Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Capturing lightning
746 2 2023-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

Finally we had a huge storm and I tried to capture lightning with my OA3. Never captured lightning before so obviously I made a lot of mistakes. I wanted to be quick so didn't pay attention to settings, I just quickly turned off stabilization (since I used a small tripod) and switched to 2.7k 4:3 @30fps.

- Turns out, the lightning is so darn fast, 30fps really doesn't cut it (...who would've thought!) I'm guessing it's the shutter that is visible in some of the frames where you see some rectangle-like areas on the top/bottom of the frames (frames 2, 4, 5, 9, 10)
- Don't film using auto in the dark! LOL. I realized later I should've put it in 100ISO otherwise the noise is just bad.
- I did manage to capture a little "flare" on frames 5, 8, and 10 (8 being the best)
- These are consecutives frames (captured at 30fps 2.7k 4:3)

Next time I will try to pay more attention to the settings.

lightning.jpg
2023-8-4
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

If you have captured lightning before with your OA3, please feel free to share some ideas!
2023-8-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Valiant attempt to capture lightning.    You definitely caught the bolt in Frame 8.  I've never tried to capture lightning so I have no tips.  In fact I do my best to avoid thunderstorms with lightning because several years back I saw two sailor get struck by lightning as they ran from a building to their car.  Both survived but now have permanent neuro issues.  So I have a healthy respect for the powers of lightning.  
2023-8-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules