Vertical Video
3374 4 2023-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JustusLM
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1579888 ft
Germany

With the release of the Air 3 came the introduction of a new feature, vertical video without rotating the camera, but using the full height of the sensor. I think this is a great feature as social media are an increasingly popular use for drones, and this doesn't require a smaller camera and unconventional gimbal setup like the Mini 3 has.

My question is: Will this feature be added to the Mavic 3 series via a firmware update?

This just makes sense to me to do, because the Mavic 3's main camera with its large sensor is  perfectly suited to get very good footage in this configuration. Theoretically, it even has enough resolution to be able to shoot in 4k vertically (which isn't possible right now with cropping in post). The tele camera(s) could still get 2.7k like the Air 3, which is also an improvement but less important than the main camera in my opinion.
2023-7-25
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

The air3 just crop to get vertical. You can do that in post on any drones. Idk why folks are so into vertical shooting. You are cropping out a lot of info and cant see the surrounding. There was a time when people would record on their phone vertical and get bash in the comments that they are idiot and don't know how to hold their phone cause you are suppose to hold it sideways to get full views and not hold it vertical lmao. How time changes.
2023-7-25
Use props
MetalGearLuis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49734 ft
United States

A vertical (9x16) Guide Layout would be a better idea, and seems a simple software implementation...
2023-7-25
Use props
JustusLM
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1579888 ft
Germany

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 7-25 16:29
The air3 just crop to get vertical. You can do that in post on any drones. Idk why folks are so into vertical shooting. You are cropping out a lot of info and cant see the surrounding. There was a time when people would record on their phone vertical and get bash in the comments that they are idiot and don't know how to hold their phone cause you are suppose to hold it sideways to get full views and not hold it vertical lmao. How time changes.
Either the marketing on the website is quite misleading, or the Air 3 doesn't "just crop" to shoot vertically.

When I shoot normal horizontal video, the camera crops away at the top and bottom to get a 16:9 image from the 4:3 sensor. If I then crop away from the sides in post I'm only using a tiny section of the sensor, cropped on all sides. The website of the Air 3 at least makes it look as though it uses the full height of the sensor, so instead of cropping from all sides, it only crops left and right, using 0.5625 tines as much area as horizontal video, rather than the ~0.3164 times as much area I get from cropping down 16:9 video (which, by no coincidence, is 16/9 times more).

As for the reason to shoot vertically, a lot more people use phones to consume content now. Vertical video was a sin when it would mostly be watched on PC, but on many social media, that's no longer the case, so producing content better suited to phones can make sense now.
2023-7-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, JustusLM. Thank you for reaching out. Currently, we don't have any news for the next firmware upgrade for the Mavic 3 Vertical video capability. However, we will consider this as a suggestion and refer it to our designated team. To check for the latest DJI news and updates please go to the DJI official website at dji.com. We appreciate your feedback and support. Have a great day ahead.
2023-7-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules