Walking and running scenes on Ronin-M
6326 12 2015-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
VWPAlex
lvl.1

Germany

I am shooting gh4 and ronin-m. My results are good so far.

Just when walking or running I cannot avoid having up and down shifts in footage. Are there any tricks? In walking? In settings in app?
2015-8-29
Use props
George Mihaly
lvl.2

United States

Hi Alex, I shoot on GH4 with my Ronin-M too. I shoot on a 12mm Samyang and 25mm Voigtlander. When shooting on the 12mm, the up and down movement is not as noticeable, but it is something I can see more of on the 25mm. Two thing that help are:

1. Trying to walk as much as possible like I would with a glidecam or how I see steadicam opps walk (kind of like you're running with a glass of water trying not to spill and keeping the feet moving very close to the ground)
2. Re-calibrating and re-balancing the gimbal for each lens. Since I shoot primarily on the 12mm and 25mm, I have spent time finding my sweet spots. I have written down respective settings and balance points for each lens to make switching in/out as efficient as possible. This helps the keep the workload on the motors as small as possible, something I think helps keep the movements smooth.

Using these things is definitely art, but there still these are just a few small tips that help make your make your job as easy as possible (and hopefully don't let the tool get too in the way of shots Cheers -George

Here's a recent video I shot with my 12mm and a GH3 >>
2015-9-1
Use props
VWPAlex
lvl.1

Germany

Thanks George for reply. Much appreciated.
2015-9-3
Use props
VWPAlex
lvl.1

Germany

George Mihaly Posted at 2015-9-1 22:43
Hi Alex, I shoot on GH4 with my Ronin-M too. I shoot on a 12mm Samyang and 25mm Voigtlander. When sh ...

Trying to walk as smoothly as possible definitely helps, yes. Specially just trying to walk. I am no having problems with pan or slides. I have a 12 mm Leica aswell and the 25 mm. the 12 mm does indeed compensate a lot of movement. Specially shooting on 50 FPS helps.

So far I have been shooting on default seetings. Have not yet experienced any other smoothing/deadend etc settings. Could you share your settings for the 12 and 25 mm lenses as we are kind of shooting on same lenses. That might help me a lot!

I do recalibrate a lot and it works fine then. Sometimes I've notice a slide tilt to left or right which can just be fixed with recalibration. The lastest firmware is said to fix. But when i read in the forum here about the latest firmware many many people complain about problems after it. DJI def. has to fix that. You running firmware 3.0, latest without problems?
2015-9-3
Use props
VWPAlex
lvl.1

Germany

George Mihaly Posted at 2015-9-1 22:43
Hi Alex, I shoot on GH4 with my Ronin-M too. I shoot on a 12mm Samyang and 25mm Voigtlander. When sh ...

Btw, really like you video.

Can you share your settings of ronin-m app for that?
2015-9-3
Use props
George Mihaly
lvl.2

United States

VWPAlex Posted at 2015-9-3 07:00
Btw, really like you video.

Can you share your settings of ronin-m app for that?

Hi Alex, I haven't updated to the latest firmware as I too have seen a lot of the comments saying it's still a bit buggy. I am running on the firmware release from 6/15 (I think it's IMU 1.2). One thing I have seen with the auto-tune feature is that often times after the auto-tune happens, all the smooth tracks options are turned off, something I make sure to double check after I auto-tune.

Here are the settings I had when I shot that Parkour video (taken from my iPhone App). Thanks for the kind remarks. -George

Pan Axis Stiffness / Pan Axis Trim = 55 / 0
Tilt Axis Stiffness / Tilt Axis Trim = 40 / 0
Roll Axis Stiffness / Roll Axis Trim = 48 / 0

Pan SmoothTrack = ON
Tilt SmoothTrack = ON
Roll SmoothTrack = ON

Pan Axis Speed / Deadband / Accel = 50 / 0 / 20
Tilt Axis Speed / Deadband / Accel = 50 / 20 / 20
Roll Axis Speed / Deadband / Accel = 50 / 15 / 20

Total Weight of Camera, Lens, Mounting Plate = 2lb 9 1/8ozs (1165grams)
Camera = Panasonic GH3
Lens = Samyang 12mm F2.0 with 8 Stop Neutral Density Filter
Frame Rate = 24fps + 60fps
Shutter = 180 degree
ISO = 200
2015-9-3
Use props
VWPAlex
lvl.1

Germany

Perfect Thx
2015-9-3
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

Excellent work George!! Thanx for sharing!

A quick question, do you still run on IMU 1.2 or have you upgraded to the latest FW for the Ronin-M ?
2015-9-5
Use props
ddvideo
New

Australia

George Mihaly Posted at 2015-9-4 01:51
Hi Alex, I haven't updated to the latest firmware as I too have seen a lot of the comments saying i ...

Thanks for sharing George, those settings have helped me a lot.

Great video too!
2015-9-20
Use props
George Mihaly
lvl.2

United States

ddvideo Posted at 2015-9-20 04:41
Thanks for sharing George, those settings have helped me a lot.

Great video too!

Thanks DDVideo - happy it helped! I've actually gone back to these settings for reference after updating firmware and changing camera bodies. Happy shooting! -George
2015-9-23
Use props
George Mihaly
lvl.2

United States

paullindqvist Posted at 2015-9-5 15:27
Excellent work George!! Thanx for sharing!

A quick question, do you still run on IMU 1.2 or have yo ...

Thanks Paul! I am not on the latest firmware. I'm hoping it gets properly fixed soon though as I do experience a bit of drifting most noticeably on my roll axis and a little on my tilt axis.

I've found that the drift can usually be remedied through moving the camera dramatically in the opposite direction of where the tilt is happening (sometimes while also changing the height of unit in space). Or, if I can't get that to work, I'll use the Test Roll Axis or Test Pan Axis option in the app. If my pan axis is off I've also used the remote control to reset it.

Do you have any experiences like this? Many thanks -George
2015-9-23
Use props
sunsurfh2o
lvl.1
United States

George Mihaly Posted at 2015-9-23 23:23
Thanks DDVideo - happy it helped! I've actually gone back to these settings for reference after up ...

Great video George! How did you deal with setting focus in this video where you had athletes running towards and away? I'm new to these gimbals and having trouble getting focus right. GH4 auto-focus is terrible even with a subject moving at slow pace. Any tips would be appreciated.
2015-10-2
Use props
George Mihaly
lvl.2

United States

sunsurfh2o@yaho Posted at 2015-10-2 04:52
Great video George! How did you deal with setting focus in this video where you had athletes runni ...

Thanks sunsurf - for focus, I tried as best as I could to maintain the same distance between myself and the subject. However, what made the biggest difference was the fact that as it was super bright outside, I used an 8-stop ND filter on my lens and shot at somewhere around F12 (I don't remember and the lens is not active so the information does not come back in xif form). At F12, I had a very large range of focus and the lens, Samyang 12mm F2, did a nice job helping maintain an overall sharp image. Hope that helps -George
2015-10-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules