DJI Air 3 - Max Flight Distance 3 KM instead of 32 KM?!
12Next >
6311 47 2023-8-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
H3llo
lvl.3
Netherlands

I have 2x DJI Air 3 with RC-2  screen and on both aircrafts i only can get a range from max 3 KM on a open field. (No Wind) I'm sitting with the RC-2 behind the Aircraft (Take-Off).

As you can see from 2.8 KM i'm getting weak signal and the screen is flickering.
I decided to stop and go back otherwise i would lose signal.

(I have also a another screen record footage where i lost signal at 2.9 KM distance @ 300 meter height and the aircraft is automatically switching to RTH)

I refreshed and updated the latest firmware on both devices. On the RC-2 Transmission frequency is always on Dual-Band.
I also tried 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. The controller is also heading the Aircraft as you can see the green triangle in the left corner. But still the same results

I contacted DJI and they said i have to send the Aircraft and RC-2 back to the warehouse.
I received a brand new one and also with the new one i only get max 3 KM.

https://www.dji.com/nl/air-3/specs

According DJI website DJI Air 3 specs its says:

Max Flight Distance: 32 KM
Max Transmission Distance (unobstructed, free of interference)
FCC: 20 km
CE: 10 km
SRRC: 10 km
MIC: 10 km
---
Max Transmission Distance (unobstructed, with interference)
Strong Interference: urban landscape, approx. 1.5-4 km
Medium Interference: suburban landscape, approx. 4-10 km
Low Interference: suburb/seaside, approx. 10-20 km
---

So why i'm getting range of 3 KM at seaside?
I need to get 10 KM AT LEAST right? (According CE: 10 km)

Does somebody know how i can fix this?

2023-8-10
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

First, please follow the rules. https://www.nlr.nl/dronecentre/

Then Max Flight Distance is different than Max transmission distance... CE=10km (without any interference)
2023-8-10
Use props
H3llo
lvl.3
Netherlands

LV_Forestry Posted at 8-10 22:31
First, please follow the rules. https://www.nlr.nl/dronecentre/

Then Max Flight Distance is different than Max transmission distance... CE=10km (without any interference)
I don’t see any “Rules” in the link that you provided

The range of the transmission needs to be 10 KM right? So why i’m getting only 2.8 KM?!
2023-8-10
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

H3llo Posted at 8-10 23:02

The range of the transmission needs to be 10 KM right? So why i’m getting only 2.8 KM?!

I am not the police.  Just a friendly user who reminds you that the use of drones is regulated in Europe.  The link to the civil aviation of your country, it's up to you to be interested.  If you have any questions related to this, feel free to ask.  

For the range of the drone, this is a problem that has been mentioned many times, regardless of the model.
2023-8-11
Use props
H3llo
lvl.3
Netherlands

H3llo Posted at 8-10 23:02

How can i fix this? And get minimum 10 KM flight distance range?!
2023-8-11
Use props
H3llo
lvl.3
Netherlands

LV_Forestry Posted at 8-11 00:24
I am not the police.  Just a friendly user who reminds you that the use of drones is regulated in Europe.  The link to the civil aviation of your country, it's up to you to be interested.  If you have any questions related to this, feel free to ask.  

For the range of the drone, this is a problem that has been mentioned many times, regardless of the model.

Well, you're acting like one and giving law rules explaination etc. Your responses has nothing to do with the question of this topic.
Please give correct answers related to the questions

My only question was/is:

The range of the transmission needs to be 10 KM right?
So why i'm getting only 2.8 KM?!
And how can i just reach the 10 KM?

2023-8-11
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

H3llo Posted at 8-11 00:32
My only question was/is:

The range of the transmission needs to be 10 KM right?

These 10Km are a theoretical maximum value that can be reached under certain conditions described on the product page.  

Do not post videos in which the rules are broken if you do not wish to receive comments.
2023-8-11
Use props
H3llo
lvl.3
Netherlands

LV_Forestry Posted at 8-11 00:45
These 10Km are a theoretical maximum value that can be reached under certain conditions described on the product page.  

