Failsafe braking testing, an idea, do you think it'll work?
630 2 2023-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There are two interesting threads, on here and Mavicpilots, relating to the same incident, a disconnection at low battery and the subsequent loss of the drone, a Mini 2. They ask some interesting questions about failsafe behaviour.

One of those questions amounts to
"On disconnection how long will a mini 2 take to brake from 9.4m/s to 0 m/s and how far will it travel in that time? "

9.4m/s being "moving 21mph forward in "normal" mode at full throttle (and zero elevator / vertical stick)".

Someone tested braking distances via 'speeds runs' and switching the controller off, their conclusion was that braking is quite severe and the distances small to quite small but the tests where 'subjective'.

I like these sorts of puzzles and, with regards to the above question, it has just occurred to me, "Set failsafe to hover and, for each flight mode, switch the controller off during speed runs, wait 10 or 15 seconds and then switch the controller back on.".
Irrespective of whether or not the disconnections split the .txt flight log into separate parts I think the drone's position at disconnection and reconnection should be recorded and the distance travelled during braking obtainable.

Question, do you think it will work?
2023-7-30
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well it has been tested, it works.  For some reason * the drone was slow in P mode, it might have been a bit windy aloft. So the speed runs were made in sports mode. The red shaded areas are the disconnected periods, the white spaces are just abbreviations of the log.

I am a bit surprised by the distances travelled during the disconnection AND the differences between those distances.

* Just occurred to me it might have been because of gimbal tilt but I think there was also wind.

Failsafe braking tests sports mode_csv.png
2023-7-31
Use props
Venture
lvl.3

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-31 07:25
Well it has been tested, it works.  For some reason * the drone was slow in P mode, it might have been a bit windy aloft. So the speed runs were made in sports mode. The red shaded areas are the disconnected periods, the white spaces are just abbreviations of the log.

I am a bit surprised by the distances travelled during the disconnection AND the differences between those distances.

Now That's RIght on-point and darned Useful.
for my flight and I can imagine many others to come.
It might  even help resolve some previously un-solveable "flyaways."
(As in saving  DJI some insurance costs, as well as having happy pilots.)

Thank you Sean-bumble-bee !!!
2023-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules