Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hogster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2677126 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi all,

Just wondering if you'd be able to share links to full-resolution images (ideally in DNG but JPG also fine) taken with your Mavic 3 Pro?

I've just started using mine and have noticed areas that are consistently blurred / smudged across all images taken with the main wide camera unless strongly stopped down to >f/9.

Here are some examples:

https://www.horizonimagingportal ... _pro_blurring_1.jpg
https://www.horizonimagingportal ... _pro_blurring_2.jpg
https://www.horizonimagingportal ... _pro_blurring_3.jpg
https://www.horizonimagingportal ... _pro_blurring_4.jpg
https://www.horizonimagingportal ... _pro_blurring_5.jpg

Normally it's the extreme edges of images that are soft and that's understandable, but these blurred areas are in part of an image that I would expect to have very good sharpness, as per the area circled in green.

This doesn't seem normal so I was wanting to check with other users to see if they've experienced anything similar.

Yes I'm pixel-peeping, but I'm a full-time drone photographer and my clients often crop into their images and I'd assumed the Mavic 3 Pro cameras would be have better focus uniformity than this.

Many thanks for your help!

David
EDIT: The examples in the DPReview gallery look much more consistent / sharp across the frame:

Sample 1

Sample 2
Sample 3
2023-7-10
Use props
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United States

Please also see this thread: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D920%26typeid%3D920

I've experienced this issue myself. It took me three M3P's to get it right,
Good luck.
2023-7-10
Use props
Hogster
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MS Posted at 7-10 12:03
Please also see this thread: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=291063&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D920%26typeid%3D920

I've experienced this issue myself. It took me three M3P's to get it right,

Thanks for your reply MS! I'm in a way glad to hear this that I'm not the only one with this problem!

I purchased the drone on Amazon so I guess I can just return it for a refund and buy another one? Do you have any experience / have you heard of any problems returning drones to Amazon?

Many thanks,

David
2023-7-10
Use props
Hogster
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hogster Posted at 7-10 13:08
Thanks for your reply MS! I'm in a way glad to hear this that I'm not the only one with this problem!

I purchased the drone on Amazon so I guess I can just return it for a refund and buy another one? Do you have any experience / have you heard of any problems returning drones to Amazon?

Just started a return for the current one and ordered a new one ... fingers crossed!
2023-7-10
Use props
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United Kingdom

Hogster Posted at 7-10 13:08
Thanks for your reply MS! I'm in a way glad to hear this that I'm not the only one with this problem!

I purchased the drone on Amazon so I guess I can just return it for a refund and buy another one? Do you have any experience / have you heard of any problems returning drones to Amazon?

There are probably more users out there with the sane problem, but don't know it yet, if they just shoot video, or maybe just take landscape photos.

I bought mine directly from DJI, so had to return it from the UK to the Netherlands  multiple times.
2023-7-10
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hogster Posted at 7-10 13:40
Just started a return for the current one and ordered a new one ... fingers crossed!

Hi, David. Sorry to read about the issue and that you have to return your Mavic 3 Pro. Should you need further assistance with the replacement unit, please let us know.
2023-7-11
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hogster Posted at 7-10 13:40
Just started a return for the current one and ordered a new one ... fingers crossed!

Same here, exactly the same issue.
Im in the middle of 4th replacement and seen images from another 3 units and all of them had this problem.
I hope you will be more lucky than I am... last time I was told by DJI representative I have to manually sharpen these while editing. Which is unacceptable and I requested a refund or another replacement.
I love the drone and everything it offers, but cant use it with images like that, knowing that there are good examples.
2023-7-12
Use props
Hogster
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well the old one was collected today and the new one has just been delivered .... and it's ... definitely much much better ... maybe this is as good as can be expected?

See what you think ... these were taken whilst holding the drone out of my window – there did seem to be some soft areas in the same place on each image, circled in red:

Sample 1
Sample 2
Sample 3
Sample 4
Sample 5
Sample 6
Sample 7
Sample 8
Sample 9

But I've just been out flying and took these shots ... and whilst I put the rings in the same position, I'd say all parts of the image are acceptably sharp:

Sample 10
Sample 11

Sure, there are some *super* sharp areas of the image, but the rest of the image is still sharp enough.

So maybe this one is a keeper

What do you think? How do these images compare to your 'soft' images, Crio?

Many thanks!

David

2023-7-12
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hogster Posted at 7-12 11:54
Well the old one was collected today and the new one has just been delivered .... and it's ... definitely much much better ... maybe this is as good as can be expected?

See what you think ... these were taken whilst holding the drone out of my window – there did seem to be some soft areas in the same place on each image, circled in red:

I'd say its good enough yes, I would be happy having something like this.
I just spoke with another user and he said his replacement was good for about 15 flights and it became more blurry... Something to watch for. Cant confirm this on my findings as I never kept any of them for longer than 3 flights.
2023-7-13
Use props
Hogster
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for your feedback Crio! I'm relieved to hear this looks like a 'good' copy!

By comparison, here's the number '10' shot at f/6.3 and with a touch more sharpening too:

Aerial shot at f/6.3

... this time without the red outline so you aren't tempted to try and look in the same area to find any softness!
I think it looks pretty good ...

Looking back at some of my shots taken with my Mavic 2 Pro, I can find similar areas of super-sharpness and then some softer areas ... maybe my expectations were just higher with this latest 'flagship' model with 2023 tech compared to 2018 tech!

I think I'll probably keep this one now.

I hope you get a good copy soon!

If there's one thing I've learned from this process is that it's a good idea to buy from Amazon with their no-quibble returns policy ... it sounds like sending a drone back to DJI for this type of problem usually results in them saying "It's normal" or "It's within expected quality levels" ... or "Just apply more sharpening"!

All the best,

David

2023-7-13
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hogster Posted at 7-13 01:41
Thanks for your feedback Crio! I'm relieved to hear this looks like a 'good' copy!

By comparison, here's the number '10' shot at f/6.3 and with a touch more sharpening too:

Im happy for you
I lost hope after almost 3 months of sorting this out but who knows, maybe next one will be decent.
2023-7-13
Use props
Hogster
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gosh 3 months is a long time to have been going back and forth ... I really hope you get one you're happy with soon!

Whilst I ridiculed DJI for suggesting to 'do more sharpening' ... I've actually found it's very easy to create a localised sharpening mask in Lightroom and then have it automatically applied to every image you import from the same camera.

So the following two images have been selectively sharpened and I almost can't tell where the fuzzy bits were any more!

Selective sharpening example 1
Selective sharpening example 2

It can't fix seriously smudged areas of an image as the detail has basically been lost, but for subtly softer areas it can pull back detail surprisingly well.

Out of interest, this is what the selective sharpening mask looks like – pink is sharpened, white is left as the original image:

Selective Sharpening Mask

Hope this tip helps some folks out there!

All the best

David

2023-7-13
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hogster Posted at 7-13 08:01
Gosh 3 months is a long time to have been going back and forth  ... I really hope you get one you're happy with soon!

Whilst I ridiculed DJI for suggesting to 'do more sharpening' ... I've actually found it's very easy to create a localised sharpening mask in Lightroom and then have it automatically applied to every image you import from the same camera.

Its a half measure. This shouldnt be and never will be a fix.
I know it might help a bit if you dont really care as much and blurry section is not massive, but sugesting  a selective correction by a manufacturer of bad quality lens or whatever is causing this issue seems like a joke.

Anyway, stick to your copy and dont crash it please ;)  
2023-7-14
Use props
Hogster
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Crio Posted at 7-14 02:04
Its a half measure. This shouldnt be and never will be a fix.
I know it might help a bit if you dont really care as much and blurry section is not massive, but sugesting  a selective correction by a manufacturer of bad quality lens or whatever is causing this issue seems like a joke.

Oh I'm completely with you, and for serious blurring / smudging issues no amount of post-processing is going to make the smudging go away / bring back anywhere near the same level of detail ... but for very minor softness like on my latest copy, it does bring back a surprising amount of detail. Again, it would have been better for the detail to be there in the first place, but at least in my case it's made the sharpness consistent across the frame now

Cheers!

David
2023-7-14
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hogster Posted at 7-14 02:15
Oh I'm completely with you, and for serious blurring / smudging issues no amount of post-processing is going to make the smudging go away / bring back anywhere near the same level of detail ... but for very minor softness like on my latest copy, it does bring back a surprising amount of detail. Again, it would have been better for the detail to be there in the first place, but at least in my case it's made the sharpness consistent across the frame now

Cheers!

I just got another replacement yesterday, happy to report that this one is without this issue
2023-7-29
Use props
Hogster
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great to hear! When you have a moment I'd be curious to see an untouched JPEG straight from the camera ... although maybe I shouldn't as your copy might be better than mine

Glad your search is finally at an end!
2023-7-29
Use props
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 328084 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

Crio Posted at 7-13 00:39
I'd say its good enough yes, I would be happy having something like this.
I just spoke with another user and he said his replacement was good for about 15 flights and it became more blurry... Something to watch for. Cant confirm this on my findings as I never kept any of them for longer than 3 flights.

Just curious what is manufacturing month and year of this unit which is OK? Thanks.
2023-7-30
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DH_Pilot Posted at 7-30 04:54
Just curious what is manufacturing month and year of this unit which is OK? Thanks.

Its 04/2023        
2023-7-30
Use props
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
  • >>>
Slovakia

And those before were 04/2023 as well right?
2023-7-30
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DH_Pilot Posted at 7-30 20:53
And those before were 04/2023 as well right?

Yes, every one of them.
2023-7-31
Use props
ddubluw
lvl.2

United States

Crio Posted at 7-31 05:12
Yes, every one of them.

Is anyone seeing dates past 4/23?
2023-8-4
Use props
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
  • >>>
Slovakia

ddubluw Posted at 8-4 11:08
Is anyone seeing dates past 4/23?

Today bough combo with RC PRO it is dated 2023/5.
2023-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules