Alternative Drones
669 18 2023-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DanTal311
lvl.1

United States

We run a drone studio with 14 pilots and growing.
Since the Mavic 3 is not supported with SDK for third party, we are looking for alternative drones.

DJI, terrible choices here. The second we can find an alternative, we will never return to using this brand.

After spending tens of thousands with DJI feel betrayed and screwed.

Daniel Tal, FASLA
Digital Studio Manager Confluence

2023-7-11
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with you Daniel.  The utter lack of a SDK for a broad swatch of expensive drones does not leave me with a good feeling.  The limiting decision to only give the "Enterprise" labeled drones the SDK is a bad call.
2023-7-11
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

I was hoping this thread would have been about alternative brands of drones with specs, pros and cons...
2023-7-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Burt37 Posted at 7-11 14:12
I was hoping this thread would have been about alternative brands of drones with specs, pros and cons...

For that to happen, there would have to be some alternatives ... but unless you're satisfied with substandard toys, there aren't.
2023-7-11
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Labroides Posted at 7-11 16:51
For that to happen, there would have to be some alternatives ... but unless you're satisfied with substandard toys, there aren't.

Since joining the forum I have seeing few people mentioning Autel... I also read a bit about the Anafi, Skydio and the Sony Airpeak S1 that probably belong in the Inspire range price...

I like to see more drones similar in specs (size wise) and prices to the mini 3 pro or no more expensive than the Mavic 3 (when it first came out). What about all these other brands?

Traxxas Aton

Walkera QRX 350 Pro

Yuneec Typhoon Q500

3DR Solo

There are lots of companies out there making drones... There is nothing really better than DJI?

I still remember my Proto X 4606... Most indoor fun nano drone..

2023-7-11
Use props
DanTal311
lvl.1

United States

I am at a loss as to why DJI, with a clean monopoly, is preventing the use of third party apps. The DJI Apps for scanning and film are subpar at best (our offices opinion).
It would be great if DJI would provide a good reason as to why they are not making the SKD's possible.

There are no drone alternatives unless we jump up to the Matrice, which we cannot justify the cost, size and logistics for all our offices. The DJI Chinese-state subsided monopoly has crushed everyone else.
Autel drones (still another Chinese brand) wont allow for Litchi or Pix4D.

Requiring end users to rely on smart controllers is terrible. These devices are not even on the same level as our smart phones, for example, we use the ipad mini to fly all our drones. Great solutions. Smart Controllers are POS and not for professional use.

So what is it dji? Can you actually address this with your user base.
For the record, I published books on drones  (https://www.amazon.com/Drone-Technology-Architecture-Engineering-Construction/dp/1119545889/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2U6RP9DMP89ML&keywords=daniel+tal&qid=1689128962&sprefix=daniel+tal%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-4&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840)

Our firm is heavily vested in drone operations for architecture and construction.

We were excited about the Mavic 3 Pro series.  Not anymore.

2023-7-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Burt37 Posted at 7-11 17:47
Since joining the forum I have seeing few people mentioning Autel... I also read a bit about the Anafi, Skydio and the Sony Airpeak S1 that probably belong in the Inspire range price...

I like to see more drones similar in specs (size wise) and prices to the mini 3 pro or no more expensive than the Mavic 3 (when it first came out). What about all these other brands?

What about all these other brands?
Those are all duds that came out 6-8 years ago and couldn't compete with what DJI was making way back then.
None of them made a dint on the market.
They would probably be just fine for you.

There are lots of companies out there making drones... There is nothing really better than DJI?
Yes, both of those statements are correct.

2023-7-11
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Labroides Posted at 7-11 19:25
What about all these other brands?
Those are all duds that came out 6-8 years ago and couldn't compete with what DJI was making way back then.
None of them made a dint on the market.

Why they would be fine for me?
2023-7-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mini 3 Pro has an SDK.
2023-7-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Burt37 Posted at 7-11 19:29
Why they would be fine for me?

If you're so unaware of what constitutes a possible alternative to DJI equipment, they would be ideal for you.
The simple reason that DJI has more than 75% share of the market is that there are no others that can provide anything that's able to compete.
2023-7-11
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

PM me I am a drone manufacturer. https://www.austarsaviation.com
2023-7-11
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Labroides Posted at 7-11 23:34
If you're so unaware of what constitutes a possible alternative to DJI equipment, they would be ideal for you.
The simple reason that DJI has more than 75% share of the market is that there are no others that can provide anything that's able to compete.

How do you know what I'm aware of?
2023-7-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Burt37 Posted at 7-12 00:21
How do you know what I'm aware of?

Duh ... you suggested a number of drones, made long ago and never as good as what DJI made back then and suggested they might be suitable alternatives to current DJI products.
That was like suggesting a 1960 Morris Minor or a 1970 Lada Niva might be suitable alternatives to last year's Toyoya Corolla.

You made it very clear that you are far out of your field of expertise here.
2023-7-12
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Labroides Posted at 7-12 00:47
Duh ... you suggested a number of drones, made long ago and never as good as what DJI made back then and suggested they might be suitable alternatives to current DJI products.
That was like suggesting a 1960 Morris Minor or a 1970 Lada Niva might be suitable alternatives to last year's Toyoya Corolla.

I'm not sure why you are doing this.. But it is clear that you just can't help it... I didn't suggested anything. Mine was a question...

You have your head so much far up your ass that it is scary...

How do you go from a thread where a member is asking about other brand of drones, to compare two cars including the famous Lada Niva (that obviously you never owed otherwise you would have known that to this day it still considered one of the best and unstoppable 4WD)... Probably you were not even born back then...

Life's too short to be wasted with you... Have a nice day... I hope you find peace or a cure one day...
2023-7-12
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

bjr981s Posted at 7-11 23:36

Thanks for the link Brian.
2023-7-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

bjr981s Posted at 7-11 23:36

Haha ...  your products are about 5000% past that turkey's needs or ability.
2023-7-12
Use props
DanTal311
lvl.1

United States

So, at this point it seems the Mavic 3 Pro is not able to use any third party apps. For such a good drone to have zero scanning capabilities (DJI Fly and other apps are not options) how are people using the Mavic 3 Pro for photogrammatry? or really its just a good looking Chinese paper weight?
2023-7-12
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Labroides Posted at 7-12 02:05
Haha ...  your products are about 5000% past that turkey's needs or ability.
That's Nice!
2023-7-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DanTal311 Posted at 7-12 10:35
So, at this point it seems the Mavic 3 Pro is not able to use any third party apps. For such a good drone to have zero scanning capabilities (DJI Fly and other apps are not options) how are people using the Mavic 3 Pro for photogrammatry? or really its just a good looking Chinese paper weight?

how are people using the Mavic 3 Pro for photogrammetry?
They aren't, because it's not possible.
Some buy the Enterprise version, which can do mapping but it's handicapped by not being very good for general photography.

or really its just a good looking Chinese paper weight?

Not at all.
It's a very good drone.
It flies well, has good performance and photographs well.
It just can't run 3rd party apps.

Life is alll about compromises and DJI forces serious drone users to compromise more than necessary.
But if you want the best drones, there's still no other choice.
2023-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules