AEB Exposure Ordering
502 9 2023-7-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eric-NTX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 56096 ft
United States

I would like to request a change to the AEB exposure ordering. Please have the drone shoot the photo sequence from darkest to lightest, or lightest to darkest. It doesn't really matter which direction.
Shooting the bracketed photos in sequential exposure order really helps when it comes time to selecting & merging a whole day's worth of bracketed photos.

2023-7-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Eric-NTX. Can you please confirm if this request is for the DJI Air 2s drone?
2023-7-24
Use props
Eric-NTX
lvl.1
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 7-24 19:09
Hi, Eric-NTX. Can you please confirm if this request is for the DJI Air 2s drone?

That is the drone I have (Air 2S). That said, this is a feature that is very commonly requested in HDR photography and could easily apply globally to all drone models in my opinion.

The software is already commanding the drone to shoot a series of 3 or 5 images in a pre-determined EV order. It shouldn't be too hard to revise the sequence order so it's visually sorted better in our photo merging software. For example:

-2, -1, 0, +1, +2

And while we're at it, let's have an option to adjust the EV increment. I know others have requested it already, but I'll vote for it as well.

Magic Lantern improved my old DSLR by adding these features that Canon didn't see fit to incorporate from the factory.
https://www.hdrshooter.com/2015/02/13/hdr-in-magic-
lantern/

Sequencing.png
2023-7-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you stack the images by capture time and then  select all and press command+shift+h and they will all be merged correctly.
2023-7-24
Use props
Eric-NTX
lvl.1
United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-24 23:21
If you stack the images by capture time and then  select all and press command+shift+h and they will all be merged correctly.

Thank you - I did try that (selecting all photos from the last shoot), and it keeps saying "Photo merge error - Unable to merge photos. Not enough matching photos for merging." I'm using Windows Lightroom Classic, for reference.

I shot 7 images last night, each comprising of 3 AEB photos, for a total of 21 images, from very different vantage points. This is what it's failing on. I did scroll through them to make sure there wasn't any straggler single-shot images in there.

I was able to select each series of 3 photos and run the Ctrl+Shift+H command to merge each shot location, but that gets back to issue of my original post. You have to either count the photos, or visually identify the next group of photos. Easy enough with 3 bracketed photos, a little harder with 5. And this can get confusing as lightroom shifts the thumbnails down each time it completes processing of the HDR image. And it's compounded by the fact the EV sepping is so small, which can make visually identifying the next group of photos more challenging if the vantage point is very close to the last shot.

By the way, I love my drone. This is my first. I mainly bought it for landscape photography as a hobbyist. I've worked with a lot of bracketed photos in the past, and this is a feature I'd really like to see updated (revising the shot order and EV stepping) to make it more user friendly and more powerful.
2023-7-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Eric-NTX Posted at 7-25 06:05
Thank you - I did try that (selecting all photos from the last shoot), and it keeps saying "Photo merge error - Unable to merge photos. Not enough matching photos for merging." I'm using Windows Lightroom Classic, for reference.

I shot 7 images last night, each comprising of 3 AEB photos, for a total of 21 images, from very different vantage points. This is what it's failing on. I did scroll through them to make sure there wasn't any straggler single-shot images in there.

You need to stack them first then you can merge them all in one go.

Photo -> Stacking -> Auto Stack by Capture time.   Set a suitable period of time the first time you use it,  after that it will remember.

You should them see stacks of 3 or 5 images - little square top left with a number on each thumbnail.

Select the stacks to merge and I think the short cut is Ctrl Shift H on windows.   The Shift sends the job to the queue to be processed rather than popping up the dialog.
The shot order makes no difference to how lightroom merges them it reads that from the photo exif.

The 5 AEB shots so far Ive found no advantage over them to the 3,  but in the right extreme conditions that might be the case, but for the landscapes I take Ive stopped using it.  

Selectable EV range has been requested many times on the forum but so far its not appeared on any drone.  

2023-7-25
Use props
Eric-NTX
lvl.1
United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-25 06:13
You need to stack them first then you can merge them all in one go.

Photo -> Stacking -> Auto Stack by Capture time.   Set a suitable period of time the first time you use it,  after that it will remember.

Ahh, thank you! I wasn't aware of the Stacking feature and wrongfully assumed you were referring to simply sorting via Capture Time. I appreciate it - that certainly helps the Lightroom users.
2023-7-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Eric-NTX Posted at 7-25 06:30
Ahh, thank you! I wasn't aware of the Stacking feature and wrongfully assumed you were referring to simply sorting via Capture Time. I appreciate it - that certainly helps the Lightroom users.

Yep,   stacking is a god send for AEB use,   

PS if you plan to merge 3x3 panos from the drone in Lightroom,  before you take the shot make sure the camera gimbal is at 0 degrees.  If you dont Lightroom makes a real mess of the stitching.
2023-7-25
Use props
Eric-NTX
lvl.1
United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-25 06:37
Yep,   stacking is a god send for AEB use,   

PS if you plan to merge 3x3 panos from the drone in Lightroom,  before you take the shot make sure the camera gimbal is at 0 degrees.  If you dont Lightroom makes a real mess of the stitching.

Thank you - I did notice the panos were wonky and wasn't sure why. I appreciate it!
2023-7-25
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Eric-NTX Posted at 7-24 20:02
That is the drone I have (Air 2S). That said, this is a feature that is very commonly requested in HDR photography and could easily apply globally to all drone models in my opinion.

The software is already commanding the drone to shoot a series of 3 or 5 images in a pre-determined EV order. It shouldn't be too hard to revise the sequence order so it's visually sorted better in our photo merging software. For example:

Hi, Eric-NTX. Thank you for confirming. We'll take it as suggestion of yours and we'll forward it to our relevant team for its potential. Thank you so much for your continued support.
2023-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules