1107 17 2023-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
XtrmSnpr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176385 ft
Greece

Dear community, I have bad news.

My brand new dji mini 3, “died”, it’s not even 2 months old yet….and I’m beyond sad about it.

It all started about a week that I thought due to some moderate wind, I couldn’t flight horizontally-sideways easily, on axis X. That means, I couldn’t fly it in a straight line going side ways to the right (only). It was like drifting either missing the straight line to the upper side or bellow it. I was like “ok it is a bit windy”, but never more than 4 Beaufort, according to the weather forecast. The next day, I went again on the same area, wind conditions were much better, again the same issue. I had no wind warnings, still the drone couldn’t fly in a straight line from left to right. The movement back and forth was ok normal and the sideways movement from right to left.
My friend who was with me, confirmed that the drone wasn’t moving to the right position. No obstacles in front of me, max distance 400m. Time of incident 14.30.

On Monday again I went for flight, again the sideways movement left to right wasn’t working properly, the drone was drifting in various directions. Weather conditions were ideal for flight. Time of incident 19.40-20.00.
Yesterday, I went to the beach and wanted to capture some footage. Again, in 20m high, I couldn’t fly it straight from left to right sideways, again the same friend saw the same thing and confirmed that the drone didn’t move to the right position. On the beach the wind it didn’t seem that much, but above the ground where I went to 50-60m that I’ve climbed I got high wind warnings so I took it down asap, and never attempted to take it off again. No obstacles in front of me, max distance 150m away from me. Time of incident 16.00.

Today, just a while ago, I wanted to see if indeed there was an issue with the drone after all. No wind conditions more than 2bf. I’ve prepared my drone, picked up my dog and asked my dad to accompanied me in order to have a spotter with me. We went to the coast in old harbor of my town, to test the drone.
At the beginning of the flight on about 10m high, everything was smooth enough left to right sideways went ok, the opposite direction as well, back and forth as well. I’ve climbed at 70m and started testing it. The movement left to right sideways malfunctioned again, the drone was drifting above or bellow the axis X, but the rest of the movements were ok. I’ve kept flying around in various heights just to test the drone. Once I was flying in align with an old jetty ruin in the sea, the drone stoopped and I’ve noticed that the drone wasn’t listening to me on the any movement of the right stick, I’ve tried to bring it back to land it in front of me to the HP. The drone was barely moving in any directions except up and down, movements with the left stick of the joystick.

I could strafe it around, I’ve switched to sport mode and it had such slow speed going backwards and forward, I’ve managed to bring it above land and tried to bring it to me but with no use, the drone wasn't moving. I’ve pressed the RTH button, and drone started to ascent to 120m as I have set it, it reached the height and stopped! The count down on the screen stuck counting on 18" and the drone was standing on its position while the beeping sound didn’t stop. The drone stuck there and did nothing. I’ve stopped the RTH procedure and tried to fly it to my position with no success. There wasn't any movement from the right stick at all, total dead!

I’ve walked there, it was about 2mins walking from the home point, and the drone was standing almost above the main road, I’ve started descending it, and while it was about 5-10mins above me I’ve tried to  move it around with the right stick and I got no movement at all it was soo slow, the right stick was indeed completely dead. I’ve landed it quickly and packed it.
Time of incident 20.00.

And now I’m here describing my drone’s story.

I’ve the latest firmware in all 3 batteries/the rc n1 controller/the drone and the most recent version of the dji app. All the above happened with 3 different batteries.
I have calibrated the compass and the IMU yesterday. RC signal was to the max, nothing was between me and the drone. GPS signal with 24-32 sattelites. Flying in axis Y is ok!

The drone was in normal mode not in cine, although I’ve tried on air to change the modes just in any case,but nothing helped the issue.

It is summer time in Greece, but all flights, except the one, happened at late evening or at the dusk.
I’m using a Samsung GALAXY TAB A8 2021 tablet and a google pixel 7 pro, I got that issues with both devices.

Any clues before going to the chat support and ask for a replacement?

Thank you in advance and sorry for the long text.

2023-7-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the incident that happened to your drone. You may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support . Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-7-12
Use props
XtrmSnpr
lvl.2
Greece

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-12 19:04
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the incident that happened to your drone. You may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support . Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thank you for the reply.
I will chat with them once the customer service department opens, since now it's not yet.
I hope that they will assist me with it. I trust the quality of DJI on this, although that the drone unit didn't seem to follow.

Are they going to let me know if I need to pack everything up and send them over?( I have the fly more combo.) Or just pack the drone and send it?

I will update this thread with the procedure and if I have any updates regarding it.
The only good thing on this is that I will be gone for 1 month away, and I won't need to use the drone so there is plenty of time on this.
2023-7-12
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

If you like help/advice/explanation on this forum share your flightlog(s) with this issue

use > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Post the uploaded link on here

cheers
JJB
2023-7-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

XtrmSnpr Posted at 7-12 20:19
Thank you for the reply.
I will chat with them once the customer service department opens, since now it's not yet.
I hope that they will assist me with it. I trust the quality of DJI on this, although that the drone unit didn't seem to follow.

Thank you for your response. Once you submitted the needed information to create a repair case, they will contact you approximately 24-48 hours from the initial reply about the next step on how to send your unit to us. They will update you via email. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries. Thank you.
2023-7-13
Use props
XtrmSnpr
lvl.2
Greece

JJB* Posted at 7-12 23:05
Hi,

If you like help/advice/explanation on this forum share your flightlog(s) with this issue

Thank you for the reply, I'm not that familiar with the process since all these are new era for me, but is this the link? https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/0XN9XSF9VA0DVHZ0H7OS/#
i've uploaded the yesterday's log 12/7/23. I've watched the feed, I think around the 9th minute the issue with the non responding right stick occurred, but i'm not sure. I can see the right stick all up but the drone speed is so slow and reaching 0 sometimes. I don't know how to "translate" the log.
2023-7-13
Use props
XtrmSnpr
lvl.2
Greece

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-13 02:09
Thank you for your response. Once you submitted the needed information to create a repair case, they will contact you approximately 24-48 hours from the initial reply about the next step on how to send your unit to us. They will update you via email. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries. Thank you.

Thank you, I will start right now.
2023-7-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

XtrmSnpr Posted at 7-13 03:52
Thank you for the reply, I'm not that familiar with the process since all these are new era for me, but is this the link? https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/0XN9XSF9VA0DVHZ0H7OS/#
i've uploaded the yesterday's log 12/7/23. I've watched the feed, I think around the 9th minute the issue with the non responding right stick occurred, but i'm not sure. I can see the right stick all up but the drone speed is so slow and reaching 0 sometimes. I don't know how to "translate" the log.

Hi,

Had a look at your log.

At 8m04.5s the Max Height setting (your setting 120meter) was reset to ZERO.
Trying to fly into a NFZ at 104 meter.....

See my charts.

Guess you flew against a barrier line, so inputs can be applied but drone will not 'listen'...

Fly somewhere else and check if your drone fly normally on all the RC inputs.

cheers
JJB
Analysis1.png
Analysis2.png
2023-7-13
Use props
XtrmSnpr
lvl.2
Greece

JJB* Posted at 7-13 04:34
Hi,

Had a look at your log.

Thank you for your time for replying and explaining.

I see, I will try that. Would that cause the issue?

But on the area i was yesterday, I had permission to fly. I mean, I've unlocked it via inside the app. Moreover I have flew on that area again 2-3 times in the past.

What about the drifting on axis X in the previous flights as well and again the yesterday's one?
Now that you have taught me how to trace the logs, I've uploaded the rest.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/3B5UA9099SLD9ZK0UO9S/ =(this might be not that accurate it was windy as i've said on the initial post)
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/6L4AL9FVJR00KYZM5OOE/
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/4CHLBLRTA4CXABBKV00C/ =i think in this it's the one that i've notice that the drone wasn't moving in a straight light while moving sideways from left to right.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/9UWIU0NPSI9TTQ8GEFW7 =same area with the above, just different day.

I was on the chat support for 2 hours now, I had some assistance and instructions. The representative instructed me to calibrate the rc controller and wanted me to go out and fly the drone. I did calibrate this, May I ask if i need to calibrate the IMU outdoors only? Or I can do it inside as well?
The compass calibrations happened outside.

The chat representative belives that the issue is caused from the rc controller and believed that the calibration fixed the issue.

They needed by me to hover the drone just to see if it is drifting while standing still midair. To see if the calibration fixed the issue.
Then to perform some flights in various areas in suitable weather conditions and reconnect and let them know.
I had no help regarding the RTH function, although i've explained the situation, like posting the whole post from this thread and explained the situation. They just explained how the RTH is working only.

They didn't ask me to provide the flight logs at this time.
I will try to test the drone again, but i'm really worried about this and I am afraid that I will lose it and not be so lucky like yesterday if it will become non-responsive again.

If any other info is needed I am at your disposal .

2023-7-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

XtrmSnpr Posted at 7-13 05:53
Thank you for your time for replying and explaining.

I see, I will try that. Would that cause the issue?

Hi,

if on other flights and new flights this issue (not responding) is not there, has to do with than NFZone.
Mayby the unlock wasn`t really unlocked.

IMU calibration, on a true flat surface to be done, in or outdoor does not make any difference.
COMPASS calib, somewhere free out in the open with no metal closeby.

Had a look quick look at the not treue sideways flight (15-50-50), difficult to check, but i see roll input with some pitch and yaw input at the same time. so no true sideways flight ofcourse.

Happy many landings, and just fly your drone!
cheers
JJB

2023-7-13
Use props
djiuser_yTPgOkRAxDjU
New
Flight distance : 60751 ft

United Kingdom

Hello does anyone know why my dji mini 3 fell from the sky and then regained control
2023-7-13
Use props
XtrmSnpr
lvl.2
Greece

JJB* Posted at 7-13 10:12
Hi,

if on other flights and new flights this issue (not responding) is not there, has to do with than NFZone.

Thank you for your time

That inputs were by me probably trying to make it fly in a straight line on axis X.

I will go tomorrow and test the drone again.
I will make sure to do clear paths movements and I will share it here.

Many thanks for your replies.
2023-7-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_yTPgOkRAxDjU Posted at 7-13 10:57
Hello does anyone know why my dji mini 3 fell from the sky and then regained control

Perhaps you should read post #5
2023-7-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

XtrmSnpr Posted at 7-13 03:52
Thank you, I will start right now.

You're welcome, XtrmSnpr. Feel free to contact us if you need further assistance. Have a nice day ahead!
2023-7-14
Use props
Railrodder
New
Canada

Hi,
I recently purchased my 'Mini 3' and have the same drifting problem.
It will drift to the right while trying to fly on a straight heading!
I started flying with a 'Mavic Mini' four years ago and upgraded to a 'Mini 2' later on. Both models flew problem free.
I really do not want to return for refund, but I'd like to know how to solve this problem.
It is apparent that this is a common problem with the 'Mini 3' and Mini 3 Pro'.
Help to keep me as a Dji customer!!
4-14 21:28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As has been said to other people, post the flight log for the flight.
I would also ask, how are you judging that the drone if moving away from the intended course ?
Are you aiming the drone via what you see in the screen and then applying only elevator or, are you aiming the drone by looking at the drone and judging where its nose is pointing to.
If the camera is pointing in a slightly different direction from the drone then pure elevator will give the appearance of the drone drifting off course.  It is questionable whether it not anyone can accurately judge precisely where the drone is pointing at.
Have you calibrated the controller and checked that what you think is pure elevator shows up as pure elevator and does not contain aileron ( side stick ) ?
4-14 21:50
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 6406329 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Railrodder Posted at 4-14 21:28
Hi,
It will drift to the right while trying to fly on a straight heading!

Do you have a blockage in the horizon when rotating the drone around its axis?
If so, calibrate the IMU. I encountered this problem after a small fall, I even had to open the case and move the IMU module. After calibration, the flight is performed without displacement.
4-15 00:14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Railrodder Posted at 4-14 21:28
Hi,
It will drift to the right while trying to fly on a straight heading!

Maybe there's an issue, but maybe not.
Commonly people complain about their drone not flying straight and the cause is that the camera isn't pointing straight ahead which gives the appearance of drifting to one side.

You could try to recalibrate the gimbal to get the camera pointing straight.
Or post recorded flight data from a flight where you observed this and it will confirm whether the drone was flying straight or not.

Go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions.
Follow those and you will get a summary report.
You can post a link for the report here.
Or just post the .txt file.

If your controller has a built-in screen, you'll find the file at:
Android\data\dji.go.v5\files\FlightRecord

4-15 00:23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules