12Next >
12748 60 2023-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans703fdc54
lvl.2
Flight distance : 613474 ft
United States

I have been waiting for DJI to give us some more information on Remote ID compatibility for older DJI drones, specifically for the Mavic 2 series. I have a Mavic 2 Pro which I'm concerned is going to be unusuable in September, as it is not yet listed as an approved drone on the FAA website.  DJI announced back in 2022 for older drones, either a retrofit Remote ID module, or a firmware update for drones capable of Remote ID will be made available. There is no other information available. Am I going to be able to use it, or is DJI going to brick it, if not located in a FRIA zone?

2023-7-17
Use props
Mr. Strat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4542854 ft
United States

Still two months to go...
2023-7-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Firmware update is coming by December this year.  - https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &extra=page%3D1
2023-7-17
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-17 23:49
Firmware update is coming by December this year.  - https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=293343&extra=page%3D1

How long before RID is the 'norm' here in the UK?
2023-7-18
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI will never brick your drone.
2023-7-18
Use props
MaCJaX
lvl.4
Flight distance : 444193 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 7-18 06:33
DJI will never brick your drone.

GoPro will.
2023-7-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 7-18 01:45
How long before RID is the 'norm' here in the UK?

Depends how long it takes for the CAA to shake up our rules.  Did you see they are looking at having all the devices in the airspace connected?   Very forward thinking if they do it.  
2023-7-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Sorry for the trouble. There will be an upcoming firmware update for RID compatibility for the Mavic 2 series however it will be available by December 31st (please refer to DAFlys' reply). Thank you for your patience and understanding. Have a great day ahead.
2023-7-18
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-18 22:41
Depends how long it takes for the CAA to shake up our rules.  Did you see they are looking at having all the devices in the airspace connected?   Very forward thinking if they do it.

Where is this DA?
2023-7-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This was the video that I saw that explained it

2023-7-19
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-19 01:26
This was the video that I saw that explained it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWqfvAyI-Wk

Thanks for posting this info DA. Don't know if I could sit through an hour of lstening to this. I worked for the CAA for 17 years after leaving the RAF (22yrs) so still have a few contacts who might be able to condense the info from the Geeksvana video.
2023-7-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 7-19 01:54
Thanks for posting this info DA. Don't know if I could sit through an hour of lstening to this. I worked for the CAA for 17 years after leaving the RAF (22yrs) so still have a few contacts who might be able to condense the info from the Geeksvana video.

If you skip through he put up QR codes to the documents.
2023-7-19
Use props
fans703fdc54
lvl.2
Flight distance : 613474 ft
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 7-18 22:48
Hi there. Sorry for the trouble. There will be an upcoming firmware update for RID compatibility for the Mavic 2 series however it will be available by December 31st (please refer to DAFlys' reply). Thank you for your patience and understanding. Have a great day ahead.

My problem with this is the RID rule takes effect on Sept 23, 2023, and DJI hasn't committed to upgrading the firmware on some RID compatible drones until Dec 31. If I want to fly my Mavic 2 Pro after Sept 23, and DJI still hasn't upgraded the firmware, my only option is to buy a third party RID module for $200. All the "enterprise" level drones have already been upgraded, including the Mavic 2 Enterprise. DJI has made clear the consumer level drones don't get the same level of support, in particular allowing use of third party automation through the SDK, and upgrading them with new firmware. In short if you want to make money with your drone, make sure you buy the (really expensive) enterprise level drones. Apparently "Pro" versions of their drones are not for professionals. I did some more checking and at least the Mavic 2 Pro will be upgradeable, unlike the Phantom 4 V1, so thank goodness for that. Adding a third party module is expensive, and adds weight/reduces flight time.
2023-7-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fans703fdc54 Posted at 7-19 03:40
My problem with this is the RID rule takes effect on Sept 23, 2023, and DJI hasn't committed to upgrading the firmware on some RID compatible drones until Dec 31. If I want to fly my Mavic 2 Pro after Sept 23, and DJI still hasn't upgraded the firmware, my only option is to buy a third party RID module for $200. All the "enterprise" level drones have already been upgraded, including the Mavic 2 Enterprise. DJI has made clear the consumer level drones don't get the same level of support, in particular allowing use of third party automation through the SDK, and upgrading them with new firmware. In short if you want to make money with your drone, make sure you buy the (really expensive) enterprise level drones. Apparently "Pro" versions of their drones are not for professionals. I did some more checking and at least the Mavic 2 Pro will be upgradeable, unlike the Phantom 4 V1, so thank goodness for that. Adding a third party module is expensive, and adds weight/reduces flight time.

I understand the inconvenience. Rest assured your feedback will be referred to our designated team. We appreciate your understanding and patience. Have a great day ahead.
2023-7-19
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-19 03:20
If you skip through he put up QR codes to the documents.

Cheers again DA.
2023-7-20
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI has frequently been late in doing things. I suspect it will be the same story here. Don''t worry much. DJI RARELY shoots itself in the foot. Remember the M3 catastrophe? They do not want that again.
2023-7-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're very welcome.
2023-7-21
Use props
Greyback
lvl.3
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 7-19 03:49
I understand the inconvenience. Rest assured your feedback will be referred to our designated team. We appreciate your understanding and patience. Have a great day ahead.

I have the Mavic 2 PRO and need the firmware upgrade. I am unable to afford a new drone or a module. I want to fly without waiting until Dec. 31.
2023-7-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Greyback Posted at 7-30 08:04
I have the Mavic 2 PRO and need the firmware upgrade. I am unable to afford a new drone or a module. I want to fly without waiting until Dec. 31.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience Greyback. This has been referred to our designated team. As of right now, we do not have information yet if it will be expedited. We appreciate your patience. Have a great day ahead.
2023-7-31
Use props
Zaf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48724 ft
United States

I can't believe that an update or more readily available information is not produced by DJI; and that they do not offer a Remote ID module themselves for all those units that they have sold.  This level of service is appalling. After 4 drones, my next drone will NOT be DJI.  It may not serve them as a lesson, but will help me vent.
2023-8-9
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Zaf Posted at 8-9 15:07
I can't believe that an update or more readily available information is not produced by DJI; and that they do not offer a Remote ID module themselves for all those units that they have sold.  This level of service is appalling. After 4 drones, my next drone will NOT be DJI.  It may not serve them as a lesson, but will help me vent.

Hi there! Thank you for reaching out. We apologize for any trouble this has caused, and we respect where you stand and your future choices. We still hope for your kind understanding in this matter, and stay tuned to our official website for any updates! Have a nice day!
2023-8-9
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Zaf Posted at 8-9 15:07

Why would they make and produce a broadcast module when they put standard remote ID in [all of] their drones going forward as ordered by the FAA?  Because the FAA told *you* (not DJI) to stop flying your drone unless you comply!  And at least DJI is not grounding you.  What's next?  If the FAA orders all drones to fly with a satellite dish on the top is DJI supposed to start making satellite dishes?  DJI makes drones, you don't want them to made broadcast modules.  You want to get your broadcast modules from broadcast module builder experts.  I'm good with getting just the standard remote ID from DJI.
2023-8-9
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Greyback Posted at 7-30 08:04

The US government considered the topic of affordability and they determined the US fly public could afford at least one broadcast module so unfortunately that isn't an excuse and your issue is with the FAA, not with DJI.
2023-8-9
Use props
Greyback
lvl.3
United States

The Saint Posted at 8-9 16:56
The US government considered the topic of affordability and they determined the US fly public could afford at least one broadcast module so unfortunately that isn't an excuse and your issue is with the FAA, not with DJI.

I will comply. I contacted the FAA about allowing a grace period for this model drone with upcoming updates. They said the issue is with DJI. I asked DJI to try to get the update by the Sept deadline. Just waiting now. And no, not everyone can afford a new drone or module.
2023-8-10
Use props
IamDickiederson
New

United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-10 04:28
Somewhat akin to complaining car manufacturers don't offer seatbelt & airbag kits for vehicles built before regulations mandated their inclusion.

Only in a world where it's illegal to drive a car manufactured before those regulations without paying to have airbags or seatbelts installed...
2023-9-21
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D815%26typeid%3D815
2023-9-21
Use props
Zaf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48724 ft
France

The deadline’s past and DJI has not retrofitted the Mavic 2 Pro for remote ID.  Since they play these games, I’ll make sure my next drone is NOT a DJI.
2023-9-26
Use props
Mr. Strat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4542854 ft
United States

Zaf Posted at 9-26 14:30
The deadline’s past and DJI has not retrofitted the Mavic 2 Pro for remote ID.  Since they play these games, I’ll make sure my next drone is NOT a DJI.

The new deadline is mid-March of next year.
2023-9-26
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Zaf Posted at 9-26 14:30

Hello, Zaf. I understand the inconvenience. A firmware upgrade for the Remote ID compliance will be available by December 31, 2023. You can refer to the following link for further information: https://forum.dji.com/thread-293 ... orcement%20efforts.. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
2023-10-9
Use props
DiMora
lvl.1
United States

The new enforcement deadline is March 16, 2024. Let's hope DJI gets the upgrade released by December 2023 as they have promised.

https://www.carolinadroneacademy.com/single-post/faa-extends-remote-id-enforcement-date

Note: FAA Policy on Remote ID Enforcement
Drone pilots are expected to comply with the September 16, 2023, compliance date for Remote ID. However, the FAA understands that some drone pilots may not be able to comply because of limited availability of broadcast modules and lack of approved FAA-Recognized Identification Areas. In those instances, the FAA will consider all factors in determining whether to take enforcement action through March 16, 2024.
Read the full policy in the Federal Register..

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2023/09/15/2023-20074/enforcement-policy-regarding-operator-compliance-deadline-for-remote-identification-of-unmanned

2023-10-16
Use props
IW9HIM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3558671 ft
Italy

New firmware 01.00.0797 with Remote ID function activated on Mavic 2, requires the DJI GO 4 to also be updated to version 4.3.60 to function, otherwise the drone will not take off. Something is moving, I don't want to abandon my Mavic 2
2023-11-25
Use props
BaddogTwo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2783189 ft
United States

It is now available thru a firmware update for the drone, and also updating the DJI Go 4 App
2023-11-25
Use props
NoblerZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 776772 ft
United States

IW9HIM Posted at 11-25 03:30
New firmware 01.00.0797 with Remote ID function activated on Mavic 2, requires the DJI GO 4 to also be updated to version 4.3.60 to function, otherwise the drone will not take off. Something is moving, I don't want to abandon my Mavic 2

I just updated firmware and have a fresh download of the app off the official site..  Where's the RID info in the app??  I see nothing about RID in the app at all.  Using the Android version of the app BTW.
2023-11-26
Use props
ArcticPhoto
Second Officer
Norway

NoblerZ Posted at 11-26 12:35
I just updated firmware and have a fresh download of the app off the official site..  Where's the RID info in the app??  I see nothing about RID in the app at all.  Using the Android version of the app BTW.

Here is a tips from DJI to check if RID is working:

Start drone and motors.
Use your phone or tablet to scan for available networks.
If you see a string with the prefix RID followed by a 20-digit alphanumeric Remote ID serial number in the "Available networks", it means that the Remote ID is broadcast properly.
2023-11-26
Use props
NoblerZ
lvl.2
United States

ArcticPhoto Posted at 11-26 14:11
Here is a tips from DJI to check if RID is working:

Start drone and motors.

Yeah, did all that.  Nothing being transmitted from what I can tell.  Still no RID menu in the app either
2023-11-26
Use props
stevewri
lvl.2
Flight distance : 443346 ft
United States

NoblerZ Posted at 11-26 12:35

When your controller is connected to the drone and the drone is powered on, the Remote ID SN is located near the bottom of the About section under the General Settings.  You get to the General Settings by tapping the three dots in the upper right corner of the main Camera View; About is at the bottom.  You won't see the Remote ID SN unless the drone is powered on.  
2023-11-26
Use props
NoblerZ
lvl.2
United States

stevewri Posted at 11-26 22:52
When your controller is connected to the drone and the drone is powered on, the Remote ID SN is located near the bottom of the About section under the General Settings.  You get to the General Settings by tapping the three dots in the upper right corner of the main Camera View; About is at the bottom.  You won't see the Remote ID SN unless the drone is powered on.

Yeah Steve, I've had it in the air and the menu is still not there.  Only UUID.  I just re-installed everything.  Still not there.  
2023-11-27
Use props
djiuser_T8zL6lDjA6Mz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3930 ft

United States

NoblerZ Posted at 11-27 03:03
Yeah Steve, I've had it in the air and the menu is still not there.  Only UUID.  I just re-installed everything.  Still not there.  [view_image]
[view_image]

Same with my Mavic 2 pro  drone. No RID, just controller and camera s/n info. Everything else is up to date. Is there some other steps to set this up?
2023-11-29
Use props
orstateparks
lvl.1
Flight distance : 332218 ft
United States

Yep same here. Updated aircraft firmware to 1.00.0797 and DJI Go 4 to 4..3.60. No RemoteID SN in the About section.   I just went through this exercise with my P4 RTK yesterday and that worked fine, this time, not so much.
2023-11-29
Use props
IW9HIM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3558671 ft
Italy

djiuser_T8zL6lDjA6Mz Posted at 11-29 18:58
Same with my Mavic 2 pro  drone. No RID, just controller and camera s/n info. Everything else is up to date. Is there some other steps to set this up?

hi, I don't think the RID has the ability to be configured, but it will automatically transmit the drone ID.
You can do two tests: while the drone is in flight, scan it with a smartphone and check if it transmits a wifi signal with its ID, or install the Drone Scanner app from the play store and see if it is identified.
I have done these tests, but I am in Italy and most likely the drone does not transmit any ID as the European RID will be different.
2023-11-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules