Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stephentaber
lvl.4
Flight distance : 901404 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi,

Took delivery of my Air 3 yesterday and got it out for a half hour test flight.

I am a long standing Dronelink user, and in the 4 years I have used Dronelink I have never ever had a repeatable flight line up as well as my quick test this morning. I assume this is becuase Dronelink is a remote stick type setup, where as DJI waypoints upload to the drone. The DJI waypoint feature could be amazing for me personally. It definitely feels 'lite' in it's options compared with DR. But the actual basic funtion of flying the same flight multipe times as closley as possible already apperars superior.

The one absolute killer for me is there appears to be no way of backing up waypoint missions? So I could be 9 months into a 12 month project and if my controller gets damaged, stolen or bricks itself with a software update... I loose all my waypoint data? Really DJI?

Does anyone know of a way to dig into the file structure and grab a copy of the saved waypont missions? Not ideal, but would at least have a backup if the worst happened.

Thanks

2023-7-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's surely time that DJI gave us an export to SD card feature for that.   On IOS and the Go App at lest the waypoint.db was accessible but alas not anymore.
2023-7-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

I'm sorry for the inconvenience Stephentaber. I will take your words as a suggestion and get this referred to the relevant team. Please check the DJI official website for future updates and news at dji.com. Thank you for your understanding and patience. Have a great day ahead.
2023-7-28
Use props
Stephentaber
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is a very simple reasonable request, I am not asking for anything impossible like a 12k video option via firmware, simply a way to backup small data files. Waypoint/repeat flights are part of my business and I can't risk loosing data during a project. I can see a situation where I fly both systems for a while until DJI waypoints gets some updates. Now I have dug deeper I see a lot of posts along these lines when the Mavic 3 gained Waypoints, hopefully something can be done. If anyone knows a way to access files on a DJI RC2 I would be interested. There is information out there how to tap into the original RC, but I think the file structure/set up is a bit different on the new RC2 that shipped with the Air3.
2023-7-29
Use props
FlyHighX
lvl.2
United States

Stephentaber@me.com Posted at 7-29 23:07
It is a very simple reasonable request, I am not asking for anything impossible like a 12k video option via firmware, simply a way to backup small data files. Waypoint/repeat flights are part of my business and I can't risk loosing data during a project. I can see a situation where I fly both systems for a while until DJI waypoints gets some updates. Now I have dug deeper I see a lot of posts along these lines when the Mavic 3 gained Waypoints, hopefully something can be done. If anyone knows a way to access files on a DJI RC2 I would be interested. There is information out there how to tap into the original RC, but I think the file structure/set up is a bit different on the new RC2 that shipped with the Air3.

YES!

This is SO CRUCIAL for professionals and should be such a simple feature for DJI to implement.  We are still running our Mavic 2 pro fleet for the simple reason that it is so convoluted if not impossible to transfer waypoint missions from device to device.  Like many others who use our drones commercially, we have ongoing commercial projects that will outlast the life of the drone.  Being able to transfer missions from one drone to another is such a basic necessity.
2023-7-30
Use props
Wyldwestaz10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1099068 ft
United States

I realize this is older post and I’m not using the RC controller which sounds like what you’re using. However, with my IPad 11 Pro it has everything in my Apple Files app pertaining to the DJI app. I can duplicate or copy any of my waypoint missions from the DJI Fly Wayline-Mission folder to a Folder I created called Back-Up. I would think the RC controller would have a similar files app. As far as Dronelink, I’ve been using it for  three years and I have not had any issues with my plans being precise and repeatable every time with my MA2.  I have about 2,280 minutes, about (38 hours with 840 missions so a bit baffling. Anyway, this is a DJI forum so not going to get into a deep discussion as this is not the place. Bottom line I have an easy way to save any DJI waypoint mission. Also incase you don’t know, you can duplicate the DJI mission and use the Litchi converter to convert into a Litchi CSV file. Then import the CSV file into Dronelink. Now you can run the virtual drone mission preview and see what it will look like. Some settings like speed will change to default 10 mph but it will fly the preview as you set it up for the most part. Great way to check before actually running the DJi mission. If you haven’t ever used any of the Litchi Utilities by Wes Barris you may want to look at those. I can convert in literally about 1 minutes so it’s not a long process and you can do other things as well. Anyway. Good luck and enjoy.
1-8 12:12
Use props
Stephentaber
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wyldwestaz10 Posted at 1-8 12:12
I realize this is older post and I’m not using the RC controller which sounds like what you’re using. However, with my IPad 11 Pro it has everything in my Apple Files app pertaining to the DJI app. I can duplicate or copy any of my waypoint missions from the DJI Fly Wayline-Mission folder to a Folder I created called Back-Up. I would think the RC controller would have a similar files app. As far as Dronelink, I’ve been using it for  three years and I have not had any issues with my plans being precise and repeatable every time with my MA2.  I have about 2,280 minutes, about (38 hours with 840 missions so a bit baffling. Anyway, this is a DJI forum so not going to get into a deep discussion as this is not the place. Bottom line I have an easy way to save any DJI waypoint mission. Also incase you don’t know, you can duplicate the DJI mission and use the Litchi converter to convert into a Litchi CSV file. Then import the CSV file into Dronelink. Now you can run the virtual drone mission preview and see what it will look like. Some settings like speed will change to default 10 mph but it will fly the preview as you set it up for the most part. Great way to check before actually running the DJi mission. If you haven’t ever used any of the Litchi Utilities by Wes Barris you may want to look at those. I can convert in literally about 1 minutes so it’s not a long process and you can do other things as well. Anyway. Good luck and enjoy.

Hi, Thanks for your detailed reply.

Interesting the file structure is available to view and backup on the DJI IOS app but not on the RC2 (I have found no way to access the file structure on the RC2) I may even purchase the RC-N2 just to have access to the waypoint files.

As you say the Dronelink discussion isn't for here, but overall I stand by my early experience, both work well, but if you are lining up footage for a transition the DJI footage I find to be generally more accurate than DL, but DL is far superior in the planning.

Thank you again for the reply.

1-23 06:39
Use props
Wyldwestaz10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1099068 ft
United States

Understood. Whatever you can get to work is what matters. Enjoy.
1-24 09:17
Use props
RobertoMartins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 476434 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Stephentaber@me.com Posted at 1-23 06:39
Hi, Thanks for your detailed reply.

Interesting the file structure is available to view and backup on the DJI IOS app but not on the RC2 (I have found no way to access the file structure on the RC2) I may even purchase the RC-N2 just to have access to the waypoint files.

https://youtu.be/rykqdTXFR8Y?si=Wk5wc9xPOn2jFS_J

https://www.waypointmap.com/Home/Tutorial

I think this might help. It even shows how to locate files in RC2 through Windows.
1-24 10:56
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules