the route I took was longer than I expected, so I would have missed the return bus - and they only run every 2 hours
2023-7-10
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-10 04:02
Sounds like you have quite a bit on your plate at the moment
I got back just ahead of the rain, but didn't get to deploy the drone, as the route I took was longer than I expected, so I would have missed the return bus - and they only run every 2 hours

Hmm, strange, works for me, but then again I do subscribe to Grey Arrows, which is linked to DS..
2023-7-10
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Germany

Albion Drones Posted at 7-9 21:43
Thanks...

The RAF Low Flying Zones - EGR 610 - are run on a timetable, which is published, generally I do a 2 to 3 part check, I sued Dronescene to check the Notam / FRZ map, then check the published flight schedule and if unsure contact the RAF Low fly team on the number on Drone Scene...

The gov site is very helpful (at least in a broad sense, might be a bit nicer if the area was broken down more.
2023-7-10
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-10 04:02
Sounds like you have quite a bit on your plate at the moment
I got back just ahead of the rain, but didn't get to deploy the drone, as the route I took was longer than I expected, so I would have missed the return bus - and they only run every 2 hours

Good you missed the rain, bucketing down here atm... Shame no footage, but then again, a good recon for another time

Yes, a lot on, but nothing new, I have been doing the Pro Coaching course for 12 months now, and it has got me the secondment I am on atm, so all good, but will be glad to complete it, pretty much a L5 foundation degree...
2023-7-10
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albion Drones Posted at 7-10 04:04
Hmm, strange, works for me, but then again I do subscribe to Grey Arrows, which is linked to DS..

I spent too long dallying on my walking route - that was the reason I was nearly too late for the bus.
Entirely my own fault
2023-7-10
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albion Drones Posted at 7-10 04:08
Good you missed the rain, bucketing down here atm... Shame no footage, but then again, a good recon for another time

Yes, a lot on, but nothing new, I have been doing the Pro Coaching course for 12 months now, and it has got me the secondment I am on atm, so all good, but will be glad to complete it, pretty much a L5 foundation degree...

The torrential rain passed through here around midnight last night, and this morning's forecast was no rain until after Noon. So I took the chance, and got away with it - just. It's raining steadily again now.
Might I enquire what your course will lead to?  I'm not au fait with the subject you intend coaching in.
2023-7-10
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-10 04:35
The torrential rain passed through here around midnight last night, and this morning's forecast was no rain until after Noon. So I took the chance, and got away with it - just. It's raining steadily again now.
Might I enquire what your course will lead to?  I'm not au fait with the subject you intend coaching in.

The coaching is in a professional context, within our company there is a coaching culture, so senior management are encouraged to coach their direct reports rather than manage. I had an intrview for a Director of Apprenticeships role last year and came second, so the coaching is to increase my repertoire to improve my chances of progression... I have 11 years + left to retirement, so dont want to sit still, and if I can progress then I can earn more and potentially shave a year or two off the retirement date...
2023-7-10
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albion Drones Posted at 7-10 04:46
The coaching is in a professional context, within our company there is a coaching culture, so senior management are encouraged to coach their direct reports rather than manage. I had an intrview for a Director of Apprenticeships role last year and came second, so the coaching is to increase my repertoire to improve my chances of progression... I have 11 years + left to retirement, so dont want to sit still, and if I can progress then I can earn more and potentially shave a year or two off the retirement date...

Sounds like a plan.
An eminently sensible one.  Mrs.B and I were lucky enough to be able to take early retirement back in 2006. So we didn't hesitate
2023-7-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, that is some spectacular views and I like the lower altitude you filmed at in this video.  Keep up the amazing work.
2023-7-10
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-10 11:14
Wow, that is some spectacular views and I like the lower altitude you filmed at in this video.  Keep up the amazing work.

Thanks, I wanted to get even lower, but then VLOS was an issue and the signal strength deteriorated, hence climbing as I went further into the town...
2023-7-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Albion Drones Posted at 7-10 11:20
Thanks, I wanted to get even lower, but then VLOS was an issue and the signal strength deteriorated, hence climbing as I went further into the town...

You're very welcome.  Looking forward to seeing your next video.  
2023-7-10
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-10 12:08
You're very welcome.  Looking forward to seeing your next video.

Scheduled for Wednesday morning, the wreck of the Reginald, another WW2 Blockship, bit more of it visible above the water...
2023-7-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Albion Drones Posted at 7-10 12:10
Scheduled for Wednesday morning, the wreck of the Reginald, another WW2 Blockship, bit more of it visible above the water...

Thanks.  I'll keep an eye out for it.  
2023-7-10
Use props
Codgerzh2
First Officer
Flight distance : 15567024 ft
United Kingdom

Lovely looking place
2023-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now