Do not post videos in which the rules are broken if you do not wish to receive comments.
This thread is not about the rules of the video footage, but a specific technical question of the 2 devices ( Aircraft and RC2 ) according DJI Air 3 specs we need to fly min. 10KM and max 32 with the Air 3 right? At open field. We need to get the 10 KM guaranteed. but that is not the case, so how can we fix this? Or is DJI lying with their specs on their website? “Then that’s also a broken rule” maybe you can complain at them for breaking the rules? Promoting their product with 10/32KM but in practice only 2.8KM ??
2023-8-11
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12425794 ft
  • >>>
United States

H3llo Posted at 8-11 00:52
This thread is not about the rules of the video footage, but a specific technical question of the 2 devices ( Aircraft and RC2 ) according DJI Air 3 specs we need to fly min. 10KM and max 32 with the Air 3 right? At open field. We need to get the 10 KM guaranteed. but that is not the case, so how can we fix this? Or is DJI lying with their specs on their website? “Then that’s also a broken rule” maybe you can complain at them for breaking the rules? Promoting their product with 10/32KM but in practice only 2.8KM ??

You must be getting medium to strong interference at your seaside.
2023-8-11
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

H3llo Posted at 8-11 00:52
This thread is not about the rules of the video footage, but a specific technical question of the 2 devices ( Aircraft and RC2 ) according DJI Air 3 specs we need to fly min. 10KM and max 32 with the Air 3 right? At open field. We need to get the 10 KM guaranteed. but that is not the case, so how can we fix this? Or is DJI lying with their specs on their website? “Then that’s also a broken rule” maybe you can complain at them for breaking the rules? Promoting their product with 10/32KM but in practice only 2.8KM ??

The maximum flying distance under IDEAL flight conditions is listed as 10KM with CE certification.  While looking great on paper, this most likely will not be achieved by the general flying public.  

Most drone operators will not reach those distances due to a combination of limitations caused by Battery life, Radio Certification, Country Laws, and obstacle interference.

This is why DJI does NOT guarantee you will be able to fly to a maximum distance.  
2023-8-11
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Flormo2002 Posted at 8-11 03:16
You must be getting medium to strong interference at your seaside.

32KM has nothing to do with transmission distance. It means that in a perfect world with no interference what's so ever, the battery has enough juice to travel a overall distance of 32KM before the battery runs out. Understand now?
2023-8-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, thank you for reaching us. I understand your concerns. Please rest assured that the official flight parameters are measured in an environment with suitable altitude and temperature without interference. In daily use, if you need to control a longer distance, you need to make the antenna of the mobile device face the aircraft, and please fly in a good signal environment. This can not only ensure your flight safety, but also obtain a more stable image transmission effect. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.
2023-8-11
Use props
H3llo
lvl.3
Netherlands

I know. I always fly like you say. The 2 antenna’s from the RC-2 is facing the aircraft.

And i’m flying in a good signal environment (Also tested in the woods and beach) See in the video on the left corner the green triangle is heading to the aircraft. I have now carried out 5 test flights and all lost signal at 3 KM?!

You would think I should get at least 10KM or 5KM, right?!

So how can i fix this? and get 5 KM or 10 KM as result?

This guy: https://youtu.be/CgrKtc3arS8
Is getting 11 KM - one way with his Mini 3 Pro
And me 2.8 KM - one way with my Air 3

You would think that the new Air 3 with O4 will have to perform better, right?!
2023-8-11
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

H3llo Posted at 8-11 08:44
I know. I always fly like you say. The 2 antenna’s from the RC-2 is facing the aircraft. And i’m flying in a good signal environment (Also tested in the woods and beach) See in the video on the left corner the green triangle is heading to the aircraft. I have now carried out 5 test flights and all lost signal at 3 KM?!

You would think I should get at least 10KM or 5KM, right?!

I have no idea why you'd want to fly that far to begin with but try changing locations? I watched a video the other day where a guy was flying out in the Salt Flats and I believe he flew over 30,000 feet(9.144 KM) until he had to land because of insufficient battery life. As they say, it's all about location, location, location.
2023-8-11
Use props
H3llo
lvl.3
Netherlands

Flormo2002 Posted at 8-11 09:01
I have no idea why you'd want to fly that far to begin with but try changing locations? I watched a video the other day where a guy was flying out in the Salt Flats and I believe he flew over 30,000 feet(9.144 KM) until he had to land because of insufficient battery life. As they say, it's all about location, location, location.
I don't even know why you are responding to this thread. because your comment is useless. Please answer the topic questions and don’t spam this thread with nonsense and stay on topic. (as I mentioned before i did 5 tests/ different locations) with antenna’s up:  but still the same results. Is there a solution for this?

P.s - no offense but we are on this forum to help each other and solving problems and not for discussing why that and why so. I hope that there are some people with knowledge that can assist/guide/help/solve our issue!
2023-8-11
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

This thread will at least have the merit of letting us know that there is someone who doesn't give a damn about the laws in Den Haag area.

Beach friends, put away your children, wear your helmets, H3llo is here.

2023-8-11
Use props
H3llo
lvl.3
Netherlands

LV_Forestry Posted at 8-11 09:46
This thread will at least have the merit of letting us know that there is someone who doesn't give a damn about the laws in Den Haag area.

Beach friends, put away your children, wear your helmets, H3llo is here.
Why are you placing childish comments? You think this is funny? Grow up dude. We have different business licenses and unlocked area’s to fly. So please stop jumping to conclusions and blaming people! I have also a footage of greece where the signal is lost at 3 KM. 1 tip: if you can’t help a member out and give correct answers then please be quite and go drone.
2023-8-11
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

H3llo Posted at 8-11 09:52
Why are you placing childish comments? You think this is funny? Grow up dude. We have different business licenses and unlocked area’s to fly. So please stop jumping to conclusions and blaming people! I have also a footage of greece where the signal is lost at 3 KM. 1 tip: if you can’t help a member out and give correct answers then please be quite and go drone.

The problem is that here it is a public space where everyone can see what is published. This kind of performance posted on Youtube is harmful to the whole community. This gives arguments against us to those who make the laws and vote them.

So obviously for people like you who don't care, it doesn't change anything. But for honest people it's unpleasant.

And don't start talking about a license, I have no doubt that you should at least be a captain on a jumbo jet...

The answer to your question has been given several times here among hundred other thread.

Now if you want to make a legal claim, no problem. File a complaint against DJI, with the local police or whatever is in service in your country, do not forget to attach your video, and your licenses. It would be a shame to be fooled on a single shot.

People here are kind to each other, the goal is to avoid negatively exposing the community. So please respect that.
2023-8-11
Use props
H3llo
lvl.3
Netherlands

LV_Forestry Posted at 8-11 10:03
The problem is that here it is a public space where everyone can see what is published. This kind of performance posted on Youtube is harmful to the whole community. This gives arguments against us to those who make the laws and vote them.

So obviously for people like you who don't care, it doesn't change anything. But for honest people it's unpleasant.

Now you are acting like a pro! Thanks for your clear explanation. I will take further steps. Have a nice weekend!
2023-8-11
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

H3llo Posted at 8-11 10:12
Now you are acting like a pro! Thanks for your clear explanation. I will take further steps. Have a nice weekend!
Hoping that you take the right steps, that will do what is necessary to fly safe for you but especially for others.  

If you have any question regarding the drone law in Europe, feel free to search the forum first, then open a thread if necessary.

Have a nice weekend as well
2023-8-11
Use props
ReproRetro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 688652 ft
Australia

I have flown my Air 2S more than 6 Km away on several occassions with a strong signal, although never higher than 120 m abouve ground level (the legal height limit in Australia. So your Air 3 should easilly exceed that.
I've had problems on two occassions, once I got a weak signal at about 4 km but I was facing away from the drone. When I turned to face it I got a strong signal again. I can't guarantee the direction I was facing was the problem.

The second time I was just 4 km away and I got connection problems becasue I was flying too low (under 30 m) in a surburban area and the signals from the houses were interferring with my signal and I got a warning to ascend immediately.

2023-8-11
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Latvia

ReproRetro Posted at 8-11 21:55
I have flown my Air 2S more than 6 Km away on several occassions with a strong signal, although never higher than 120 m abouve ground level (the legal height limit in Australia. So your Air 3 should easilly exceed that.
I've had problems on two occassions, once I got a weak signal at about 4 km but I was facing away from the drone. When I turned to face it I got a strong signal again. I can't guarantee the direction I was facing was the problem.

Are you sure you have the same RC power before you wrote such things?
2023-8-12
Use props
H3llo
lvl.3
Netherlands

ReproRetro Posted at 8-11 21:55

Hi ReproMetro,

Thanks for your reply!
Which controller did you used during the flight?

Greetz
2023-8-12
Use props
AlexanderK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2066709 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

With what kind of paperwork are you even allowed to fly these distances in the Netherlands? Why would you even want to?
2023-8-12
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

H3llo Posted at 8-11 09:03
I don't even know why you are responding to this thread. because your comment is useless. Please answer the topic questions and don’t spam this thread with nonsense and stay on topic. (as I mentioned before i did 5 tests/ different locations) with antenna’s up:  but still the same results. Is there a solution for this?

P.s - no offense but we are on this forum to help each other and solving problems and not for discussing why that and why so. I hope that there are some people with knowledge that can assist/guide/help/solve our issue!

What's with the anger? Settle down there cowboy. You must be a youngster or certainly acting like one?
2023-8-12
Use props
H3llo
lvl.3
Netherlands

AlexanderK Posted at 8-12 04:28
With what kind of paperwork are you even allowed to fly these distances in the Netherlands? Why would you even want to?
Why? Why? Why? Why you are asking off-topic questions? A forum is for helping your members and not for useless discussions. Please stay on topic and don’t go off topic. And FYI: The footage was just an example from the Netherlands. We fly around the world and have STS-01 + SORA licenses. So please to all of you; don’t worry about that and please read the thread again and give helpfull/usefull answers instead of why this and why that; which has nothing to do with the topic. Have a blessed weekend!
2023-8-12
Use props
Sascha.ES
lvl.4
Spain

You can look at YT. There are five long range tests. One about 60.000 ft.
2023-8-12
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

Just because you're in an open area doesn't mean there aren't sources of interference around. In the DJI Fly app, go to the Transmission screen and look at the realtime graph showing the signal strength and possible interference.
2023-8-12
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

Based on your wording & posting different refrences in different post I am taking the liberty to assume that you are new to flying drones & are not fully aware of transmission protocols & their signal strength.  

You can see the flight here:
https://youtube.com/shorts/iWYmW8UNuko

No we actually cant see in vertically cropped video which you posted of the original horizontal screen reording so dont know how you were positioned towards the drone.

Low Interference: suburb/seaside, approx. 10-20 km
---

You are just reading the numbers & assuming that your seaside beach is free on interference which may be or may be not, infact seaside can have more interference in some cases.

So why i'm getting range of 3 KM at seaside?
I need to get 10 KM AT LEAST right? (According CE: 10 km)
How can i fix this? And get minimum 10 KM flight distance range?
10KM is MAX range under test condition (you are assuming that 10km be minimum) which you will never get in the real world. Usually we get 1/3 to 1/4th of that Max range which is what you are getting in your country running CE mode transmision. Now based on the Max 10km in CE you are getting 3kms which is quite good you can improve it in some different location but for that we need to see screen recording of transmission page on the RC so next flight you test kindly post screen recording full without cropping which will show signal interference you are dealing with.

10KM and max 32 with the Air 3 right? At open field. We need to get the  10 KM guaranteed. but that is not the case, so how can we fix this?
Your are desperately just reading the numbers without actually understanding the tranmision protocols & the numbers realated to each protocol in test condition vs ideal real world condition.

This guy:
Is getting 11 KM - one way with his Mini 3 Pro
And me 2.8 KM - one way with my Air 3

You are flying in a CE country where signal strength is limited to 1/4th as compared to FCC mode.
11kms flight example you are quoting is of FCC country so any comparision with CE mode is meaningless. You move with Air3 in FCC country & fly there you will see the range improvement for sure.

Hope this helps & you can now read the numbers in their actual context & understand it.
Feel free if you have any further questions, members will try to answer your queries.

2023-8-12
Use props
H3llo
lvl.3
Netherlands

Hi Ranjan,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation! I was also thinking if it had to do with CE and CFF. We will try too screenrecord the transmission page for you. (CE) and next month we will try it in US (FCC) and will let you know! Have a nice day!
2023-8-12
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

H3llo Posted at 8-12 23:58
Hi Ranjan,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation! I was also thinking if it had to do with CE and CFF. We will try too screenrecord the transmission page for you. (CE) and next month we will try it in US (FCC) and will let you know! Have a nice day!

Hi, there. Please let us know the test result and screen-record the flight if the issue persists. It would be helpful for us to further verify the issue for you. Thank you in advance.
2023-8-13
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

There are 2 scenarios, if You can get longer range in the same places with older Occusync transmission system (like Air 2 or Mavic 3) Your device if faulty. But 3 km range in CE region is better than average I'm affraid (Europe is crowded and the air is polluted with interference of all kinds plus the RC transmission power is more limited here) and this range (3 km in CE mode) is simply attribute of this device...
2023-8-13
Use props
AlexanderK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2066709 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

H3llo Posted at 8-12 05:54
Why? Why? Why? Why you are asking off-topic questions? A forum is for helping your members and not for useless discussions. Please stay on topic and don’t go off topic. And FYI: The footage was just an example from the Netherlands. We fly around the world and have STS-01 + SORA licenses. So please to all of you; don’t worry about that and please read the thread again and give helpfull/usefull answers instead of why this and why that; which has nothing to do with the topic. Have a blessed weekend!

chill down a bit... seriously wonderig about paperwork and reasons why you would fly these distances.
2023-8-30
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Don't forget, it's not just interference where the controller is, it's also where the drone is.
2023-8-30
Use props
Geo_Drone
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

The distance is based on lab tests, do not imagine that DJI takes the drone and fly it in Europe at 10km distance.
So outside is a different situation....you have particles, if is dust it can get magnetized and affects transmission on long distance, any 5G station will disrupt the band, any router or mesh network = the same.
So DJI is specifying that is under LABOR TEST conditions, not real.

You can use FCC to boost signal to 10km without problems, but does it worth it? I cannot imagine what you can find at 10km ....also considering that you will get 70% battery empty until you get there and back, what the hell do you want to record in less then 5 minutes remaining for video/photo time????
2023-9-5
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

You might be in ce in your country. The max for the air 3 is 20km that is fcc country. But even with fcc you will not get 20km. It's not the air 3 fault. It seem like its your country regulations. Your country is ce, so that is max 10km in control place. When you fly outside you will never get 10km. You get like 1/3 of it. So you getting 3km is normal. Stop returning your drone for a new one and fawk the next owner with a used drone. Doesnt matter how many times you exchange your drone. You will always get 3km. Because that is your country law. Fly by the law, its there for a reason. Most country you have to be able to see your drone or you breaking the law. I doubt you can see a tiny drone 3km. You already breaking the law trying go that far. Lmao. Fcc will give more distance but you can't switch it. It's your country law. So drone auto switch to fcc or ce depend on where you are.
2023-9-5
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5414203 ft
  • >>>
Germany

The Mavic 3 is specified for 8 km range in CE. I did reach 8,1 km in 120m height in mostly unpopulated rural area. And I did not return because of reception, I did return because of the battery, wanted to be sure it will last the whole way back.

Since this test I would not say anymore that DJI's range specification cannot be reached in real environment. It can. But finding an area with (almost) no interference is not easy.

Perhaps I will do a range test with the Air 3 some day. But it is not relevant for me. Everybody has to fly VLOS, it is mandatory. And there are other things to consider: weather, trees or other obstacles. Keywords are humidity and fresnel zone.
2023-9-5
Use props
Arizona Wyldwest
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75194 ft
United States

Sounds like its working as it should in a medium to strong interference area.
2023-9-6
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

SeehawerB Posted at 9-5 21:48
The Mavic 3 is specified for 8 km range in CE. I did reach 8,1 km in 120m height in mostly unpopulated rural area. And I did not return because of reception, I did return because of the battery, wanted to be sure it will last the whole way back.

Since this test I would not say anymore that DJI's range specification cannot be reached in real environment. It can. But finding an area with (almost) no interference is not easy.

You said everyone have to fly within vlos. It is the law. So tell us, how did you see your drone 8km away? Cause pass 1km is very hard to see. Even here in the USA where we have FCC, we are still required to fly within vlos. You have eagle eyes to see your drone 8km away. XD
2023-9-6
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5414203 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I had several spotters hiding in the bushes down below, all equipped with radios and binoculars. All beautiful women from the local social club.

You don't see them? Well, you shouldn't. They don't like to be seen.
2023-9-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules