DJI Action 4 Review: What's Actually Better?
12Next >
4603 62 2023-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

6315EC77-2F18-4458-8598-7721F7157961.jpeg
2023-8-2
Use props
TechSportsLove
lvl.3
United States

Thank you for such an honest and detailed review! Now, I'm considering sticking with my OA3 (which I bought in April 2023) and waiting for the OA5.
2023-8-2
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

Indeed, one of the best informative reviews in the sea of videos available.
I am mostly interested in differences with A3 to decide whether to upgrade or not. Problem is the big price increase. It is relatively a lot of money to add even if I can sell my A3 at a reasonable price.
I also enjoyed the review below too. A4 seems better than A3 in some low light situations, as advertised by DJI.

I find this one from Japan quite interesting. Even without English talking, you can understand the settings. I cannot see much differences between A3 and A4 even in typical walking in low light test (18:11~).

Something I noticed also in several reviews: the FOV  of A4 seems slightly narrower than A3, but very small difference. Ex: look at 18:12 in the Japanese review and in the other review from 12:26, when it changes from A3 to A4.
2023-8-2
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

''Something I noticed also in several reviews: the FOV of A4 seems slightly narrower than A3, but very small difference. Ex: look at 18:12 in the Japanese review and in the other review from 12:26, when it changes from A3 to A4."

Yes in both videos A4 looks slightly narrower vs A3
2023-8-2
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thank you for such an ‘upfront’ discussion. I was a bit suspicious of the timing and still wonder whether really, is this a 3 designed better?  I’m not going to bite at the moment because the Action 3 disappointed me; especially in comparison to the Hero 11 in the quality of picture. It just doesn’t get there for me.

Examples from most videos that I see taken on the Action 3 look good, but lack the dynamic range of the GoPro unless the video doesn't contain a wide dynamic range so that results then look similar.

So, this video has really helped me in my decision to sit it out and wait for the FB’s to waft away and leave a little more realism.
2023-8-3
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
China

thanks for sharing.
1.remote control is able to turn on Action4 if you enable Bluetooth Remote Controller WAKE UP CAMERA in the setting page.
2.the youtuber mainly uses 4k60, saddly cannot benefit from the low light enhancement.

2023-8-3
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What was wrong with it?
2023-8-3
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

Arpettaz Posted at 8-3 03:25
DCRainmaker’s GoPro bias stood out like a sore thumb. This was not an objective impartial review IMO

He does seem to favour the GoPro but then in other reviews I've seen I also favour the daytime footage from the GoPro. DJI certainly has the edge at night. What threw me though was the stabilisation. Everything I've seen so far, led me to believe that rocksteady was in many cases performing better than hyper smooth.

That being said, if buying one today, the Action 4 is what I would get. It's better in the ways that will make filming more enjoyable, quicker and easier, and of course means not having to deal with GoPro customer service.

Given there's a new GoPro to be announced in September though, people might be wise to wait if they can, and see what the Hero 12 has to offer.

IMO the Action 4 is what DJI should have released last year to compete with the Hero 11. Especially given that both had the same launched, they were always immediately going to be compared.
Overall I thought he made some good points. He comes down too harsh on the Action 4 which does make it sound a little more biased. I don't think it's intentinoal though, it's just easiler to criticise, easpecially if having high expectations.
2023-8-3
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The horizon levelling surprised me tbh. I thought that might have been fixed, but I think that it might be something to do with the way it was designed.

Footage so far mostly looks good from the Action 4 and is better than GoPro in low light. The difference in most videos is surprising. Not so much has been said anywhere so far about audio going in from a mic.

I was perfectly happy to wait this one out myself, but I’m lucky to be able to review gear for a local camera shop and I am having one bought for me to look at for them. Looking forward to this one because I don’t think that there is now a clear cut difference between GoPro and Action.

I like to see reviews that show both views because each have their merits, but I found this one useful. You can take out what you want from them really, but just nice and refreshing from the more usual gushing reviews when something is released.

I agree that the 4 is probably what the 3 really should have been but one thing about GoPro comparisons is that we are comparing the Action 4 with the old GoPro. Another month and the 12 might have for instance, a one inch sensor.... then the 4 doesn't look quite as tastey perhaps. GoPro, in spite of their financial problems have stayed right out there with each new model. You never know, we might get a surprise.....

2023-8-3
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Dynamic range GP - true
Horizon levelling GP - true
Stabilization GP - looks better

Low light A4 - looks better
Invisible selfie A4 - is better

Wrist bluetooth remote is a + and -
+ GPS data and overlays are finally available for this cam

-1 Added wrist BT item is required and is a separate added cost
-2 Insta has GPS data and overlays when paired to phone app
-3 GP has GPS in-built

2023-8-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very detailed and unbiased review.  
2023-8-3
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Arpettaz Posted at 8-3 03:25
DCRainmaker’s GoPro bias stood out like a sore thumb. This was not an objective impartial review IMO

I have to agree, and this is a constant with him. The op here has spent 12 months trying to knock what is now a really good product, he has picked a review that first he said he wouldn’t consider, but it very obvious the sheep are only tooo willing to follow . Why won’t they wait for an unpaid review before commenting.  Trolls on board I think..
2023-8-3
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

10-Bit Posted at 8-3 09:50
Dynamic range GP - true
Horizon levelling GP - true
Stabilization GP - looks better

There you go about insta , there is no comparison totally different cameras one is an action camera one is a gimmick camera. Nobody cares
2023-8-3
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

2023-8-3
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

One different review and it's wrong? I found his view very interesting along with all the positive ones. Calling people sheep and trolls is childish nonsense. People are paying attention to everyone's' views and that's just one of them.

Most of the reviews are looking good and picture quality in some of them is stunning. One (sponsored) reviewer videod Disneyland and it really captured the feel of the place and I was REALLY pleased to see another (sponsored) reviewer, up in the Lake District, VLOGGING as many would use this camera like this! It looked great.
2023-8-3
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Iancraig10 Posted at 8-3 13:19
One different review and it’s wrong? I found his view very interesting along with all the positive ones. Calling people sheep and trolls is childish nonsense. People are paying attention to everyone’s’ views and that’s just one of them.

Your perspective on this is spot on
GP12 will be independently reviewed next month

2023-8-3
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The GoPro release is the one we need to watch because the A4 is currently being compared to last year’s camera.

The shop is providing me with an A4 so I'm looking forward to comparing with my 3.

2023-8-3
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Iancraig10 Posted at 8-3 13:36
The GoPro release is the one we need to watch because the A4 is currently being compared to last year’s camera.

The shop is providing me with an A4 so I'm looking forward to comparing with my 3.

Yes 100% correct about the GP11.  Looking forward to your comparison.
2023-8-3
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think that many have missed the fact that GoPro have been extremely innovative through most of their models and pushing the electronics so hard has caused many problems but also paved the way for other companies off the back of their cameras.

This sudden appearance of the A4 has me reminded of the Hero 9 to 10 time. This could backfire on DJI when the 12 arrives.
2023-8-3
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Think this video from a much more experienced you tuber really shows just how much better the DR is on the A4 great to see an honest review.
2023-8-3
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

Agree that GP pushed the action cam market
DJI jumped in - Insta jumped in

No problem mixing cams - GP Insta DJI
Same with Sony Nikon Canon Olympus
Same with Apple Google

So am ok with any brand - so long as they are good
2023-8-3
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

10-Bit Posted at 8-3 13:31
Your perspective on this is spot on

It must be heartbreaking for you, you now have to wait for go pro 12 to see just how good  A4 is. What a joker you really are
2023-8-3
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

10-Bit Posted at 8-3 14:01
Agree that GP pushed the action cam market
DJI jumped in - Insta jumped in

Same for me. Make of camera isn’t that important to me either tbh. The biggest problem for me is having different makes so that switches and functions are in totally different places. The switch to the Hero 7 I think it was and then the 9 felt very odd.

I really like the 4 interface being right in line with the 3 so they’re not much chance of confusion there!

DJI are pretty good at getting cameras out. Mine is being shipped on 4th which means 5th or 6th to arrive. Looking forward to this one……. Seems like an A3 on pills!
2023-8-3
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Rumors says GP12 will have 1 inch sensor and 6K or 8K sensor. If it will have 1 inch sensor the price will go up a lot compared to earlier versions.
That's why OA4 is more expensive, since it have bigger sensor than OA3.

I just wish my city was not like an "amish" city, have been looking to buy OA4 locally but none of the big electronic companies have it in stock so had to order from the south, and that takes many days.
2023-8-3
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

GP12 with 6K or 8K seems like overkill
Will lead to overheating and not really asked for
1" though will be very good

But while others may live in or around big cities
You have peace and quiet and tranquilty
So + and -
2023-8-3
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

Another review I found interesting.
It seems to confirm that with 4K60, A4 is not great in low light (and stab was struggling). In this thread DJI confirmed that "4k60, saddly cannot benefit from the low light enhancement".
In his "don't like" list is (at 12:33~) the turn on time was inconsistent, ranging from super quick to ~8s. This caught my attention because I got the same thing with A3, which becomes worse when using "image enhanced" setting. I had reported it in A3 forum, here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=289781
2023-8-3
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

OA4 has smaller 4K @4:3 dimensions than OA3
OA4 has smaller photo dimensions than OA3
OA4 has less time interval choices for TimeLapse than OA3
OA4 doesn't have HDR (at least DJI doesn't list it on the specs sheet)

I'm sure DJI could add the sharpening and noise options to the OA3 plus giro data but why would they when you can buy a new camera for 70 bucks more to have it?

2023-8-3
Use props
soamjena
lvl.2
United Arab Emirates

osmonauta Posted at 8-3 19:05
OA4 has smaller 4K @4:3 dimensions than OA3
OA4 has smaller photo dimensions than OA3
OA4 has less time interval choices for TimeLapse than OA3

Oh wow Action 4 doesnt have HDR ?
2023-8-3
Use props
10-Bit
lvl.4
United States

DJI-ytao Posted at 8-3 02:08
thanks for sharing.
1.remote control is able to turn on Action4 if you enable Bluetooth Remote Controller WAKE UP CAMERA in the setting page.
2.the youtuber mainly uses 4k60, saddly cannot benefit from the low light enhancement.

Hi, Yaman-P and many other observant Youtube reviewers have commented about A4 vs GP stabilization in low light. Can you explain why "4k60, saddly cannot benefit from the low light enhancement" - even with its much larger sensor size.
Thx

2023-8-3
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The quality of the first wave of reviews has been really good. Enjoyed them all in a binge yesterday.

@soamjena, I don’t think that the hdr has been felt to be necessary with the larger sensor which allows for a slightly better dynamic range. TBH, I was never really convinced by the hdr options the 3.

The overheating looks like it might be an issue for some. High specs seems to equally high heat.

My own feeling is that sharpening still looks slightly ramped up on a lot of videos; especial on small detail like leaves. One guy zoomed right in on a GoPro capture and and Action 4 and the 4 did show a slightly harder look. Perhaps everyone is leaving sharpness settings for the time being as it is but maybe it will soften via the firmware to make detail look more natural.
2023-8-3
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

10-Bit Posted at 8-3 14:44
GP12 with 6K or 8K seems like overkill
Will lead to overheating and not really asked for
1" though will be very good

That's true, love the quiet environment and nature I have close by.

2023-8-3
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 8-3 14:31
Rumors says GP12 will have 1 inch sensor and 6K or 8K sensor. If it will have 1 inch sensor the price will go up a lot compared to earlier versions.
That's why OA4 is more expensive, since it have bigger sensor than OA3.

Can you order from DJI direct? Mine is on the way from them already.

Try living where I am. Not a single shop. A pub, a school and a church. That's it!
2023-8-3
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

In one review video I heard OA4 doesn't have HDR setting, but ordinary video is like HDR. So maybe it is the Enhanced video we have as a setting in OA3 since the enhanced setting is close to HDR.
If some of you guys remember I did a test with HDR vs Enhanced video setting on OA3 and they came out really close.
2023-8-3
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I never really fully understood the hdr setting, because it doesn’t kick off the hdr settings in my tv. (Full brightness and full contrast) I always wondered whether it just flattened contrast down a bit so allowing us to see more of the highlights, although they were toned down.

With hdr, my tv can be blindingly bright on highlights and jet black on lowlights. Not with Action hdr though...
2023-8-3
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 8-3 23:48
Can you order from DJI direct? Mine is on the way from them already.

Try living where I am. Not a single shop. A pub, a school and a church. That's it!

DJI have a shop in Oslo (capital city) so it is possible to order from they yes. But the mail takes time like 5 days so I will probably get it on Wednesday next week.
2023-8-3
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 8-3 23:52
I never really fully understood the hdr setting, because it doesn’t kick off the hdr settings in my tv. (Full brightness and full contrast) I always wondered whether it just flattened contrast down a bit so allowing us to see more of the highlights, although they were toned down.

With hdr, my tv can be blindingly bright on highlights and jet black on lowlights. Not with Action hdr though...

HDR is a gimmick in my opinion.
I find it better to shoot like -2 EV and brighten shadow in post if needed.
2023-8-3
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 8-3 23:58
HDR is a gimmick in my opinion.
I find it better to shoot like -2 EV and brighten shadow in post if needed.

I agree. If anything, I found it made things flat and not like true hdr that I get on my tv. I do the same kind of thing.

I’ve been using Tamara’s sets of LUTS with my footage and they are really nicely done. They tend to bring brightness levels down but the contrast ratios look really nice.

She also made two very useful enhancement LUTS for sky and foliage. Again, they just make the picture pop beautifully. Well worth using on a lot of footage.

They don’t seem to massively affect rendering time either. Just gives more an impression of hdr with certain types of footage.

She's reproduced them for the Action 4, so Action 3 and Pocket footage match up really well.
2023-8-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 8-4 00:05
I agree. If anything, I found it made things flat and not like true hdr that I get on my tv. I do the same kind of thing.

I’ve been using Tamara’s sets of LUTS with my footage and they are really nicely done. They tend to bring brightness levels down but the contrast ratios look really nice.

HDR on any cameras I have tested is not close to what I consider HDR in photography where you really push the limits to show how our eyes sees the world (or better).

I have seen she have announced a lot of her LUTs but I doesn't buy LUTs since I like to do my little grading myself.
2023-8-4
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
China

10-Bit Posted at 8-3 19:57
Hi, Yaman-P and many other observant Youtube reviewers have commented about A4 vs GP stabilization in low light. Can you explain why "4k60, saddly cannot benefit from the low light enhancement" - even with its much larger sensor size.
Thx

auto low light enhancement is specific feature in Action4.
big sensor contributes all the original footage.
2023-8-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Just heard one paid reviewer said they plan to release a "media mod" to OA4, but not sure how much I can trust this reviewer since he keeps calling it Osmo 4
2023-8-4
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules