Mavic 3 Vertical banding in Slomo with low light
705 10 2023-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CalebSpillyards
lvl.1
Flight distance : 249652 ft
United States

Hey all, just wanted to see if anyone has had this issue, and if this is a problem or something to be expected pushing the sensor. Last night i was shooting some videos just after sunset and was shooting slomo at 1600 iso, and my footage has some vertical banding alternatiing purple and yellow.  it can be graded out (sort of) if i lower the exposure and crush the darks quite a bit but that sort of defeats the purpose.  I was wondering if anyone has had or seen issues like this, could point me to a thread, or if this is perhaps an issue with my drone.  thanks in advance!
2023-8-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please upload a video or screenshot showing the issue so we can check? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-8-8
Use props
CalebSpillyards
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

here's a screenshot, most noticeable on the right side

2023-8-8
Use props
CalebSpillyards
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-8 17:28
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please upload a video or screenshot showing the issue so we can check? Please keep us posted. Thank you.

hello I posted a screenshot above
2023-8-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

CalebSpillyards Posted at 8-10 18:39
hello I posted a screenshot above

Thank you for the information provided. Does the issue apply to all the images that you captured? Also, does the issue also occurs when capturing footage during the day? Please download the DJI Assistant 2 software and please update/refresh the firmware of the drone and have a test flight to check if the issue persists. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-8-12
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ISO 1600, slo mo and low light are a horrendous combination for artefacts in your footage. You're asking too much from your camera.
2023-8-13
Use props
CalebSpillyards
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

CloudVisual Posted at 8-13 01:24
ISO 1600, slo mo and low light are a horrendous combination for artefacts in your footage. You're asking too much from your camera.

clearly not ideal conditions, but thats the way the cookie crumbles when he sun is going down and there are epic cascading waterfalls and crazy swell.  Noise was to be expected, the banding seems excessive.  ive pushed my 5d mark 1 - 4 and my r5 to very high noise levels testing, and in other not ideal conditions and while ive gotten a lot of noise in color and luminance channels ive never seen banding like this that was in the entire clip.  but then again admittedly im not as knowledgeable about the sensors and cameras on the mavics.  1600 wouldn't do anything on my dslr slomotion or not.  Why is it so much worse on these cameras?
2023-8-13
Use props
CalebSpillyards
lvl.1
Puerto Rico

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-12 22:44
Thank you for the information provided. Does the issue apply to all the images that you captured? Also, does the issue also occurs when capturing footage during the day? Please download the DJI Assistant 2 software and please update/refresh the firmware of the drone and have a test flight to check if the issue persists. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

no it seemed to only have an effect on the slo motion setting.
2023-8-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

CalebSpillyards Posted at 8-13 10:30
no it seemed to only have an effect on the slo motion setting.

Thank you for your response, Caleb. Please try to refresh the firmware and if the issue persists, please upload the original video file so we can check it further. We appreciate your understanding.
2023-8-13
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CalebSpillyards Posted at 8-13 10:30
clearly not ideal conditions, but thats the way the cookie crumbles when he sun is going down and there are epic cascading waterfalls and crazy swell.  Noise was to be expected, the banding seems excessive.  ive pushed my 5d mark 1 - 4 and my r5 to very high noise levels testing, and in other not ideal conditions and while ive gotten a lot of noise in color and luminance channels ive never seen banding like this that was in the entire clip.  but then again admittedly im not as knowledgeable about the sensors and cameras on the mavics.  1600 wouldn't do anything on my dslr slomotion or not.  Why is it so much worse on these cameras?

I'm left scratching my head at your comment...

You're asking; why would a full frame camera perform so much better than a flying MFT sensor. I also owned a 5D and currently own an R5 and these are cameras that professionals are happy to rely on. You can't compare these DSLR cameras to what is essentially a stripped down, consumer-grade, flying camera. DJI had to cut a lot of corners to get a lightweight drone to market.

What you're basically saying is, I can't understand why my Honda can't keep up with my Ferrari.

Granted, banding isn't something I'd expect from a camera being pushed too far, but I never venture into any ISO higher than 400 on these drones due to the noise issues. I firmly beleive though, that slomo and high ISO could lead to some unusual artefacts given the bitrate constraints combined with noise.

If you want to get the same results as you do from your DSLRs then you need to look at the Inspire 3 series, which aligns with the pro-level you're asking for.

2023-8-14
Use props
CalebSpillyards
lvl.1
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 8-14 03:34
I'm left scratching my head at your comment...

You're asking; why would a full frame camera perform so much better than a flying MFT sensor. I also owned a 5D and currently own an R5 and these are cameras that professionals are happy to rely on. You can't compare these DSLR cameras to what is essentially a stripped down, consumer-grade, flying camera. DJI had to cut a lot of corners to get a lightweight drone to market.

Although condescending lol I do appreciate the feedback.  Again, I would expect noise or artifacts, but complete banding made me wonder about a possible defect in my drone specifically.  
2023-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules