Wreck of the Reginald, Churchill Barrier 3, Orkney / Scapa Flow Blockship
537 23 2023-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Albion Drones
First Officer
Flight distance : 2605597 ft
United Kingdom

Another historic site for today's Orkney video, the wreck of the Reginald, a Second World War blockship, used to block one of the passages into Scapa Flow to prevent Uboat ingress...

Not quite so calm on the water as the previous blockship video, but more of the ship above the waterline, so still a great subject...

2023-7-11
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Ah yes, this one I saw. Would be a nice challenge to fly inside!
2023-7-11
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely done. Sad to see it in such a state.  No doubt Nature will reclaim it in time - and has made a start already. The seabirds are starting to colonise it.
2023-7-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Awesome work. but the gull was a little distracting
2023-7-11
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 7-11 22:24
Ah yes, this one I saw. Would be a nice challenge to fly inside!

Yeah, I would want an Avata for that, no way I would try it without prop guards...
2023-7-11
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 7-11 22:55
Nicely done. Sad to see it in such a state.  No doubt Nature will reclaim it in time - and has made a start already. The seabirds are starting to colonise it.

Thanks, yes the birds were a bit of an issue, I didnt want to get too close and upset them sufficiently that they then attacked the drone - which I have heard seagulls have done in the past, so I kept some distance...
2023-7-11
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-11 23:07
Awesome work. but the gull was a little distracting

Thanjks, yes, the gulls were distracting for me flying too, kept thinking they were going to mob me, thankfully not...
2023-7-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice subject well captured!
2023-7-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albion Drones Posted at 7-11 23:56
Thanjks, yes, the gulls were distracting for me flying too, kept thinking they were going to mob me, thankfully not...

Yes,  I can imagine.  
2023-7-11
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albion Drones Posted at 7-11 23:56
Thanks, yes the birds were a bit of an issue, I didnt want to get too close and upset them sufficiently that they then attacked the drone - which I have heard seagulls have done in the past, so I kept some distance...

Quite. Any bird bigger than the drone is always a worry.
2023-7-12
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 7-11 23:57
Nice subject well captured!

Thank you...
2023-7-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome.
Have you flown there before?
2023-7-12
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 7-12 00:28
You're welcome.
Have you flown there before?

No, first time on Orkney with a drone, although there are numerous blockship wrecks, so there is another video with the wreck of a diferent ship - near the 2nd Churchill Barrier - that is similar...
2023-7-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Albion Drones Posted at 7-12 01:09
No, first time on Orkney with a drone, although there are numerous blockship wrecks, so there is another video with the wreck of a diferent ship - near the 2nd Churchill Barrier - that is similar...

Ah ok, maybe that confused me.
2023-7-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting footage.    Seems that the 80 or so years have not been good for the steel ship.  Nice flying and great job of documenting what remains of the Reginald.
2023-7-12
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-12 02:33
Interesting footage.    Seems that the 80 or so years have not been good for the steel ship.  Nice flying and great job of documenting what remains of the Reginald.

Thanks, tbh I am pretty sure if I had been sat for the last 80 years in water I wouldnt look quite so good as poor old Reginald! ;)
2023-7-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Albion Drones Posted at 7-12 02:37
Thanks, tbh I am pretty sure if I had been sat for the last 80 years in water I wouldnt look quite so good as poor old Reginald! ;)

None of us would.  

Keep on flying and have a wonderful day.  
2023-7-12
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-12 03:51
None of us would.  

Keep on flying and have a wonderful day.

Thanks, you have a great day too...

And I shall definitely keep on flying... may soon have a second larger drone in the hangar too ;) Fingers crossed...
2023-7-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Albion Drones Posted at 7-12 03:53
Thanks, you have a great day too...

And I shall definitely keep on flying... may soon have a second larger drone in the hangar too ;) Fingers crossed...

Thanks for the well wishes.  Good to know you may soon have a larger drone (Mavic 3 Pro???) soon.  

Temperatures are forecast for high again today (38 C) so I may get out my scuba gear and get in a few dives as the water temps are much cooler.  
2023-7-12
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-12 03:55
Thanks for the well wishes.  Good to know you may soon have a larger drone (Mavic 3 Pro???) soon.  

Temperatures are forecast for high again today (38 C) so I may get out my scuba gear and get in a few dives as the water temps are much cooler.

Possibly a MAVIC 3 Classic, with the RC Pro and Flymore kit, and a saving of £500+ over new, plus was new in April... Not quite the ultimate drone, but not far off - and with 3.5 hrs flight time a bragain that is too good to miss, fingers crossed it comes to fruition. A friend from a forum will be selling his if he goes for an AIR3, he is finding the MAVIC is too big and has more features than he needs for his stills, so wants to downsize back to the Air range... The good thing is we may have it well before the autumn Skye trip, so time to get to grips with it too..

Enjoy the water, its currently overcast and breezy with mild temperatures here, so comfortable to work in... May even get some time in the shed tonight if the rain holds off...
2023-7-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Albion Drones Posted at 7-12 05:23
Possibly a MAVIC 3 Classic, with the RC Pro and Flymore kit, and a saving of £500+ over new, plus was new in April... Not quite the ultimate drone, but not far off - and with 3.5 hrs flight time a bragain that is too good to miss, fingers crossed it comes to fruition. A friend from a forum will be selling his if he goes for an AIR3, he is finding the MAVIC is too big and has more features than he needs for his stills, so wants to downsize back to the Air range... The good thing is we may have it well before the autumn Skye trip, so time to get to grips with it too..

Enjoy the water, its currently overcast and breezy with mild temperatures here, so comfortable to work in... May even get some time in the shed tonight if the rain holds off...

Wow, that's a real bargain.  So hopefully it does come to fruition.  I'm looking forward to what the Air 3 brings but unless it is a huge upgrade over the Air 2S  I may well pass on it.  Between the Air 2S and the Mini 3 Pro they pretty much meet my requirements.  

Had an interesting dive yesterday at a location I haven't been to in years.  I found a debris field from a plane crash.  After getting back home and doing a little research I found out it had already been reported.  Turns out it was an old C-17 commercial plane that crashed into the sea while out on a post maintenance check flight.  Pilot and Co-Pilot both survived.
2023-7-13
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-13 02:46
Wow, that's a real bargain.  So hopefully it does come to fruition.  I'm looking forward to what the Air 3 brings but unless it is a huge upgrade over the Air 2S  I may well pass on it.  Between the Air 2S and the Mini 3 Pro they pretty much meet my requirements.  

Had an interesting dive yesterday at a location I haven't been to in years.  I found a debris field from a plane crash.  After getting back home and doing a little research I found out it had already been reported.  Turns out it was an old C-17 commercial plane that crashed into the sea while out on a post maintenance check flight.  Pilot and Co-Pilot both survived.

Good to hear they survived... I have only ever done snorkelling myself, but loved it when  in the meditteranean years ago... Would like to do some proper scuba, but cost, I have too many expensive hobbies already...

Had a chat with the gent that may be selling us his MAVIC 3 Classic, he needs to see the AIR 3 and be sure it is what works for him before he can make a decision, which is fine by me... Talked with hubby, who would rather buy new anyway, but have agreed that if this MAVIC 3 Classic is for sale then we will buy it, if not then it will probably be a MAVIC3 Pro early in 2024, once we have saved the pennies up...

Air 3 does look interesting, but as I have the MINI3 Pro already, and the AIR 3 is still above 500gm then I think the larger and more wind resistant MAVIC 3 is the way forwards for me, I will still keep the MINI3 Pro, but then I will have a choice of what to fly depending on conditions and location...
2023-7-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Albion Drones Posted at 7-13 02:55
Good to hear they survived... I have only ever done snorkelling myself, but loved it when  in the meditteranean years ago... Would like to do some proper scuba, but cost, I have too many expensive hobbies already...

Had a chat with the gent that may be selling us his MAVIC 3 Classic, he needs to see the AIR 3 and be sure it is what works for him before he can make a decision, which is fine by me... Talked with hubby, who would rather buy new anyway, but have agreed that if this MAVIC 3 Classic is for sale then we will buy it, if not then it will probably be a MAVIC3 Pro early in 2024, once we have saved the pennies up...

Sounds like a well thought out plan.  

The initial cost to get into scuba diving is a bit expensive.  However, once have all the gear refilling the tanks as needed is fairly cheap.  I like diving most because it gives me a good cardio workout as well as muscles without the jar of running on the knees, etc.  Also on a hot day it is nice to cool off by diving.  
2023-7-13
Use props
Codgerzh2
First Officer
Flight distance : 15567024 ft
United Kingdom

Interesting
2023-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules