ELIMINATE the Washington DC restricted zone PLEASE
1805 12 2015-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alan
lvl.2

United States

Starting last Decmber, the GPS was blocked on Inspire and Phantoms in a large area of the DC metro region... approximately a 15 mile radius from the White House. This has virtually nothing to do with airport security as in other restricted zones. It seems that it was simply some kind unexplainable weird reaction by DJI to the guy who flew a Phantom onto the White House lawn.  I have nothing against maintaining the restriction around Reagan, National, Dulles, Andrews and other airports. BTW, I was right next to Martin Airport in Baltimore and there was no GPS restriction there, so what is going on?

One can fly numerous other models of copters and airplanes here or merely cover the top center part of the Inspire with aluminum foil and use ATTI mode. So if DJI's blocking of the GPS can be defeated so easily, presumably any terrorist who plans to use a Phantom or Inspire in the area can either cover the GPS with foil or use another craft.  (Yes it is that easy.) It seems to me that if a number of people are flying in ATTI mode instead of GPS mode, the risk to the public has been raised, not lowered by this action of creating a giant "No Fly Zone" here. And as the word gets out that a simple piece of foil will let you fly here, more will do it.

I heard from my local dealer that DJI was going to start a system where owners of Inspires and Phantoms can sign some kind of release or waiver and then they will be able to fly in GPS mode here. But the delaer said that DJI is more than a month behind the date that they told the dealer.

I actually went to the trouble of getting a GoPro and three axis gimbal in order to shoot from another copter, but it is not as good as using the Inspire.

Can anyone here who works for DJI get me a clear answer on this and tell me when I'll be able to use GPS mode on my Inspire here?

2015-8-29
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's not DJI you need to convince. It's the FAA: https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=83267
2015-8-29
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not a chance in this world would they ok that request.  Just live with it for now.
2015-8-29
Use props
alan
lvl.2

United States

The FAA has nothing to do with it. DJI simply blocked some of its products' GPS. They have plenty of others that can fly here and could easily reverse the system any time they want. The purpose of my post is to complain to DJI, not argue about it. Can't you see the absurdity of this?  I have 2 NAZA equipped ships that fly here with GPS engaged and a tinfoil covered Inspire that can only fly in ATTi mode.  

I am writing here to elicit an answer from DJI. If my dealer is correct, what is holding up giving us the abiliy to sign a waiver with DJI or whatever else is necessary?
2015-8-29
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

alan@goldsteinp Posted at 2015-8-29 23:11
The FAA has nothing to do with it. DJI simply blocked some of its products' GPS. They have plenty of ...

DJI is complying with the FAA rules, it's as simple as that.
2015-8-29
Use props
alan
lvl.2

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-8-30 00:01
DJI is complying with the FAA rules, it's as simple as that.

I don't think you are hearing me about what my dealer told me. I'm not asking for your opinion,I am asking for an official response from DJI.
2015-8-30
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

alan@goldsteinp Posted at 2015-8-30 08:30
I don't think you are hearing me about what my dealer told me. I'm not asking for your opinion,I am ...

Alan,

When you post in a public forum, you will receive others' opinions.  Telling everyone else, in effect, to shut up so you can receive a private answer from DJI is not only rude, it's pointless.  All that will do is make the conversation about what a poor netizen you are.  DJI has a lengthy history of not answering such inquiries when posted here.

What your dealer may or may not have told you is irrelevant.  All that matters is what DJI says in public.  Until they officially announce something it's not real - and they have announced nothing about this.

And finally - what others have told you in this thread is correct.  The entire Washington DC area has been designated as a no-fly area for UAS by the FAA, and DJI implemented that via GPS so their name doesn't get dragged through the press in connection with future incidents.  If someone overrides or disables their safeguards, the company did their due diligence and the pilot is clearly and solely at fault.  That's how they want it and based on their past practices I would tend not to believe what the dealer may have told you.

2015-8-30
Use props
alan
lvl.2

United States

Statng basically "rules are rules" is not exactly an explanation for why DJI blocked the GPS on these specific models. This restricted zone was meant to be temporary in the first place. There is a long history of opposition to it by general aviation.

Everyone can have an opinion. But I'd prefer to hear opinions about whether what DJI did seems like a reasonable solution for whatever kind of potential problem you can envision. E.g. what are people gong to do with their Phantoms and Inspires in this space that is so potentially bad? These craft were not restricted before last December and the restricted zone has been in place since 2003. Keep in mind that other DJI craft fly in GPS mode here as do craft from other manufacturers. And many craft have no GPS at all.

There are 3 small general aviation airports in this zone and pilots can get permission to fly inside of the zone. So exceptions can also be made for model aircraft. Again... what is the risk if it is not about air safety?  I could take flight training at these airports and solo inside the restricted zone with as few as 15 hours under my belt.  Since there are so few aircraft in this region, flying a model would have very little chance of colliding with an airplane.

Why two different people at my dealer would lie to me about what DJ told them is kind of baffling as what would they gain by telling me this? Instead they could have encouraged me to buy another model in addition the the Inspire that I already had. Instead they discouraged me and advised me to wait a bit.  BTW, this dealer has an exemption from DJI to turn off the GPS restriction in order to test aircraft inside the restricted zone where they are located. So it is easily done on a case by case basis. I do not believe they needed to go to the FAA for this exemption.

The man who crashed his friend's Phantom onto the WH lawn still has his job at Geospatial Intelligence, didn't lose security clearance and was not prosecuted. He could have been fined up to $1100. So it obviously is not seen as much of a threat.
2015-8-30
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

There is an application form you can now submit to DJI to get temporary No Fly Zone removed from your aircraft.  If you look up Heliguy who is a DJI Authorised dealer in the UK they were advertising this for commercial operators.
2015-8-30
Use props
alan
lvl.2

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-8-30 15:29
There is an application form you can now submit to DJI to get temporary No Fly Zone removed from you ...

Thanks. I found it. Yes it seems that at least one person on this forum knew that this is something DJI actually has discretion over.

Restricted zone override

It says that this is a temporary solution until a permanent web based solution is made available by DJI.

So it is possible to do this very easily and DJI does have a "temporary" system in place. But can it be used in the US inside the Washington DC restricted area?  (Away from airports.)

Can anyone at DJI answer this?  Why is there information about this in the UK but not in the US?

BTW, PeteGould... I have nothing against people posting their views, but actual facts about what DJI plans to do is all I am really after on this issue.
2015-8-31
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

There are millions of airports, they can't add them all, only the ones they deem major. Hacking it and downgrading to previous or custom firmware is likely the only way you're going to fly an inspire in a gps blocked nfz.
2015-8-31
Use props
alan
lvl.2

United States

sultangris01@gm Posted at 2015-8-31 18:27
There are millions of airports, they can't add them all, only the ones they deem major. Hacking it a ...

I'm not talking about airports and I think you missed most of the discussion too. But I still value your opinion and will avoid the millions of airports.
2015-8-31
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

sultangris01@gm Posted at 2015-8-31 23:27
There are millions of airports, they can't add them all, only the ones they deem major. Hacking it a ...

From what I understand, there is a temporary fix from DJI, subject to providing the evidence that you are a commercial operator and have the appropriate authority to fly in that NoFly Zone from the local ATC.

You will see from the Heliguy, website this is a temporary fix with a more permanent solution to come.

See link:
http://www.heliguy.com/blog/2015/08/19/dji-go-no-fly-zones/

Information you need to submit :

You must provide a written statement that you are legally allowed to fly in the intended area.The ID of the person signing the document must be provided.The disclaimer form must be signed.The NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) must be signed.You must provide the serial number of the aircraft.Name and address of the area to be unlocked.Intended date and time of flight.

2015-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules