Which Android tablets work without major FPV lag?
5235 34 2015-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Parker08
lvl.2

United States

I apologize in advance if this is a question people deal with daily.

I’ve had my P3P since May, when I upgraded to 1.1.9 I ran into the major [unsolved] lag problem. I know a “fix” was to downgrade Google Play Services, since I was using my phone [Galaxy S4] this was not something I was willing to do. I’ve largely went the entire summer without flying much in hopes of an update that would remedy the problem, which never happened.

I’m tired of dealing with FPV lag and not being able to fly due to that.

Basically what I’m hoping to get is some input on what tablet works best for other people to get as smooth as possible video feedback. I would prefer not to have to downgrade Google Play Services and I would also like for the tablet to be able to be used outside of just being a host for the DJI App. I also plan to root my tablet once I get it, not sure how many others are doing that but I thought I'd throw that in.

I have been looking at the Nvidia Shield, but it's currently unavailable due to the battery fire issue.

Any input is greatly appreciated [Unless that input is to get an iPad]

2015-8-29
Use props
myTehi
lvl.1

United States

Sounds like you already have the information that you are asking for. Surely with the info that you just listed you have read enough on this forum to know what people are using and what is working ....

Get an Ipad     ........      
2015-8-29
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

Am not sure why you would not want to down-ground the google bloatware.
2015-8-29
Use props
Parker08
lvl.2

United States

Rocket_Aus Posted at 2015-8-29 11:49
Am not sure why you would not want to down-ground the google bloatware.

Because I want the tablet to still be functional and I use google apps. Disabling the services logs you out of all your accounts, at least that is what happened when I did it on my phone.
2015-8-29
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

Parker08@gmail. Posted at 2015-8-30 02:53
Because I want the tablet to still be functional and I use google apps. Disabling the services log ...

Noo it doesn't doesnt kill any of the functionality and am not sure why it logged you out of your account but logging back in and all should be good at least that's what 99% of peeps like me have done and experienced.
2015-8-29
Use props
wnemay
lvl.1

United States

I fly with a Nexus 7 (2013) with no additional apps installed besides the pre-installed Google Apps, Hover, and the DJI GO app.
I have not seen any lag or any major issues.
To the person that recommended an iPad... I believe the iOS app crashes too.
2015-8-29
Use props
Parker08
lvl.2

United States

Rocket_Aus Posted at 2015-8-29 12:08
Noo it doesn't doesnt kill any of the functionality and am not sure why it logged you out of your  ...

My phone did not like it at all when I did it. It totally removed my 2 google accounts I had on my phone. Perhaps I went about it the wrong way. With a fresh new tablet I will play with it some more to see what happens, I would just prefer to not HAVE to disable it for it to run properly.

What tablet are you currently running?

Thanks for your input Rocket.
2015-8-29
Use props
kairkyo161
lvl.2

United States

its the device itself, the s4 does not have the processing power to pull in the video, run the gps and the map services. i upgraded to a nvidia sheild tablet from a s4 mini and never had anymore issues with lag after that
2015-8-29
Use props
snowride419
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5555102 ft
United States

Android tablets are by and large low-end devices.  Either use the NVIDIA shield or do major tweaks to get it running....or by an ipad
EDIT: my Galaxy Tab S has lag issues and i spend days/weeks trying all kinds of tips i read here and elsewhere to no avail. .  Tried a friends iPad Air 2 and it was a completely different experience.
2015-8-29
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Parker08, here's a list of devices that work well with DJI GO:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/which-device-s-do-you-use-to-run-the-dji-pilot-app.48525

Whether you decide to go with an Android or Apple device, it's important to setup the device properly. Here are some helpful tips:

For Android devices: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=16777&pid=146682&fromuid=6149
For Apple devices: http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/how-to-optimize-apple-device-for-best-dji-pilot-app-performance.48388

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-8-29
Use props
Parker08
lvl.2

United States

kairkyo161 Posted at 2015-8-29 12:56
its the device itself, the s4 does not have the processing power to pull in the video, run the gps a ...

I clearly understand that it's my device that can no longer handle the DJI software, something with 1.1.9 pushed the app to the limit. Prior to that I didn't have a problem at all.

The Nvidia shield generally seems to be the definite winner when looking through other threads. If it were available right now that is probably what I would be going with.

2015-8-29
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

Parker, just get ANY tablet on Phantom Help's list.

DUMP the running bloatware you never use anyway (TURN OFF the bloatware);
Don't "downgrade" Google Play Services (whatever that means) - Turn it OFF while flying;
Turn WiFi OFF;
Turn Airplane Mode ON...even if you do not have any sort of data services, trust me.
You can leave your tablet GPS ON - doesn't affect anything...and will help you sooner or later.
See if you still have Lag - If you DO, turn OFF video cache in your Pilot or Go app. If you don't, be happy.

PS-
Make sure you are doing all other normal things right (e.g., antenna position ...etc) and be familiar with the user guide and/or Fantomas' guide.
Since you did ask, I happen to have a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and have never had even a trace of a whisper of a hint of a problem regardless of flight length, using any FW or App. It is however just about as powerful as any Android tablet available at the moment. Got it on sale for 199 USD.

PPS -
IF YOU DO have the resources, it is always nice to have a tablet made by the same company that made its operating system, stands 100% behind its products, and doesn't invite god-knows-who to hitch a ride with their bloatware. Yeah, that's right, I tried my wife's iPad Mini2 on the Phantom 3...and it IS - gotta admit - slicker than snot. Plus, there is a real-time altitude readout (which I don't find on the Android). PLUS there is a fun little flight simulator. I just can't afford it myself.

2015-8-29
Use props
LarrysP3P
lvl.1

United States

The best setup in my opinon.  
Phantom 3 pro or Adv
Nvidia Shield    very fast No Lag!   (regarding recal they send a replacement no cost  for VO! units.)
Dji Carbon fiber props
ND8 & ND16  filters.
Always check  IMU   before flight.
2015-8-29
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

In general...  The DJI app uses a lot of processing resources on any device.  The faster the device the better your experience is likely to be.

I have never had any lag issues using my iPad Air 2.  It's fast & smooth.

I have had pretty good success using my Nvidia Shield 8. (Just about the fastest Android Tablet available.)

I have had limited success using an Nvidia Tegra tablet.  (Significant lagging.)

I have tried to tweek the settings on the low end Nvidia tablet but I never got it to work smoothly & reliably.

I would say the iPad Air 2 is working flawlessly for me.  The Nvidia Shield is second best.
2015-8-29
Use props
snowride419
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5555102 ft
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-8-30 02:07
Parker08, here's a list of devices that work well with DJI GO:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/ ...

I haven't had to do any tweaking to make FPV flawless on an iPhone5S, 6Plus or an iPad Air 2.  My Galaxy Tab S 8" is a dog in terms of performance.  Just read the suggestions people have to make things run on Android devices but Apple devices just work out of the box.  That's not DJI, but the hardware itself....there is a reason why a $400 tablet runs better than a $200 tablet
2015-8-29
Use props
kairkyo161
lvl.2

United States

Parker08@gmail. Posted at 2015-8-30 03:05
I clearly understand that it's my device that can no longer handle the DJI software, something wit ...

i was unlucky and got my sheild a week before the recall notice went out, ive had my replacement for 2 weeks now, waiting for the hackers to get at it and figure a way around the killswitch for the old tablet
2015-8-29
Use props
Parker08
lvl.2

United States

AerialLens Posted at 2015-8-29 16:13
Parker, just get ANY tablet on Phantom Help's list.

DUMP the running bloatware you never use anyway ...

I have a hard time giving that list any credit when it has my device on it and I know that it runs like total garbage.

I will say that I do like the Tab Pro 8.4, it really seems to be between that and the Shield for me. It's good to know that for you that you have had no lag.

I really appreciate the input.

2015-8-29
Use props
Parker08
lvl.2

United States

kairkyo161 Posted at 2015-8-29 16:39
i was unlucky and got my sheild a week before the recall notice went out, ive had my replacement f ...

Do you like your Shield?
2015-8-29
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

Parker08@gmail. Posted at 2015-8-29 17:56
I have a hard time giving that list any credit when it has my device on it and I know that it runs ...

I hear ya on that. There are adjustments you have to make, especially on a few models. Like you, a big part of my decision was that I have so many Android Apps already - some of which are specific to the Samsung brand (have an S3 phone), AND I must use the tablet for "real" work anyway.  Ha. I am very happy with the tablet, which performs well beyond my expectations in every way. It is lightning fast, has tons of power and memory, the screen playback is gorgeous and it even has HUGE (insane) battery life.

Would I trade it for an iPad? ....well, yeah, I guess, maybe.
2015-8-29
Use props
kairkyo161
lvl.2

United States

its great, along with using it for the quad i also got it for the ability to stream my desktop games to the device over the net, and in both aspects it works wonderfully
2015-8-29
Use props
kairkyo161
lvl.2

United States

i also just suggested to someone elses having issues with the galaxy tab to give a custom ROM a try. hardware wise theres not much difference in out devices so it has to be the extra crap samsung is running in the background
2015-8-29
Use props
kairkyo161
lvl.2

United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-8-30 05:26
In general...  The DJI app uses a lot of processing resources on any device.  The faster the device  ...

all shield tablets have TEGRA GPUs and 8 inch screens, the only difference is storage and LTE capability. so if one shield didn't act in the same manner as the other, it was user error
2015-8-29
Use props
Parker08
lvl.2

United States

kairkyo161 Posted at 2015-8-29 17:56
its great, along with using it for the quad i also got it for the ability to stream my desktop gam ...

Yea, the gaming side of it also peaks my interest. Do you enjoy gaming on it?

I like that it's almost pure android as well.

2015-8-29
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

I use a tab 4 10.1, tab 3 8.4, and a note 4 all with no lag and all play services enabled.
2015-8-29
Use props
Parker08
lvl.2

United States

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Samsung Tab S 8.4 vs the Tab Pro 8.4?

Tab S has a 1.9 GHz Exynos 5 Octa Processor (1.9 GHz Quad Core + 1.3 GHz Quad Core) and 3gb of ram.
Tab Pro has a  2.3 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 quad-core processor and 2gb of ram.

I'm wondering if the DJI app would benefit more from the faster CPU rather than the extra 1gb of ram.
2015-8-30
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

kairkyo161 Posted at 2015-8-29 16:05
all shield tablets have TEGRA GPUs and 8 inch screens, the only difference is storage and LTE capab ...

That's simply not true.

The NVIDIA Tegra 7" tablets have the Tegra 4 processor.

The Shield 8" tablet has a K1 processor with 192 cores.  It's a lot faster than the previous NVIDIA 7" Tegra tablets.
In all cases I run the tablet in airplane mode so the radios are not a factor.
2015-8-31
Use props
kairkyo161
lvl.2

United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-8-31 23:23
That's simply not true.

The NVIDIA Tegra 7" tablets have the Tegra 4 processor.

please link me to the mythical 7inch alternate build as i cannot seem to find it anywhere
2015-9-1
Use props
mm.joomgo
New

United States

I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 SM-T330 and didn't have a problem when I was using the DJI Pilot app, live video feed was pretty good. Since upgrading to Pilot, along with a few other app updates, the live video feed is TERRIBLE. It's either laggy or just sticks for 2-5 seconds, impossible to capture smooth video while flying. I've rolled back and removed all the apps and still, terrible.

Is there a way to download the Pilot app until this is sorted out? Buying another $400 tablet is not an option, nor should it be.
2015-9-1
Use props
Parker08
lvl.2

United States

mm.joomgo Posted at 2015-9-1 18:28
I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 SM-T330 and didn't have a problem when I was using the DJI Pilot app ...

I think it's a problem that DJI will never fully address, or even admit that there is a problem. They are a pretty horrible company when it comes to admitting anything is a problem.
2015-9-2
Use props
DirtTrailGarage
New

United States

Parker08@gmail. Posted at 2015-9-2 07:41
I think it's a problem that DJI will never fully address, or even admit that there is a problem. T ...

They need to do something because this is not only dangerous to fly this way but defeats the purpose to be able to take smooth video.
2015-9-2
Use props
Parker08
lvl.2

United States

I just wanted to follow up with this and say that I picked up a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and it's handled everything perfectly. I immediately rooted it, and I haven't had to disable google play services.
2015-9-18
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

Parker08@gmail. Posted at 2015-9-18 20:58
I just wanted to follow up with this and say that I picked up a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and it's handled  ...

Please define a little more about you "rooting it"...I'm very interested
2015-9-18
Use props
jorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 171946 ft
Finland

I have got Nvidia Shield and you have still downgrade services.i So, no matter, witch device, DJI GO app has FPV video lag issue. I have tested Litchi app and it has NOT lag. If you have got powerful tablet with good GPU, Shield, you can select hardware decoding in Litchi app.
2015-9-19
Use props
Parker08
lvl.2

United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2015-9-18 22:59
Please define a little more about you "rooting it"...I'm very interested

It just allows you to remove unwanted apps/bloatware from the phone... and gives you more of what would be like "admin rights" with the tablet.

What I had to do to root my Tab Pro was to change the kernal to a earlier date and just run towelroot. Took about 15min.
2015-9-20
Use props
Parker08
lvl.2

United States

jorski@netti.fi Posted at 2015-9-19 07:36
I have got Nvidia Shield and you have still downgrade services.i So, no matter, witch device, DJI GO ...

I can tell you this, with the current state of my tablet there is no lag compared to what I was dealing with before. There will always be a slight lag/delay, however on the GS4 and the Tab S 8.4, lag would get to be able 5 to 10 seconds per frame after things started to warm up.

I have not downgraded the services either, but it is rooted.
2015-9-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules