The Action 4 has the same Focus issue like the Action 3.
12Next >
7285 46 2023-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JustName
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1420705 ft
  • >>>
Germany

My Action 4 is now here and I was able to do direct comparison tests with the A3. First and second impressions for both videos and photos.... Wow!
At the same setting, the A4 delivers much brighter and better pictures/videos than the A3. The bigger and probably better sensor is noticeable.

BUT! The A4 also seems to be affected by the same problem as the A3. Both at 0.3m and 0.4m, my readjusted A3 delivers a much sharper image than the A4.

The good news is.. it looks like the lens could be adjustable as on the A3.

2023-8-4
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Do you think the focus falls off further back than the A3? Maybe also due to sensor being larger?

I thought I saw it on one of the reviewer's videos where he used it to vlog in the Lake District. (UK) It was more obvious with the background so sharply etched.
2023-8-4
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

In the distance, the A4 seems to deliver quite sharp images, like the A3. I will test a little today and try to adjust the lens the same way. However, the overall image impression is much better.
2023-8-4
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

At 11:56 on this video, I think he is just on the edge of focus…….

My 3 is slightly worse than this, I think so I'm hoping the 4 might have just got those few last inches!!
2023-8-4
Use props
m326
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Not forgetting that the OA3 has a close focus of 0.3m and the OA4 of 0.4m
2023-8-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I actually saw possible focus issue in one scene on one reviewers video, but didn't mention it to you guys before someone else mentioned it.
Also remember that OA4 have bigger sensor = more shallow depth of field.

Check this video at 2:17 on left side trees are soft, right side not.

2023-8-4
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

m326 Posted at 8-4 06:26
Not forgetting that the OA3 has a close focus of 0.3m and the OA4 of 0.4m

Yes, I saw that. I’m thinking that my current A3 isn’t quite so well focused but I think I might be grasping at straws. They're all like that.

0.4m is actually very close. 1foot 3 inches ….. that’s close. But it depends on what is termed as ‘in focus’. My A3 doesn’t focus properly at 1 foot which is roughly what 0.3m is. But that is what they quoted which made me think that it should have suited my purpose.

Looks like it might be similar then, with the 4 then.
2023-8-4
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Yes!
The lens can be adjusted in the same way as on the A3. I just turned mine a little counterclockwise and now have a very good focus, even at 30 cm.

So basically exactly the same problem as with the A3.

But overall, the A4 delivers much better Image then, the A3.
2023-8-4
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wait until that comes out next week!!!
2023-8-4
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

The same operation like on the Action 3

2023-8-4
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, JustName. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to read about this. Can you please provide us with sample photos/videos for further checking? Please upload them to a shareable link like Google Drive or DropBox then please send the link via PM. Thank you.
2023-8-4
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DJI Gamora Posted at 8-4 20:25
Hi, JustName. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to read about this. Can you please provide us with sample photos/videos for further checking? Please upload them to a shareable link like Google Drive or DropBox then please send the link via PM. Thank you.

No need, I have already set my camera correctly.
2023-8-5
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting that at 0:51 on this video, the 3 shows the close focus fuzzy effect that I get and Action 4 looks better. So is it because more light is getting in or focus has been adjusted better on 4.

2023-8-5
Use props
DavideSevilla
lvl.2
Spain

[delete due to two nasty downvotes]
2023-8-5
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DavideSevilla Posted at 8-5 03:07
This is a test of my OA3 used at home in artificial light conditions. The 0.4 - 0.3m focus is good enough for an action camera with a fixed focus lens. Those who want to have images of their faces with their moles, pores and scars in a higher level of detail are wrong: they need a premium autofocus webcam or a professional video camera. [view_image]

We don’t want pictures of our moles, (and it's not helpful to say that) but my Action 3 would not look this good. That’s the point …… some may not be as good as others.

My Action 3 is not as good as yours. I used it yesterday on a vloggy thing and I consistently got slightly fuzzy looking selfies on a DJI stick nearly fully extended.

I’m hoping my new 4 will be better.
2023-8-5
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DavideSevilla Posted at 8-5 03:07
This is a test of my OA3 used at home in artificial light conditions. The 0.4 - 0.3m focus is good enough for an action camera with a fixed focus lens. Those who want to have images of their faces with their moles, pores and scars in a higher level of detail have made a mistake in choosing the type of product: they need a premium autofocus webcam or a professional video camera. [view_image]

Incorrectly adjusted lens on an actioncam with a fixed focus means not only blurry image in the short distance, but also blurry image on a longer distance.
2023-8-5
Use props
DavideSevilla
lvl.2
Spain

Iancraig10 Posted at 8-5 03:11
We don’t want pictures of our moles, (and it's not helpful to say that) but my Action 3 would not look this good. That’s the point …… some may not be as good as others.

My Action 3 is not as good as yours. I used it yesterday on a vloggy thing and I consistently got slightly fuzzy looking selfies on a DJI stick nearly fully extended.

Mi OA3 was manufactured  in 11/2022.
2023-8-5
Use props
DavideSevilla
lvl.2
Spain

JustName Posted at 8-5 03:15
Incorrectly adjusted lens on an actioncam with a fixed focus means not only blurry image in the short distance, but also blurry image on a longer distance.

Of course. A manual adjust at home is possible, but only a few users have got the appropiate  tools in order to do it real time. The trial and error method not infrequently ends in a scratched or even broken lens.
2023-8-5
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DavideSevilla Posted at 8-5 03:23
Mi OA3 was manufactured  in 11/2022.

Mine was first batch, on day of release.

Since I will have the 4, I might try moving the lens on my 3 I think. I didn't have the confidence to do it before, but I don't care now. I couldn't sell it as it is. I'd feel bad!
2023-8-5
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

A reminder for focus aficionados that you can find the test chart here:
https://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/res-chart.html

Or direct link to the PDF:
https://www.graphics.cornell.edu ... _12233-reschart.pdf
2023-8-5
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

You know that I even turned my lens all the way out to be able to show it better in my video... watch out for fingerprints on the sensor if you decide to try that too. I didn't say anything about it in my videos because I forgot to document it...
2023-8-5
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Andreas Dueck Posted at 8-5 13:55
You know that I even turned my lens all the way out to be able to show it better in my video... watch out for fingerprints on the sensor if you decide to try that too. I didn't say anything about it in my videos because I forgot to document it...

And please don't make such mods again like this one.

2023-8-5
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

A test shot this evening.

2023-8-5
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

JustName Posted at 8-5 14:49
And please don't make such mods again like this one. [view_image][view_image][view_image][view_image][view_image][view_image][view_image]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3EYDxuxGl0

I still use this when I want to get really close...
2023-8-5
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Andreas, I am wondering about quality control. My Action 3 has always looked like a poor relation, both on poor detail retrieval and especially close. In fact, close, it looks like a very cheap camera.

Today, I sat in my car waiting for the wife and pointed the Action 4 at the car dashboard, my face, the distance out of the window and it’s sharp as hell. I came home and played the clips on a 55 inch 4K TV and honestly, I couldn’t ask for better.

Now I really feel that this is a GoPro 11 ass kicker because colour and contrast are so well managed; even though the light today is really poor.

I am starting to feel that perhaps the whole nonsense on here with the 3 (hopefully not the 4) was to do with our cameras all being slightly different in terms of focus/detail. I was never able to settle with the 3 but the 4 feels spot on to me, although you felt the need to shift the lens.

In fact, I’m growing to like the 4 more and more with each use.
2023-8-8
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

JustName Posted at 8-5 03:15
Incorrectly adjusted lens on an actioncam with a fixed focus means not only blurry image in the short distance, but also blurry image on a longer distance.

That’s true and one only needs to look at some really bad samples you posted
2023-8-8
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

Iancraig10 Posted at 8-8 04:35
Andreas, I am wondering about quality control. My Action 3 has always looked like a poor relation, both on poor detail retrieval and especially close. In fact, close, it looks like a very cheap camera.

Today, I sat in my car waiting for the wife and pointed the Action 4 at the car dashboard, my face, the distance out of the window and it’s sharp as hell. I came home and played the clips on a 55 inch 4K TV and honestly, I couldn’t ask for better.

It is very unlikely that DJI will make such a mistake with the focus again, they even installed a new lens in the Osmo Action 4 to clearly show that something has been done here. It would have been difficult to sell it if they hadn't. I also noticed that this time the close focus is given a little more priority, which is exactly how I set it with my Osmo Action 3.
2023-8-8
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Andreas Dueck Posted at 8-8 06:35
It is very unlikely that DJI will make such a mistake with the focus again, they even installed a new lens in the Osmo Action 4 to clearly show that something has been done here. It would have been difficult to sell it if they hadn't. I also noticed that this time the close focus is given a little more priority, which is exactly how I set it with my Osmo Action 3.

At first, I thought maybe better contrast makes it appear better close up, but I think this one is right, where my 3 just looks slightly wrong on anything larger than an IPad screen.

In fact, I had the 4 closer than I’d hold the 3 because of focus.

You can tell it’s on the edge of focus, but it is perfectly acceptable.
2023-8-8
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

JustName Posted at 8-5 00:32
No need, I have already set my camera correctly.

Hi, JustName. Thank you for the update.  Just let us know if you need further assistance. Have a wonderful day!
2023-8-8
Use props
LifeUnit
lvl.2
Russia

Hello, I bought a DJI ACTION 4 and I don’t understand, it’s like I have no focus at all, even the inscriptions are not readable from 8 meters. Although I shoot in 4k. USi 100-200

Screenshot_5.jpg
Screenshot_4.jpg
2023-11-7
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

LifeUnit Posted at 11-7 11:00
Hello, I bought a DJI ACTION 4 and I don’t understand, it’s like I have no focus at all, even the inscriptions are not readable from 8 meters. Although I shoot in 4k. USi 100-200

Try to record a 4K video in daylight with Pro mode turned on, and Sharpness 0 and noise reduction -2.
2023-11-7
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Нижнегородский филиал... вроде бы всё читаемо :-)

Попробуй пару снимков при хорошем освещение, и на разном удаление от объектов.  Попробуй фокус на близком расстояние. Если у неё хороший фокус на расстояние меньше! чем 30см, то скорей всего линза установлена не правильно, и на больших расстояниях фокуса не будет.
2023-11-10
Use props
LifeUnit
lvl.2
Russia

JustName Posted at 11-10 14:38
Нижнегородский филиал... вроде бы всё читаемо :-)

Попробуй пару снимков при хорошем освещение, и на разном удаление от объектов.  Попробуй фокус на близком расстояние. Если у неё хороший фокус на расстояние меньше! чем 30см, то скорей всего линза установлена не правильно, и на больших расстояниях фокуса не будет.

В том то и дело что у меня фокус только от 80см. все что ближе, очень размыто(
2023-11-11
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

LifeUnit Posted at 11-11 09:54
В том то и дело что у меня фокус только от 80см. все что ближе, очень размыто(

Это быстро исправляется, в видео всё показано
2023-11-11
Use props
LifeUnit
lvl.2
Russia

JustName Posted at 11-11 10:00
Это быстро исправляется, в видео всё показано

Пробовал зажать ключиком напечатанным на 3д принтере, не смог провернуть
2023-11-11
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

LifeUnit Posted at 11-11 10:20
Пробовал зажать ключиком напечатанным на 3д принтере, не смог провернуть

Нагрей сначало камеру хорошо. Заряди батерейку на полную и включи на запись пока не выключится от перегрева. Потом пробуй.
Лучше всего пинцетом большим.
2023-11-11
Use props
LifeUnit
lvl.2
Russia

Ну что ребята, крутанул я линзу своим пластиковым ключом (напечатанным на принтере), что бы не оставалось никаких следов, (как у людей в видео, после пассатиж или пинцетов), повернул буквально на 3мм против часов стрелки!! И вот теперь нравится. На улице если будет солнце завтра протестирую.
Главное что бы не перекрутил и в далеко было норм, но думаю как раз, должно быть, так как сейчас вообще все размыто было. Будет солнце сделаю сравнение с того же места, там и увидим) ну если что можно вернуть на место)

А пока вот та же самая коробка.
https://imgsli.com/MjE5OTI2 расстояние 20см
https://imgsli.com/MjE5OTMx расстояние 30см
https://imgsli.com/MjE5OTIz расстояние 40см
https://imgsli.com/MjE5OTI0 расстояние 50см
https://imgsli.com/MjE5OTI3 расстояние 70см

2023-11-12
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Выглядит значительно лучше!
2023-11-12
Use props
LifeUnit
lvl.2
Russia

Сдвинул вообще 2-3мм, не уверен что в далеко станет лучше, возможно крутить нужно еще больше.

2023-11-12
Use props
djiuser_jmGbKXjjCfsk
New

United States

I had high hopes for the 4.think I'll go back to gopro
2023-12-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules