Im sure this has been asked before but ...
747 12 2023-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mr Grumpy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I've recently moved from using DroneLogBook to AirData to record flights and maintenance, it seems a far better product.  But I noticed that when I migrated my flight data from the DJI cloud, it also brought with it a low res copy of every photo taken.  How can I turn the feature off so the drone does not share imagery to the DJI cloud?

2023-7-27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Regretfully, we don't have the option to turn off this feature. If pictures are taken on the flight, the App will automatically choose up to four pictures and show the thumbnails. These thumbnails are the transmitted image captured when the picture or video is taken. The photos in Moments cannot be exported and deleted. Hope this helps. Have a nice day ahead!
2023-7-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Shoot AEB and then the drone wont upload the shots.  
2023-7-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-28 02:47

What do you mean by AEB? Bracketing?
2023-7-28
Use props
Mr Grumpy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-28 02:37
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Regretfully, we don't have the option to turn off this feature. If pictures are taken on the flight, the App will automatically choose up to four pictures and show the thumbnails. These thumbnails are the transmitted image captured when the picture or video is taken. The photos in Moments cannot be exported and deleted. Hope this helps. Have a nice day ahead!

Hi,  unfortunately you have not answered my question.  I appreciate that the drone/controller takes a thumbnail and whilst this is OK, transmitting it back to the DJI cloud is not correct.  WHY do DJI need these images?  I would like to have the ability to turn off the automatic sending of my images (I own the copyright) to the DJI Cloud where they may be used / copied without my permission.
2023-7-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mr Grumpy Posted at 7-28 10:24
Hi,  unfortunately you have not answered my question.  I appreciate that the drone/controller takes a thumbnail and whilst this is OK, transmitting it back to the DJI cloud is not correct.  WHY do DJI need these images?  I would like to have the ability to turn off the automatic sending of my images (I own the copyright) to the DJI Cloud where they may be used / copied without my permission.

I appreciate that the drone/controller takes a thumbnail and whilst this is OK, transmitting it back to the DJI cloud is not correct.
If it's so important to you, the solution is simple.
Don't upload your precious flight data to DJI's server.

WHY do DJI need these images?
They don't, but the thumbnails can be handy for you to identify which flight the data belongs to.

I would like to have the ability to turn off the automatic sending of my images (I own the copyright) to the DJI Cloud where they may be used / copied without my permission.
Already explained for you and if you think anyone is going to use your precious thumbnail images, maybe you should look at some and see how tiny they are.

Are you sure that every photo taken is in your flight data?
I've only been able to see four for each flight.

2023-7-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-28 04:57
What do you mean by AEB? Bracketing?

Its one of the photo modes in the list,  AEB stands for Auto Exposure Bracketing.
2023-7-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 7-28 02:47

Not sure where you got that idea, but it's not true.
Shoot AEB all you like and you'll still have 4 thumbnail images appended to each flight record.
2023-7-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 7-28 23:43
Not sure where you got that idea, but it's not true.
Shoot AEB all you like and you'll still have 4 thumbnail images appended to each flight record.

I dont,    and it really annoys me.   Go4 used to do it OK but since mostly flying with the Fly app it doesnt work.
2023-7-29
Use props
Mr Grumpy
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Possibly a bit of an aggressive reply, but I respect your opinion.  

In order to sync with 3rd party apps like Airdata and DroneLogBook (to name but two) you need to upload to the DJI Cloud.  I take your point about identifying the flights, but commercial operators like my company are concerned about imagery and telemetry being shared.  In recent times the US Army banned DJI being used because they feel it is too big a security risk for the Army. The reason for this is that DJI drones connect to computer servers in China and send location information and could potentially share sensitive data (such as imagery) about army bases and military installation.  The British Army and UK Ministry of Defence has similar concerns about security risks of using DJI drones for aerial filming and photography on their sites around the UK so now have prohibited DJI.

If it were possible to turn off the ability to transmit images to the DJI cloud then probably the case for using DJI in military environments is improved.
2023-7-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Mr Grumpy Posted at 7-29 01:35
Possibly a bit of an aggressive reply, but I respect your opinion.  

In order to sync with 3rd party apps like Airdata and DroneLogBook (to name but two) you need to upload to the DJI Cloud.  I take your point about identifying the flights, but commercial operators like my company are concerned about imagery and telemetry being shared.  In recent times the US Army banned DJI being used because they feel it is too big a security risk for the Army. The reason for this is that DJI drones connect to computer servers in China and send location information and could potentially share sensitive data (such as imagery) about army bases and military installation.  The British Army and UK Ministry of Defence has similar concerns about security risks of using DJI drones for aerial filming and photography on their sites around the UK so now have prohibited DJI.

The reason for this is that DJI drones connect to computer servers in China and send location information and could potentially share sensitive data (such as imagery) about army bases and military installation.  The British Army and UK Ministry of Defence has similar concerns about security risks of using DJI drones for aerial filming and photography on their sites around the UK so now have prohibited DJI.
It's hard to see what this has to do with your concerns.
DJI drones don't connect to DJI servers and the military concerns are overblown and mostly political.
If you don't want DJI to see your flight data, it's the easiest thing to keep it to private.
And if you still need to share your data with Airdata and trust them, you can manually upload to them without sending them to DJI first.
But if trusting DJI is such a problem, why isn't it with AIrdata?

If it were possible to turn off the ability to transmit images to the DJI cloud then probably the case for using DJI in military environments is improved.

I can't understand your selective concern.
You don't mind sending your flight data to DJI, but object to 4 tiny thumbnail images being included?
What could possibly be in those thumbnails to cause such concern?

2023-7-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

We totally understand your request. We will coordinate this feedback of yours to our relevant team for attention. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-7-30
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mr Grumpy Posted at 7-29 01:35
The British Army and UK Ministry of Defence has similar concerns about security risks of using DJI drones for aerial filming and photography on their sites around the UK so now have prohibited DJI. If it were possible to turn off the ability to transmit images to the DJI cloud then probably the case for using DJI in military environments is improved.

"If it were possible to turn off the ability to transmit images to the DJI cloud then probably the case for using DJI in military environments is improved."

I am puzzled........ whilst possbly not addressing governmental concerns isn't the simple answer to this problem for private individuals.........don't upload flight logs to ANY "cloud" ....... full stop?
2023-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules