A Setting for Choosing BitRate
645 6 2023-7-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spaceman5
lvl.1
Israel

Hi

The product page (and manual) of the Action 3 recommends using a microSD card that is
"UHS-I Speed Class 3 rating".

Indeed, I bought a Samsung PRO Plus microSD card,
which supports 120MB/s Writing, and 160MB/s Reading.

I then did some real life tests with the Action 3, using the resolution that I use (1080p),
and my Video BitRate results in 1080P are:
30FPS:  5MB/s
60FPS:  8MB/s
120FPS: 10MB/s

Please note:  I use h.264, and not h.265

As can be seen, it needs between 5MB/s and 10MB/s, when you're on 1080p.

So as can be understood, the really high Writing Speed requirement from your microSD card
is only needed if you go to 4K for example, which I never do.

Due to this, I would like to suggest something:

A known problem with video compression codecs, is that If you have many small details in your image,
for example leafs, grass, or things like that,
then you get a "smear" effect on your image.

This can be prevented If you use a higher BitRate
(meaning less compression) for the video data.

Currently the Action 3 does not have a Bitrate setting.

Obviously, for 4K this would be more difficult, since 4K already uses more MB/s,
but for lower resolutions, such as 1080p, and 720p (if you take my recommendation
from the previous thread that I created, about adding 720p),
there's a lot of extra MB/s that we can use with the microSD card,
and thus we can get a better (less compressed) video.

This is especially useful for people who take the video they filmed with the Action 3, and then Edit it with a Video Editing software.
The Video Editing software eventually exports the video, meaning re-compresses it,
and that re-compressing makes us lose more quality.
So preferably the source files that the Video Editing software gets are as less compressed as possible..

So can you please consider in your next Firmware Update, to add a Setting for BitRate?
At least for the lower resolutions (1080p, and 720p If you add that too).
The microSD card has a lot of spare MB/s that can be utilized for that purpose, in those resolutions..

Thank you very much

2023-7-14
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI regulates the Bitrate, if they allowed us  to lower it prevent  the overheat issuescan they increase, the next Model I say
2023-7-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate the time and effort you have invested in providing this suggestion to us. Your feedback will be definitely cascaded to the concerned team for further review. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-7-14
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Also useful for people editing with slower computers, or when you don’t need a high bit rate for say, talking head stuff. Saves space too!
2023-7-14
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Pro mode should had the option for changing the bitrate, but some people will probably complain after that it was in LQ without them knowing about settings and say  "it ruin the footage"
So can't please everyone.

2023-7-14
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

I am pleased with the current bitrate for 1080 and 2.7k. Gives very good quality. Don't use 4k but I'm sure it's just as good. I usually compress my 1080p/30fps H265 footage (which is at 30Mbits in good lighting) to 15Mbits H264 because it will take up half the space on my storage drive. The quality difference is barely noticeable (if at all).
2023-7-14
Use props
spaceman5
lvl.1
Israel

I forgot to mention in my first post that I use h.264, and not h.265..
I will Edit the first post, and add that.
2023-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules